Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

I would call up or email Angela Umbrello (admin coordinator for admissions) and ask.  Her number is (416) 978-3257 and her email address is angela.umbrello@utoronto.ca  If you call, you might even be able to sneak in a question about waitlist status and find out if it has been moving :)

I agree with MSW13. Great suggestion. And sneaking in the question can't hurt either! Although I have a feeling they are waiting until the 9th (or whenever answers are due) before offering admissions to the waitlist.

I would call up or email Angela Umbrello (admin coordinator for admissions) and ask.  Her number is (416) 978-3257 and her email address is angela.umbrello@utoronto.ca  If you call, you might even be able to sneak in a question about waitlist status and find out if it has been moving :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm jam packed today and heading out for vacation tomorrow so I just sent an email so I don't sound incredibly overwhelmed hahaha. Hopefully I get a response by the time I leave. 

No idea. It probably wouldn't hurt to call and ask. I just got tired of waiting. I gave it a lot of thought and I will be going to Laurier even if I'm accepted to Windsor.

I decided to call - For all those still waiting like me I was told that the first acceptances have two weeks to respond (and were sent last week I believe). After that time the next round goes out, then the next, and the next, until the program (30 spots) is filled. So essentially if you haven't heard yes or no at this point it's like being on an unofficial wait list. She said it could take up to a few months until they are filled.

Good luck at Laurier !

So many rounds of offers. That's a bit surprising. I would expect 2 or maybe 3 at most. I guess Windsor doesn't rank high for many of the applicants. All the better for the other people who applied then. With any luck, second round offers will be out by the end of this week. :)

I decided to call - For all those still waiting like me I was told that the first acceptances have two weeks to respond (and were sent last week I believe). After that time the next round goes out, then the next, and the next, until the program (30 spots) is filled. So essentially if you haven't heard yes or no at this point it's like being on an unofficial wait list. She said it could take up to a few months until they are filled.

Good luck at Laurier !

Edited by jenste

U of c anyone?

I talked to the Graduate Studies advisor yesterday by phone, and she said that all of the acceptances have been completed and they are working on rejections and waitlisted people now.  So, if you haven't heard back yet (like me), it isn't good news :(

Looks like it's going to be Dalhousie for me, unless a miracle happens and UVic moves through their waitlist........

Dalhousie is a good school, michmenhennet. Congrats on getting accepted! I guess Victoria and Calgary rank higher on your list, but it's still great that you got in somewhere.  

I talked to the Graduate Studies advisor yesterday by phone, and she said that all of the acceptances have been completed and they are working on rejections and waitlisted people now.  So, if you haven't heard back yet (like me), it isn't good news :(

Looks like it's going to be Dalhousie for me, unless a miracle happens and UVic moves through their waitlist........

Edited by jenste

Dalhousie is a good school, michmenhennet. Congrats on getting accepted! I guess Victoria and Calgary rank higher on your list, but it's still great that you got in somewhere.  

It is a good school, and you're not really hearing me complain.  I had just really liked the UVic and UCal programs in particular.  But at the end of the day you are right:  I am in at Dalhousie, and determined to make the most of it.  And if I decide to travel to Halifax for convocation, my sister and her family can be in the audience cheering me on :)

Congrats to all who got in, and to those who didn't, keep trying.  :wub:

Well, I called U of C today to talk to someone, left a v.mail and she called me back to say that I am welcome to come in to review why I was unsuccessful. So, there's my answer - I hadn't even asked in the message! 

Congrats to all who were successful! It's tough and I'm sure you all work very hard in your day to day life so you all deserve it!

Plan B = BSW (ugh)

Plan C = MA in Public Administration

Plan D = move out of the f'ing country...

Sorry to hear that...it has been agonizing for you!  The good news is that you have a few solid options.  I strongly suggest that you do go in and review why it didn't happen this year.  It will help you decide what plan B is best for you to pursue.  It would be a waste to do an entire BSW degree if all you really need is to beef up your gpa or get a little more targeted experience.  Best of luck! 

Well, I called U of C today to talk to someone, left a v.mail and she called me back to say that I am welcome to come in to review why I was unsuccessful. So, there's my answer - I hadn't even asked in the message! 

Congrats to all who were successful! It's tough and I'm sure you all work very hard in your day to day life so you all deserve it!

Plan B = BSW (ugh)

Has anyone who has been wait-listed at U of T or Laurier been contacted?  Starting to feel a little anxious. Based on last year’s posts, it appears that wait-listed applications began receiving their acceptances this week.

Edited by Erin123

Has anyone who has been wait-listed at U of T or Laurier been contacted?  Starting to feel a little anxious. Based on last year’s posts, it appears that wait-listed applications began receiving their acceptances this week.
Haven't heard about anyone finding out yet. But yes last year it was this week. Fingers crossed

Haven't heard about anyone finding out yet. But yes last year it was this week. Fingers crossed

I'm so stressed about it. I can't stop thinking about it. Definitely starting to affect my concentration, Ugh hopefully they let us know soon. 

Even though wait-listed applicants began to hear back around this time last year, weren't acceptances for 2-year applicants sent out earlier last year?

Even though wait-listed applicants began to hear back around this time last year, weren't acceptances for 2-year applicants sent out earlier last year?

Good Point. I'm not sure. Do you know when acceptances were sent out last year?

Good Point. I'm not sure. Do you know when acceptances were sent out last year?

I reviewed last year's threads and it looks like people began receiving waitlist notices around April 4th. 

I looked into it and it appears that acceptances were mailed out on April 4th - with is over a week earlier than this years acceptances mail-out. Hopefully by the end of next week, or within the first couple days of the first week of May, people will begin to hear something.

Thanks for your advice. 

Kind Regards,

Erin

To anyone on Windsors wait list...

I spoke to the secretary today and she said roughly 200 applicants have been wait listed and there is no way they will exhaust the entire list. She said that last year, approximately half of their wait was contacted and the last offers and rejections were distributed at the end of june/first week of July.

How it works is that all 200 of the wait listed applicants have been ranked from 1 - 200 and with every declined offer they receive, they contact the next person on the wait list. There is no "re-assessment" or anything like that, nor is it random. 

You can continue to look at your uwindsor application status online, which may be updated quicker than snail mail. Offers were given out about 1.5 weeks ago and they have 2 weeks to respond so I would check your status in biweekly intervals. 

Hope this provides some clarity to anyone who is still waiting.

OMG! That's a huge waitlist.

For anyone keen an attending this school, based on s1990's information, it looks like half of the people who applied will get an offer of admission. That's great. You can't get any better odds than this at any other MSW program in Canada! But they sure extend the process. June is such a long time to wait.

Best of luck to all who are waiting on U of Windsor.    

I spoke to the secretary today and she said roughly 200 applicants have been wait listed and there is no way they will exhaust the entire list. She said that last year, approximately half of their wait was contacted and the last offers and rejections were distributed at the end of june/first week of July.

How it works is that all 200 of the wait listed applicants have been ranked from 1 - 200 and with every declined offer they receive, they contact the next person on the wait list. There is no "re-assessment" or anything like that, nor is it random. 

You can continue to look at your uwindsor application status online, which may be updated quicker than snail mail. Offers were given out about 1.5 weeks ago and they have 2 weeks to respond so I would check your status in biweekly intervals. 

Edited by jenste

Plan B = BSW (ugh)

This makes me really sad :( Did she say anything about the waitlist? Has your status changed on your student center?

That's very helpful to know. Thanks for posting about this! That is a huge wait list though... Does anyone know whether Windsor is willing to let us know where we rank on the wait list so that we can get an idea of our chances of receiving an offer of admission?

That's very helpful to know. Thanks for posting about this! That is a huge wait list though... Does anyone know whether Windsor is willing to let us know where we rank on the wait list so that we can get an idea of our chances of receiving an offer of admission?

Hahaha, while I was speaking to her, I wanted to ask that, but before I could she said "obviously I can't tell you where you're at on the list." I don't see why not/how that's obvious... but whatever.

Hahaha, while I was speaking to her, I wanted to ask that, but before I could she said "obviously I can't tell you where you're at on the list." I don't see why not/how that's obvious... but whatever.

lol, well that's disappointing. It would save us so much stress if we knew what our chance was! 

Hi all! I applied for BSW, child and youth care and psych at Ryerson in December and I still haven't heard back or see any updates on my Ryerson portal. Does anyone know if this is bad news? I'm so worried, I can't even sleep. I'm constantly checking my Ryerson account and e-mail :(. I also wanted to ask if anyone else here has applied for the same programs and has heard back. Help me out pls!

Edited by Bellelleb