MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

39 minutes ago, katfude said:

Has anyone brought up COVID in their interviews? I have my first interview tomorrow with UMass, then one with BU and Tyler next week and am curious if it is taboo to question how they are going to navigate the potential upcoming school year. UMass is a three year program so I am leaning toward them solely based on the chance that if things go virtual again, I will still have a full two years of in person classes (hopefully). I'm not sure how to press the other schools without seeming judgmental or closed off.  

Personally, I asked about covid in both of my interviews. I framed it in more of a question based on how our covid reality has changed the way their program functions. I checked the schools website and read up on their official covid protocols, so I wasn’t really curious about that, just more of how the actual art department has altered the way the function to best serve graduate students during this time. I found that both times I got some deeper insight on how they have made their programs worthwhile when things are vastly different, and I personally felt like the question was received positively. I really just want to know what I would be getting into, and I think all of the schools are expecting that! It wasn’t the first question I asked, sort of just tacked onto the end because both of my interviewers were able to go past the allotted time I was scheduled. 

The advice to focus on your practice is good advice. That said, I think asking about COVID is a great question to determine how organized and flexible your program is. Some schools set up excellent systems to support students and some haven’t. This is a excellent way to see if a school has their shit together. Not all schools do...

8 hours ago, SpillToBuilt said:

Of course you are welcome to hang with us visual artists, but you may find more accurate info on the writing boards. :)

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/80-literary/

Oops. I didn’t know it was separated like that. I just typed in SAIC in the search bar. But while I have you here (lol). I have an interview with SAIC on Saturday and I’m not sure if I should wear a suit or something more casual. What do you guys think? 

9 minutes ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

The advice to focus on your practice is good advice. That said, I think asking about COVID is a great question to determine how organized and flexible your program is. Some schools set up excellent systems to support students and some haven’t. This is a excellent way to see if a school has their shit together. Not all schools do...

Thank you!!!! Yes, pretty much exactly where I am coming from-- after seeing so many of my friends currently in grad school being completely horrified by their post-covid experiences (sry yale), I am a bit paranoid about picking a school with a big price tag that is underprepared to deliver a quality education during this time. 

University of Wisconsin-Madison just sent an email out letting people know if they're on the wait list. I assume offers of admission have also been sent out or will soon.

2 hours ago, katfude said:

Has anyone brought up COVID in their interviews? I have my first interview tomorrow with UMass, then one with BU and Tyler next week and am curious if it is taboo to question how they are going to navigate the potential upcoming school year. UMass is a three year program so I am leaning toward them solely based on the chance that if things go virtual again, I will still have a full two years of in person classes (hopefully). I'm not sure how to press the other schools without seeming judgmental or closed off.  

Hey Katfude, I graduated from the BFA program at BU. I was very involved within the program and had first hand experience working with the grad department, students, and faculty. If you want any inside to the program just let me know! I would be more than happy to talk to you about it! 

hi everybody, so I’ve had 3 interviews and in my last one at the very end they asked me what my personality is like and if I was applying to other schools.. honestly, it threw me off so much, especially because it was at the end, I tend to get winded after 45 min of talking. Anyways, isn’t it an odd question? I understand why they would want to know my personality... But it seems to me it’s the kind of thing you perceive by asking other questions... anyways, i blabbered an honestly weird response I realize now.. lol... it seems my default mode is weird, I just go in trying to be myself you know? ugh, it’s frustrating because I truly feel I had aced all the interview until that very last moment. Anybody else has been asked similar questions? Is it common? I hadn’t been asked this before in any of the other interviews.

Edited by Hphphphp

7 minutes ago, Hphphphp said:

hi everybody, so I’ve had 3 interviews and in my last one at the very end they asked me what my personality is like and if I was applying to other schools.. honestly, it threw me off so much, especially because it was at the end, I tend to get winded after 45 min of talking. Anyways, isn’t it an odd question? I understand why they would want to know my personality... But it seems to me it’s the kind of thing you perceive by asking other questions... anyways, i blabbered an honestly weird response I realize now.. lol... it seems my default mode is weird, I just go in trying to be myself you know? ugh, it’s frustrating because I truly feel I had aced all the interview until that very last moment. Anybody else has been asked similar questions? Is it common? I hadn’t been asked this before in any of the other interviews.

the personality question is kind of strange... one of the schools I interviewed at which was a UC kept pressing whether or not I had applied and been accepted to other places, but they ask that for scholarship reasons. I think if you get an offer, they can help you get more financial aid for a counter offer.

7 minutes ago, beepbopboop said:

the personality question is kind of strange... one of the schools I interviewed at which was a UC kept pressing whether or not I had applied and been accepted to other places, but they ask that for scholarship reasons. I think if you get an offer, they can help you get more financial aid for a counter offer.

That makes sense about the financial aid... and the personality thing, I don’t know... I feel like letters of recommendation are probably good for that

Sounds like you did great. Interviews are awkward enterprises and it’s typical that there’s moments that don’t go perfect. Asking someone about their personality is not a weird question to me—and I ask it a lot when I interview people in my corporate job. I typically ask that when someone is being overly serious or formal and I can’t figure their vibe out. Conceptually it’s aligned with the “Would I want to have a drink with them?” test.

1 hour ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

Sounds like you did great. Interviews are awkward enterprises and it’s typical that there’s moments that don’t go perfect. Asking someone about their personality is not a weird question to me—and I ask it a lot when I interview people in my corporate job. I typically ask that when someone is being overly serious or formal and I can’t figure their vibe out. Conceptually it’s aligned with the “Would I want to have a drink with them?” test.

Thanks, I appreciate your perspective. I do tend to be overly formal... I think actually that is part of my personality, and I also think it’s partly cultural. When in doubt I always prefer to come across as formal than a faux pas. But I know that this aspect of my personality intimidates and throws off a lot of people. I think it’s exacerbated by the fact that I am a woman... you have no idea the amount of times I’ve been told to “smile more.” Being aware of this means I purposefully try to smile in interviews though, I find it helps me relax too... but you know smiling too much can also look silly. Ahhh.. the double binds!

15 hours ago, che artist said:

Congrats!! Did you interview or just get a call? Anything in the mail?

call! they said they called but there is also something coming in the mail... i didn't receive any financial aid whatsoever, and would be curious to hear if anyone else that applied for low res got a scholarship. 

Hey y'all! I had my interview with UPenn late last week and think it went really well. They said I should hear back in a few weeks so probably by the beginning of March. I'm still waiting to hear back from Hunter and Indiana U.

This morning I got an email acceptance from U Iowa for painting! 

3 minutes ago, ruralpaintin said:

Hey y'all! I had my interview with UPenn late last week and think it went really well. They said I should hear back in a few weeks so probably by the beginning of March. I'm still waiting to hear back from Hunter and Indiana U.

Congrats! Did you interview at Iowa? 

10 minutes ago, ruralpaintin said:

Hey, congrats on your acceptance first of all!

I also interviewed with UPenn about two weeks ago, and I got this email from admissions and financial aid that said:

Admissions notification letters will be available online after 12:00 PM (noon) Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, March 11th. To view your decision letter, you must log into your ApplyWeb account.

I hope that solid date helps! I'm also waiting on Indiana, but different department. Best of luck to you as well!

16 minutes ago, Waiting2021 said:

Congrats! Did you interview at Iowa? 

Thank you so much! I never interviewed; I was under the impression they simply went through applications and decided based on that. They possibly interview some applicants? 

8 minutes ago, aniben3 said:

Hey, congrats on your acceptance first of all!

I also interviewed with UPenn about two weeks ago, and I got this email from admissions and financial aid that said:

Admissions notification letters will be available online after 12:00 PM (noon) Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, March 11th. To view your decision letter, you must log into your ApplyWeb account.

I hope that solid date helps! I'm also waiting on Indiana, but different department. Best of luck to you as well!

Thank you so much! And thank you for letting me know about the timeline. I haven't received anything else yet after my interview but I'll update if I do. 

We might possibly end up in the same grad program, or at the same school? That's super cool! Do you have an Instagram? You can DM me on here.

12 minutes ago, ruralpaintin said:

Thank you so much! And thank you for letting me know about the timeline. I haven't received anything else yet after my interview but I'll update if I do. 

We might possibly end up in the same grad program, or at the same school? That's super cool! Do you have an Instagram? You can DM me on here.

Will do! 

So I'm just very curious. Did anyone else here who applied for SVA Fine Arts receive an admit or are they still doing their interviews? I just found it a little unbelievable that they'd send an acceptance to me in the middle of Feb when they clearly specified its going to be by 1st April. Plus I just got an email. Don't most colleges send a postal mail and some sort of package?