Hi,

if anyone here is listing prerequisites taken at York University, what link did you put for the course description? They all seem to be temporary links that expire after some time, and just send you back to the search for courses page. One of the main issues is that many of the prerequisites I have taken are not currently offered/changed course code so they cannot be found in the current calendar.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by slp2020ab

On 12/28/2020 at 3:23 PM, slp2020ab said:

Hi,

if anyone here is listing prerequisites taken at York University, what link did you put for the course description? They all seem to be temporary links that expire after some time, and just send you back to the search for courses page. One of the main issues is that many of the prerequisites I have taken are not currently offered/changed course code so they cannot be found in the current calendar.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

It might be worth asking through SAM and maybe asking for permission to provide a past syllabus? If the prerequisite is listed as approved at the schools you are applying to, maybe providing a department course list website link and a copy of the syllabus is sufficient. I've never had any issue with this so take this with a grain of salt, but I definitely think the application office itself is the best place to find an answer. No sense leaving it to chance if it's a prerequisite!

image.png.c786605c8d593cd31c5068d77060fe23.png

Hi everyone! Does anyone know where to find out what each individual Department Check refers to? Nearly every single one I've clicked says "Statement"... 

And on that matter, very weird but my statement (PDF format) says 100% uploaded then is nowhere to be found in the checks (it should be showing up in the Department Check 2)

I'd appreciate your help if anyone knows! Thanks so much in advance. Happy early 2021!

On 12/28/2020 at 12:35 PM, NDspeechie said:

How do you upload GRE scores for U of A?

You just download the PDF form of your results from your ETS GRE account, and upload it as part of your application.

You will also have to formally send the results to the U of A as well. 

Is anybody having trouble with formatting on the ORPAS application in the prerequisite section? There are random spaces in the course description section that I did not put there! I tried retyping it out and re-inputting each course but neither of those are working.

Hi all, 

I hope the application process is going well for everyone. I had been considering OT in addition to SLP and have volunteer experience in both an SLP and OT clinic. I was wondering what admissions thinks of people who are/were considering both? For example, I was going to include my OT volunteering on my SLP resume because the skills and experiences are applicable to SLP, but I don't want admissions to think that I am not committed to SLP? I feel like I am overthinking, but just wanted to post on here to see if anyone had any insight. 

Thanks!

Hi everyone, for U of A, I was wondering if anyone could please tell me the order of documents for the Department Checks? None of them are indicating which Department Check # corresponds to which (e.g. if Department Check 3 is for the GRE score document, etc). All of mine are saying "Statement"

On 1/2/2021 at 1:45 PM, SpeechieAlly said:

Is anybody having trouble with formatting on the ORPAS application in the prerequisite section? There are random spaces in the course description section that I did not put there! I tried retyping it out and re-inputting each course but neither of those are working.

So I found a solution, albeit not a very good one. I had to input additional spaces in between words to kinda 'hop' over the empty space. It fixed the problem but it also counts as a character decreasing what's actually available to use in the description.

Hi Everyone

I am inputting all of the prereqs into ORPAS and have a few questions. 

1) From the paragraph below, it says to input each of the prereqs in the order stated and I have, although because I entered Child Devel. first, it is showing as the last listed on the page if that makes sense? Does this matter, and will it show that I did enter it in the right order or should I enter then backwards so Child. Devel shows first on the list? 

Using the ORPAS Prerequisite Form, applicants are required to submit a list of the courses taken to satisfy the prerequisites. Applicants should enter the courses in the order stated here (e.g., child development, elementary statistics, general linguistics, human physiology, phonetics and research methods). Further documentation beyond the ORPAS Prerequisite Form is not required if prerequisite courses are already listed as approved on the departmental website.

2) For providing the URL for full course descriptions, I have taken courses at Trent and Queen's -- I have not been able to find appropriate PDFs for Trent, I am only able to find the brief course description that looks like this https://www.trentu.ca/math/program/courses. Any fellow Trent students or what are other people doing if you are unable to find an official PDF/url description -- is providing the above sufficient? 

The countdown is on!! Wishing everyone good luck :) 

4 hours ago, SLP--2021 said:

Hi Everyone

I am inputting all of the prereqs into ORPAS and have a few questions. 

1) From the paragraph below, it says to input each of the prereqs in the order stated and I have, although because I entered Child Devel. first, it is showing as the last listed on the page if that makes sense? Does this matter, and will it show that I did enter it in the right order or should I enter then backwards so Child. Devel shows first on the list? 

Using the ORPAS Prerequisite Form, applicants are required to submit a list of the courses taken to satisfy the prerequisites. Applicants should enter the courses in the order stated here (e.g., child development, elementary statistics, general linguistics, human physiology, phonetics and research methods). Further documentation beyond the ORPAS Prerequisite Form is not required if prerequisite courses are already listed as approved on the departmental website.

2) For providing the URL for full course descriptions, I have taken courses at Trent and Queen's -- I have not been able to find appropriate PDFs for Trent, I am only able to find the brief course description that looks like this https://www.trentu.ca/math/program/courses. Any fellow Trent students or what are other people doing if you are unable to find an official PDF/url description -- is providing the above sufficient? 

The countdown is on!! Wishing everyone good luck :) 

Hello! For 1), I asked Adriana at UofT about it in December and she said to just follow whatever order ORPAS automatically orders them  

1 hour ago, SLP--2021 said:

brief course description that looks like this https://www.trentu.ca/math/program/courses. Any fellow Tre

6 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

So I found a solution, albeit not a very good one. I had to input additional spaces in between words to kinda 'hop' over the empty space. It fixed the problem but it also counts as a character decreasing what's actually available to use in the description.

this keeps happening to me - very confusing

Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the chat but I am a 3rd time applicant (got on the waitlist for Western the first 2 times) and am extremely nervous about this year. I got into the CDA program as my back up option last year and am currently doing that program. It's amazing and I love it but I know SLP is the ultimate goal for me, mostly because I want to work with adults and there is not much opportunity for that as a CDA. I am applying to SLP this year knowing that if I don't get in I am putting those dreams on hold for a bit to work as a CDA (so a lot of pressure ?). I definitely know my way around the ORPAS application website so if anyone has any questions about that or the CDA program i'd be happy to try and help! 

On 1/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, gradschoolpls said:

Hi everyone, can we submit our application on ORPAS and then still request our transcript AFTER we submit our app? Thanks. 

If you're requesting from an Ontario school then ORPAS puts in the request for you once you submit your application. There is that option where they will wait till after the final grades for the fall semester are received to request the transcript. I'm not entirely sure how it works for out of province schools. 

Hi everyone, 

for those applying to both UofT and Western, can you please advise on how you entered your work/volunteer experiences in the Volunteer Section on ORPAS? UofT explicitly said to ONLY include volunteer experiences while Western allows paid experiences as well. But ORPAS is streamlined (the volunteer section is the same for both schools). I’m not sure how to just include volunteer experiences for UofT but paid + volunteer experiences for Western. Please help an anxious applicant out! Thank you so much! 

14 hours ago, SLP-hopefully said:

Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the chat but I am a 3rd time applicant (got on the waitlist for Western the first 2 times) and am extremely nervous about this year. I got into the CDA program as my back up option last year and am currently doing that program. It's amazing and I love it but I know SLP is the ultimate goal for me, mostly because I want to work with adults and there is not much opportunity for that as a CDA. I am applying to SLP this year knowing that if I don't get in I am putting those dreams on hold for a bit to work as a CDA (so a lot of pressure ?). I definitely know my way around the ORPAS application website so if anyone has any questions about that or the CDA program i'd be happy to try and help! 

Hi! I am planning on doing the CDA program if I do not get into an SLP program this year and then reapplying for SLP the following year. I was wondering if you had the time, could you explain what you like about the CDA program, and if you know whether many people take the route from CDA to SLP?

Thank you and good luck with everything!

6 minutes ago, emSpeech said:

Hi! I am planning on doing the CDA program if I do not get into an SLP program this year and then reapplying for SLP the following year. I was wondering if you had the time, could you explain what you like about the CDA program, and if you know whether many people take the route from CDA to SLP?

Thank you and good luck with everything!

Yea for sure! The program is very focused on teaching hands-on intervention strategies and less theory which I am really enjoying (especially coming from a university program where we were only learning theory)! The content is also very focused on children intervention strategies because most CDAs end up working with children, there are very very limited opportunities for CDAs to work with adults. This year is a little different as its all online because the program is so hand-on so I feel like we are missing out on lot. But the instructors are amazing and super helpful (I go to SLC) and I am definitely learning a lot that would also help me as an SLP if I get in. 

I know quite a few of my classmates chose the CDA program as a back-up to SLP or a stepping stone to SLP. However I don't think many of them are planning on applying right away to the SLP program like I am. I have some friends in the SLP programs right now and they know only 1 or 2 people that got in right away after completing the CDA program. It definitely I think can be an advantage because you would start the SLP program with wayyy more knowledge about the field. However if you plan on doing the CDA program be ready to work as a CDA if you still don't get into SLP, its still an amazing career with lots of awesome opportunities. Also even in the CDA program if you plan on applying to SLP keep in contact with your uni professors as I know Western and UofT prefer uni professors over college instructors as references.