Finding a husband in graduate school.

LittleDarlings

Well.. "people" and "everyone" is beyond "person" if you want to get serious with the silly maxims.. in the name of social science.

Yes, but clearly the "silly maxims" are beyond my point. You seemed to have grasped "lol I troll u" 101's core concepts via every other forum on the internet, so I don't think I have to elaborate beyond "be nice-or-at-least-neutral to people and don't judge so much" for you to understand what I mean.

tumblr_m5go4dbmXV1rxc156o1_250.gif

Yes, but clearly the "silly maxims" are beyond my point. You seemed to have grasped "lol I troll u" 101's core concepts via every other forum on the internet, so I don't think I have to elaborate beyond "be nice-or-at-least-neutral to people and don't judge so much" for you to understand what I mean.

tumblr_m5go4dbmXV1rxc156o1_250.gif

Hippie.

Typically people agree that these are different types of relationships: 

1) friends

2) friends with benefits

3) random hookups (meet someone in a bar, etc)

4) casual dating (usually means more than the above by including going on actual dates, being interested in each other for more than sex, but not interested in something long-term/serious)

5) in a relationship (there are stages to this that include dating, but ultimately people are committed and exclusive and expect it to go somewhere). 

I don't see why this is so complicated to agree upon. 

Hippie.

Asshole.

I see we are continuing to develop nuanced and enlightening arguments on this thread. There are people on the forums that seem like they aim to make others feel bad, but don't think that's been the case here (granted I skipped about 15 pages in the middle). Equal-opportunity trolling is hard for me to get worked up about, and provides the occasional laugh.

EDIT: nevermind, I just read the previous page and I want no part of this flame-war.

Edited by Usmivka

Typically people agree that these are different types of relationships: 

1) friends

2) friends with benefits

3) random hookups (meet someone in a bar, etc)

4) casual dating (usually means more than the above by including going on actual dates, being interested in each other for more than sex, but not interested in something long-term/serious)

5) in a relationship (there are stages to this that include dating, but ultimately people are committed and exclusive and expect it to go somewhere). 

I don't see why this is so complicated to agree upon. 

You're definition of casual dating is the same as a friend with benefits (with an unnecessary financial burden). To me, the only difference between a friend with benefits and a significant other is sacrifice. The thought of me losing my significant other hurts more than the thought of me sacrificing some of my goals.

I wanted to upvote this, but I'd reached my quota already.. :P

Noooooo!!!!! I demand you come back tomorrow and upvote my post! Silliness aside, you've reduced my disappointment that there wasn't much move for The Matrix around here :D

On the other hand, this thread has taken an unexpected turn. For better or worse I can't tell.

Dating is so complicated, you always have to worry about "will they call?" "do I text them first? If I text first will I come off as annoying?" I can't go on dates and not jump immediately to our beautiful wedding pictures and what our kids will look like. I have done it with every single relationship and date I have been on.  My best friend just got out of a 3 year relationship and right now she is looking to "casually date" I had no idea what that was until she explained it.  I don't "casually date" to me the point of dating is to find someone you love and marry them and have babies as quickly as possible.  My ex and I (I reference him a lot sorry) we casually dated at first I guess but as soon as things turned sexual I needed a title, I never want to be sleeping with someone and not mean something to them. I have in the past but I personally don't do well with hookups, I don't know how to not be emotionally attached and then afterward I feel like crap about myself.  It just isn't for me.  

In the end for me I would rather it happen now so it is one less thing I have to stress about.  I think it is cool that people are so happy and content being single, for me it just makes me feel less than people in relationships.  It is like they have something I don't and despite how hard I try to get into a relationship and adjust myself into a person that a guy would love and want to spend their life with I still can't get it, it is never good enough.  I can't explain it but to me single people are less than people in relationships (I can only speak for myself being less than people in relationships). I worry about finding someone pretty much everyday, because I don't meet a lot of people in my day to day life, I am 23 most people my age are in serious relationships or getting engaged (this summer there are literally at least 6 weddings of people I graduated with) or pregnant and then married.  That is just important to me, I can't see being fully happy if I am not married with kids.  My career is important too but ever since I was like 18 I knew school would always be available but having babies wouldn't.  I have my own personal issues that make it much harder to find someone in my opinion though.  Anyways I am for sure going to grad school in the Fall and that means living on my own and stuff and so hopefully that helps me to mature as a person, and I hope I learn more about myself.  I couldn't tell you one thing that I enjoy doing that I didn't get from a person I dated :/ it is pretty sad I guess. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Dating is so complicated, you always have to worry about "will they call?" "do I text them first? If I text first will I come off as annoying?" I can't go on dates and not jump immediately to our beautiful wedding pictures and what our kids will look like. I have done it with every single relationship and date I have been on.  My best friend just got out of a 3 year relationship and right now she is looking to "casually date" I had no idea what that was until she explained it.  I don't "casually date" to me the point of dating is to find someone you love and marry them and have babies as quickly as possible.  My ex and I (I reference him a lot sorry) we casually dated at first I guess but as soon as things turned sexual I needed a title, I never want to be sleeping with someone and not mean something to them. I have in the past but I personally don't do well with hookups, I don't know how to not be emotionally attached and then afterward I feel like crap about myself.  It just isn't for me.  

In the end for me I would rather it happen now so it is one less thing I have to stress about.  I think it is cool that people are so happy and content being single, for me it just makes me feel less than people in relationships.  It is like they have something I don't and despite how hard I try to get into a relationship and adjust myself into a person that a guy would love and want to spend their life with I still can't get it, it is never good enough.  I can't explain it but to me single people are less than people in relationships (I can only speak for myself being less than people in relationships). I worry about finding someone pretty much everyday, because I don't meet a lot of people in my day to day life, I am 23 most people my age are in serious relationships or getting engaged (this summer there are literally at least 6 weddings of people I graduated with) or pregnant and then married.  That is just important to me, I can't see being fully happy if I am not married with kids.  My career is important too but ever since I was like 18 I knew school would always be available but having babies wouldn't.  I have my own personal issues that make it much harder to find someone in my opinion though.  Anyways I am for sure going to grad school in the Fall and that means living on my own and stuff and so hopefully that helps me to mature as a person, and I hope I learn more about myself.  I couldn't tell you one thing that I enjoy doing that I didn't get from a person I dated :/ it is pretty sad I guess. 

And this thread has officially went full circle. 

I am 23 most people my age are in serious relationships or getting engaged (this summer there are literally at least 6 weddings of people I graduated with) or pregnant and then married

lolwut. We are very different 23 year olds, and definitely have different social circles...

lolwut. We are very different 23 year olds, and definitely have different social circles...

Really? Did you grow up in a big city? I'm from a fairly small area. I remember my friend saying that if she wasn't married with kids by 30 she would go to a sperm bank because in my town if you're 30 and unmarried and you don't have kids you are doing nothing with yourself. Not going to lie I don't think a lot of my friends marriages will work out but hey I wish them the best.

To keep the discussion running, I have a very serious question to ask.

Is it ethical to date a professor to get a full-ride? (I'm not talking about a scholarship either...)

Is it ethical to date a professor to get a full-ride? (I'm not talking about a scholarship either...)

Ohhh I love it!! Ethical? No I don't think it is but I mean if you genuinely care about him then you should date him? If it's just for money I personally wouldn't but hey if you really need the money then maybe you will. I personally wouldn't go there though :/. I hate feeling like I owe someone something and wouldn't you kind of feel indebted to him? I would rather not feel like I was with someone solely for what they can do for me, just seems wrong

Anyways I think this post should be like a relationship finding/hookup advice thread:) I love it!

Edited by CorruptedInnocence

I have a friend who "dates" a professor from our undergrad. He pays for her dance studio space where she is a choreographer and instructor. He essentially gave her the cash for her business. I wouldn't mention it normally, people do meet in college, but this relationship is pretty blatantly lopsided and a special agreement. I don't think they'd even disagree. He has royalties and tenure and can do whatever he wants whenever he wants and she gets to be a dancer professionally.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I have a friend who "dates" a professor from our undergrad. He pays for her dance studio space where she is a choreographer and instructor. He essentially gave her the cash for her business. I wouldn't mention it normally, people do meet in college, but this relationship is pretty blatantly lopsided and a special agreement. I don't think they'd even disagree. He has royalties and tenure and can do whatever he wants whenever he wants and she gets to be a dancer professionally.

A lot of hot chicks get free rides in life. The perks of having perks.