MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 hour ago, Artist99 said:

What are you looking to know? I know that after the MFA walkout, they restructured their program and hired different faculty. From what I hear they are a very queer, concept oriented program! I applied in January, and I am currently awaiting a decision!

I did too! I guess I was wondering if the students now were actually happy/satisfied with the changes they made?

1 hour ago, WeWillAllPersevere said:

In my most recent interview I got unexpectedly grilled about my age... like about how young I was. How do y'all feel about this? It feels like a backhanded question meant to throw ppl off, has anyone else been in a similar situation? 

giphy.gif

I'm not TOTALLY surprised - are you fresh out of undergrad? The average age for someone getting an MFA is getting higher, I think and my understanding is that some life experience outside of school is appealing to them. But who knows, it definitely is a bummer if it came off in a weird way

3 hours ago, WeWillAllPersevere said:

In my most recent interview I got unexpectedly grilled about my age... like about how young I was. How do y'all feel about this? It feels like a backhanded question meant to throw ppl off, has anyone else been in a similar situation? 

giphy.gif

Hey, if you don't mind me asking how old you are? If I get accepted for the upcoming cycle I will be turning 24. The age discrepancy is definitely something that is considered. My mentor and undergrad professor was actually on the MFA committee at BU, so I got a lot of valuable advise from them. They told me it is VERY rare for them to accept you into an MFA program right out of undergrad. I actually took a year off before I applied because it makes you more marketable. I know it sicks, that just how the game is played. I am sorry that they brought it up during your interview, that is very unprofessional!  

Another thing to they consider is not only your age, but your maturity level during the interview... meaning, you may be one of the youngest candidates but that does not automatically disqualify you. It is all about how you answer their questions. They are not looking for perfection. Remember that in your interview... striving for perfection makes you seem immature. Acknowledge that  you  might not know all of the answers, but that is why you are pursuing an MFA.... They love hearing things like that!

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with! Best of luck!   

20 minutes ago, Artist99 said:

Hey, if you don't mind me asking how old you are? If I get accepted for the upcoming cycle I will be turning 24. The age discrepancy is definitely something that is considered. My mentor and undergrad professor was actually on the MFA committee at BU, so I got a lot of valuable advise from them. They told me it is VERY rare for them to accept you into an MFA program right out of undergrad. I actually took a year off before I applied because it makes you more marketable. I know it sicks, that just how the game is played. I am sorry that they brought it up during your interview, that is very unprofessional!  

Another thing to they consider is not only your age, but your maturity level during the interview... meaning, you may be one of the youngest candidates but that does not automatically disqualify you. It is all about how you answer their questions. They are not looking for perfection. Remember that in your interview... striving for perfection makes you seem immature. Acknowledge that  you  might not know all of the answers, but that is why you are pursuing an MFA.... They love hearing things like that!

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with! Best of luck!   

I think a lot of it too is showing that you can commit to keeping a dedicated studio practice when art is no longer the priority like it is in school. I would say that about 90% of the people I graduated with in 2018 have stopped seriously pursuing their career because of either a lack of direction or focus. Generally people who have been out of school for a few years can prove that they are dead set on becoming a serious practicing artist even while working full-time or multiple jobs. If you continue to build your portfolio after school then that shows the committee that you can motivate yourself without the deadlines and handholding that a class/critique setting provides. I know it is tough because this is the point where you are so ready to keep going (trust me, I feel like a bottle of shaken up soda that has been left on the counter since 2018), but if they are going to give you scholarship and funding, it is in their favor to know that you can be a practicing artist despite life getting in the way.

Edited by katfude

Anyone have any advice? I interviewed for three schools. My last interview was today and they told me they would contact me in one to two weeks, once they find out more about their available funding. Today also I got a call from another school I interviewed with last week saying they are offering me admittance but they want an answer by Monday...

What can I do? I want to hear back from the other two schools before making a choice, can I request more time?

21 minutes ago, AidaLizard said:

available funding. Today also I got a call from another school I interviewed with last week saying they are of

I wonder if this is the same school... I also received an offer from a program this morning and was asked to make a deposit by next week. I felt a bit anxious as I didn't expect to make a decision till end of March...

1 hour ago, AidaLizard said:

Anyone have any advice? I interviewed for three schools. My last interview was today and they told me they would contact me in one to two weeks, once they find out more about their available funding. Today also I got a call from another school I interviewed with last week saying they are offering me admittance but they want an answer by Monday...

What can I do? I want to hear back from the other two schools before making a choice, can I request more time?

Do you have a strong preference for any of the programs?

8 hours ago, WeWillAllPersevere said:

giphy.gif

I think that's common because most MFA programs are interested in mature and experienced candidates. So if you are aged 20-25ish then will examine why a MFA for sure...

4 hours ago, katfude said:

I think a lot of it too is showing that you can commit to keeping a dedicated studio practice when art is no longer the priority like it is in school. I would say that about 90% of the people I graduated with in 2018 have stopped seriously pursuing their career because of either a lack of direction or focus. Generally people who have been out of school for a few years can prove that they are dead set on becoming a serious practicing artist even while working full-time or multiple jobs. If you continue to build your portfolio after school then that shows the committee that you can motivate yourself without the deadlines and handholding that a class/critique setting provides. I know it is tough because this is the point where you are so ready to keep going (trust me, I feel like a bottle of shaken up soda that has been left on the counter since 2018), but if they are going to give you scholarship and funding, it is in their favor to know that you can be a practicing artist despite life getting in the way.

Indeed, the rate of failure is very very high for artists. Most folks who get a MFA never continue their art practice.

The school sees you as an investment of their resources to have you graduate from the program with a MFA degree. If you switch to working in another field not related to art then they see that as a failure. Considering the scarce nature of art related things they want to know that you will continue doing art regardless if you have to work another job or taking 1-2 jobs to make ends meet.

That's their viewpoint as I see it.

25 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Indeed, the rate of failure is very very high for artists. Most folks who get a MFA never continue their art practice.

The school sees you as an investment of their resources to have you graduate from the program with a MFA degree. If you switch to working in another field not related to art then they see that as a failure. Considering the scarce nature of art related things they want to know that you will continue doing art regardless if you have to work another job or taking 1-2 jobs to make ends meet.

That's their viewpoint as I see it.

This is a hot take, care to expand on this? I'd be especially interested to see data supporting your claim that folks who get an MFA never continue their art practice. it doesn't sound totally unlikely, but it does sound sad.

1 hour ago, sunnydelightt said:

I ended up doing it today! They were really nice just be ready to be able to defend and talk highly and thoroughly about your work ?

Thank you, I really appreciate this! I know they ask you to select one work to present to them, would you be able to share how much time they give you to talk about it? 

8 minutes ago, katkat said:

Thank you, I really appreciate this! I know they ask you to select one work to present to them, would you be able to share how much time they give you to talk about it? 

Almost 15 minutes! They also asked questions along the way but the interview was exactly 30 minutes including me asking them questions :)

Hey all, Just found a program I'm wishing I had found 3 months ago, and even though I've missed the priority deadline (jan15) they're still viewing applications on a rolling basis til July. Is it worth it to apply this cycle? or Wait til next year? I'm conflicted, I've already started the application for program this fall but I'm getting the feeling I should wait til next year.