2021 Cycle

cec2021

2 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

Right but also you were not interviewed right? I was interviewed ? so that might make a difference...if it’s a glitch how can we find out??

My friend and I both got interviewed and have not heard from them... I guess maybe they may  have something to tell us later this week?

1 hour ago, iamlia said:

Oh then they're probable real :( I thought it was a good fit for me beuase of some professors, I also just got my Master's from NYU, although in a different field and department... which I thought might be positive, but then again maybe they don't like that.

I checked and it seemed other years they had released in March. Well I guess it's not over until we don't have the rejection... did your portal update at all?

Thanks for the kind words and best of luck to you as well!!!!

Thank you! Nothing my portal yet (NYU or anywhere else!). 

Hang in there! 

36 minutes ago, JimmyR said:

Congrats on the NYU offer, that's huge! Do you happen to know how many applicants they admitted to the cohort? 

I remembered that Paula England said the cohort be around 6 earlier on her Twitter.

Edited by 78iooi

2 hours ago, jetsetter said:

Are you talking about U Chicago? You may be under consideration for MAPSS. I am a recent grad from that program and the SS PhD programs tend to send some of their applicants to MAPSS.

Hello! What was your experience like at MAPSS?

1 minute ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

Hello! What was your experience like at MAPSS?

I'll forward you what I told a user in a dm. Feel free to message me for further details and specific questions. Happy to help. This is for everyone to see: 

I think my experience of the MAPSS program was overall positive. I think we have to approach those forums online regarding the program with a grain of salt. The reality is much more mixed. It is a good program if you know right off the bat that you'd apply to a PhD program soon after. Their numbers (90% PhD placement rate), while impressive, can be misleading. Those numbers only apply to students who they deem to be "competitive enough" to apply. Generally, you'd want to maintain a 3.8 GPA for top-15 programs. So it is from that pool of students they get their placement number. In my opinion, they do a pretty good job of advising you throughout the application process for the PhD. However, it can seem detached at times but I am not sure how much of that was due to COVID.

If you're even a bit unsure about doing a PhD, I am not sure the MAPSS program will be right for you. It is a grueling commitment (no program does a thesis-based masters with the expected completion time of 9 months). On top of that, financial aid is awarded but simply not sufficient to justify the high price tag. You DEFINITELY should not do MAPSS if you just intend to go straight back into the work force. The Chicago name is good, sure, but a degree in social sciences is gonna be a hard sell. 

Lastly, think of this program as a pick your own adventure game. It ultimately comes down to how you select courses, etc. My advice is, should you choose this route, is to go in fully focused with a goal. Use these classes as a way to bolster your capstone thesis. You only get 9 courses so choose them wisely.

I graduated undergrad with a business degree and the program was an awesome pivot to the social sciences. I have one fully funded offer so far and I don't think that would've been possible had I not done MAPSS.

24 minutes ago, jetsetter said:

I'll forward you what I told a user in a dm. Feel free to message me for further details and specific questions. Happy to help. This is for everyone to see: 

I think my experience of the MAPSS program was overall positive. I think we have to approach those forums online regarding the program with a grain of salt. The reality is much more mixed. It is a good program if you know right off the bat that you'd apply to a PhD program soon after. Their numbers (90% PhD placement rate), while impressive, can be misleading. Those numbers only apply to students who they deem to be "competitive enough" to apply. Generally, you'd want to maintain a 3.8 GPA for top-15 programs. So it is from that pool of students they get their placement number. In my opinion, they do a pretty good job of advising you throughout the application process for the PhD. However, it can seem detached at times but I am not sure how much of that was due to COVID.

If you're even a bit unsure about doing a PhD, I am not sure the MAPSS program will be right for you. It is a grueling commitment (no program does a thesis-based masters with the expected completion time of 9 months). On top of that, financial aid is awarded but simply not sufficient to justify the high price tag. You DEFINITELY should not do MAPSS if you just intend to go straight back into the work force. The Chicago name is good, sure, but a degree in social sciences is gonna be a hard sell. 

Lastly, think of this program as a pick your own adventure game. It ultimately comes down to how you select courses, etc. My advice is, should you choose this route, is to go in fully focused with a goal. Use these classes as a way to bolster your capstone thesis. You only get 9 courses so choose them wisely.

I graduated undergrad with a business degree and the program was an awesome pivot to the social sciences. I have one fully funded offer so far and I don't think that would've been possible had I not done MAPSS.

I haven’t had the chance to respond because my sister’s cat is missing and its difficult to find him because it’s freezing in Texas right now. I do have some other questions that I will send to you once I’m better situated. 

Thank you so much! 

Just now, Becca12 said:

I haven’t had the chance to respond because my sister’s cat is missing and its difficult to find him because it’s freezing in Texas right now. I do have some other questions that I will send to you once I’m better situated. 

Thank you so much! 

oh no! Hope you find that cat. Yes, by all means. Send me a list if you need to.

2 hours ago, nicolesaparty said:

okay I just wanna make sure; is the portal the same place we applied? I just go in and click on my submitted application. Is that right or is there another portal??

Thanks, I was just coming here to ask this, I've got a few email rejections so far but have never yet gleaned any decision information from an application page so I was starting to think I was missing something.

Also greetings all, been lurking this subforum for a few weeks now and appreciating the chat. I'm in UChicago limbo too, no interview but holding out a modicum of hope because I thought the fit was solid. So far I've got an unfunded offer at Rutgers, an interview/visit at Notre Dame, rejected from Stanford, and a few other presumptive rejections. I'm interested in culture, politics/media, and mixed interpretive/mathematical/computational methods. Hoping everyone gets some good news soon!

Hey all. I saw someone ask a few pages back about UCI but no one responded so just to give an answer: at the faculty meeting a week or two ago, they said that they had extended 34 offers with the goal of getting a cohort of 11. They also said that there were serious cuts to recruitment funding, especially diversity-focused recruitment funding. (Everyone should still get the baseline funding package, though, thanks to our grad union — grad unions are awesome; this is specifically about one-time stipend top-ups.)

If you've been admitted, congrats and feel free to reach out if you have questions! If you haven't heard, know that UCI has a history of ghosting people for a while rather than formally waitlisting, so hang in there for a little bit longer. ?

10 minutes ago, gforgreat said:

For UCI and UCSC, and many other schools that conduct interviews, I know that being interviewed does not guarantee acceptance, but does NOT being interviewed mean you have zero chance of getting in? 

I think UCI admits most of those they interview. (It's not a hard rule that I've heard of, and I'm sure there have been exceptions over the years, but the interview is really informal, and they don't have the staffing capacity to interview tons of people they aren't genuinely interested in.) In terms of whether or not interviews are required, all the extra recruitment funding at UCI requires that an interview be part of the admissions process, so I think they interview everyone; they really try to get everyone extra funding in normal years. Again, perhaps there have been random exceptions, but even someone in my cohort who got in super late had a phone call with the grad director before admission. (This person heard nothing until March, to my knowledge.)

Edited by lkaitlyn

On 2/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, salamander27 said:

Hey guys, I know it's a thread on sociology decisions so this may be a long shot, but has anyone (with a particular interest/focus on STS) applied to U Chicago's CHSS? It's a smaller interdisciplinary program, and I'm trying to gauge where their admissions process is at. 

Hi there: No idea about all offers, but I can report that, yesterday, I received a rejection from CHSS in my portal.

Then, today, I received an email from the dean of students that this rejection was an error, and that, in fact, I had been wait listed. There was no concrete information about when I would receive an update. Just "in the coming weeks."

I don't trust my luck: I was the alternate for Fulbright 2020-2021, which was cancelled altogether. Best to you this cycle.