2014 SLP Admissions Thread

Way to go twinguy7!!!

maybe you'll have more than one acceptance by the end of the week :)

Enjoy your acceptance. YOU deserve to gloat!!

Congrats twinguy7!!! You've been such a positive and encouraging presence on this forum, and I'm so happy that you've finally been blessed with such AWESOME news! :D

I knew that the GradCafe SLPers would go crazy when one of our group favs, TwinGuy, got the acceptance we all knew was coming :) CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Congratulations to all who received acceptances today!!! The world of SLPs just got better :)

Yayyy!!! Congrats twinguy7!!!!!! Woohoo!!! :):) :)

Congrats twinguy7!! You honestly deserve this!! Thank you for being supportive throughout the whole process.  I know you will be an amazing SLP one day!!  :D

Congrats, twinguy7! Welcome to the midwest!

Congrats twinguy7 & daisynic.

CONGRATULATIONS TWINGUY7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know how hard you worked for that and I am SO happy to hear that you're accepted! You're going to go on and be an amazing SLP and I am so excited for you to be able to go out and live your dream. :D

And, yes, you've always been accepted here. I find myself hoping that my graduate program cohort will be this warm and accepting, because wow, those of you here at gradcafe set the bar high. Wish we could all go to the same program! :)

@daisynic and @twinguy7 CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the hard work, stress, and anxiety over the last few months are now finally paid off!!!!!!!! 

I think we need a new forum when school starts to keep up the support level and create a healthy environment to discuss challenges and share therapy/material ideas!!

I am so looking forward to this new journey!!! Congrats to everyone!!!!  

Again, Thanks everyone!  Lets keep up the good vibes and spirit fingers for those still waiting for some good news!  We all work hard and are all deserving of the opportunity to further our knowledge and skills!  

Thank you everyone!!!

Again, Thanks everyone!  Lets keep up the good vibes and spirit fingers for those still waiting for some good news!  We all work hard and are all deserving of the opportunity to further our knowledge and skills!  

Quoting twinguy because I couldn't say it any better than this! Sending my positive energy in everyone's direction! :)

My first acceptance!!! Grand Valley State University!!! Biiiiiiiiig sigh of relief! :)

Congrats! I think it's obvious that everyone here was really rooting for you! :) You deserve it! I'm lurking this year and applying next year, but every time I check the forum (which I'll admit, is basically every day), I always moseyed on over here to see when you'd get your first acceptance. Congratulations! 

My first acceptance!!! Grand Valley State University!!! Biiiiiiiiig sigh of relief! :)

Dude CONGRATS!! Ever since I read your inspiring and ambitious posts, I was like "these schools gotta be nuts if they don't accept this guy!!".. you wanted it and you got it, you're truly an inspiration and will make an excellent SLP. Wish you the best of luck!

I got my first acceptance today to my dream school!!!!! So excited and I am so thankful for everyone on this forum who have been so positive and inspirational. This is my second year applying! 

YAY!! So glad to hear you got an acceptance daisynic, as a first time applicant, I look forward to hearing good news like yours. I hope you celebrate and enjoy this moment, you are also an inspiration!! Best of Luck!! :)

Has anyone been accepted to Texas State and declining their acceptance? I was just waitlisted and this is my dream school!!! Anxiety just went to a new level. Congratulations to everyone especially all of you second and third time applicants you guys made it happen!

So I received an email Monday night and was told I was on the waitlist. I replied and said to withdraw my application b/c I've already accepted a position. Received an email back saying thank you for letting them know. Well then Tuesday night I get another email that I've been accepted. I'll be emailing them and declining (again lol).

I'll be honest when I got it, my heart sunk a little b/c I know how beautiful San Marcos is. It makes me a little jealous that I'm staying at my current university instead of experiencing something new. Hope this helps! :)

I just saw on my portal that I was waitlisted at SUNY New Paltz. Meh. I'm hoping I get in off of the waitlist. If I don't get in to UNH I would love to end up there!

I just saw on my portal that I was waitlisted at SUNY New Paltz. Meh. I'm hoping I get in off of the waitlist. If I don't get in to UNH I would love to end up there!

Best of luck to you! I hope you get off the wait list at SUNY New Paltz AND accepted to UNH!

Did anyone else feel really good about their decision to attend a school but still feel really nervous about sending in their deposit? So scary!

Did anyone else feel really good about their decision to attend a school but still feel really nervous about sending in their deposit? So scary!

Oh, it happens all the time.  I'm in my 2nd semester and still occasionally find myself thinking, "Did I make the right choice?  Did I choose the best school for me?  Should I have applied to more?"  Ultimately, no matter where you go, you will learn the skills you need to know. 

It sounds cliche, but you really do get out of grad school what you put into it. Some of my classmates have their 2- year plan and are following it to a T. Others are talking to professors and advisors to get experiences (clinical and/or research) in areas of interest that weren't on their original course plan. Both ways will get you a degree, but one has a more personalized grad school experience than the other.  It's up to you to advocate for yourself.

WOW!  I am sooo humbled to be accepted into a grad program, but I am humbled even more to realize that I was accepted months ago by all of you, my loving SLP family!  Thanks for the outcry of support and love!  We all need it and hope it continues for everyone in the SLP family!  Love you guys(I guess mostly gals, :) )!  

PS- I tried "multi quoting" all of you in this post but it did not allow me to!  Thanks to every individual one of you! :)

Congrats to you!  I see you as an active and supportive member on here and I was rooting for you as well! 

What great news!!!

Oh, it happens all the time.  I'm in my 2nd semester and still occasionally find myself thinking, "Did I make the right choice?  Did I choose the best school for me?  Should I have applied to more?"  Ultimately, no matter where you go, you will learn the skills you need to know. 

It sounds cliche, but you really do get out of grad school what you put into it. Some of my classmates have their 2- year plan and are following it to a T. Others are talking to professors and advisors to get experiences (clinical and/or research) in areas of interest that weren't on their original course plan. Both ways will get you a degree, but one has a more personalized grad school experience than the other.  It's up to you to advocate for yourself.

I feel much better knowing it's not just me and that other people struggle with the decision. Thank you very much for your advice! I definitely plan to advocate for myself.

I'm loving the green color! Congrats :)

Congrats! I've heard great things about their program! :)

Congrats!

Congrats!!

Thank you all!  :)

Got my acceptance emails from Montclair State AND New Paltz today!!

That should make us all happy, because I probably won't be attending either one - two more spots for someone else!

Wow! Congratulations on ALL of your many acceptances this week! Great accomplishment!!

WOW!  I am sooo humbled to be accepted into a grad program, but I am humbled even more to realize that I was accepted months ago by all of you, my loving SLP family!  Thanks for the outcry of support and love!  We all need it and hope it continues for everyone in the SLP family!  Love you guys(I guess mostly gals, :) )!  

PS- I tried "multi quoting" all of you in this post but it did not allow me to!  Thanks to every individual one of you! :)

CONGRATULATIONS TWINGUY7!!!!!! I may have cried a little bit when I read that you were accepted! You deserve it and will do great things!!!

I've accepted, turned down all other offers, and paid my deposit, and I am STILL nervous.

Big decision jitters.

Has anyone heard anything about Southern Connecticut State University's speech program? I'm trying to make a decision but it's hard when I haven't heard from half the programs I applied to!

I've accepted, turned down all other offers, and paid my deposit, and I am STILL nervous.

Big decision jitters.

At least it's not just me!

I keep having this weird nightmare that they email me tomorrow and are like "Oh yeah you know how we accepted you? JK nevermind!!!" 

I know that won't happen. I'm just going insane.

I've been stalking this board for a while and congrats to everyone who's been accepted, especially twinguy7!! You will do great things!

Has anyone heard anything about Southern Connecticut State University's speech program? I'm trying to make a decision but it's hard when I haven't heard from half the programs I applied to!

As for SCSU, I was an undergrad there and I really loved my courses and professors.  The program is really great, really like a big family with connections being made between the professors/clinicians and the students (both grad and undergrad), as well as between graduate and undergraduate students. The program has really gotten a lot more interest lately and it's become really popular in the past few years.  It's also really well known through out the area, so you can network really easily as well. Depending on what your interests are, there are several professors who are still practicing - Dr. Mabry works in pediatrics at Connecticut Children's Medical Center, specializing in craniofacial anomolies; Dr. Preston works with and does research for children with autism spectrum disorders; and Dr. Purdy works with the aphasic population.  Our department has great connections with research facilities like the Haskins Laboratory at Yale University as well.  

Overall all, I would say that it's a really awesome program. Good luck in your decision making!! :)

I've been stalking this board for a while and congrats to everyone who's been accepted, especially twinguy7!! You will do great things!

As for SCSU, I was an undergrad there and I really loved my courses and professors.  The program is really great, really like a big family with connections being made between the professors/clinicians and the students (both grad and undergrad), as well as between graduate and undergraduate students. The program has really gotten a lot more interest lately and it's become really popular in the past few years.  It's also really well known through out the area, so you can network really easily as well. Depending on what your interests are, there are several professors who are still practicing - Dr. Mabry works in pediatrics at Connecticut Children's Medical Center, specializing in craniofacial anomolies; Dr. Preston works with and does research for children with autism spectrum disorders; and Dr. Purdy works with the aphasic population.  Our department has great connections with research facilities like the Haskins Laboratory at Yale University as well.  

Overall all, I would say that it's a really awesome program. Good luck in your decision making!! :)

Thanks for the info on Southern CT! I'm really thinking about going there if I don't get accepted to Brooklyn College. I'm just concerned about licensing and how that would work. Does anyone know if it would be able to go to grad school in CT and then go to NY and do my CFY year/work? I'm confused on how all of it works but I understand that NY is strict when it comes to that. 

My husband declined FHSU today, and accepted at UCA. We're still waiting to hear back from SJSU, but the odds there aren't good and we both felt that accepting at UCA is the better move here for a variety of reasons (finances being at the forefront).

So surreal. After last year, neither of us imagined that he would be the one rejecting a school. He's definitely nervous about turning down a school before he has a hundred reassurances that UCA won't turn him down at the last minute, but I relayed some of the similar nerves here and I think it helped knowing that others in similar situations are having the same anxious thoughts. :)

Accepted this afternoon at Idaho State University's Distance Program! Probably won't go b/c of the cost but still so happy to get the news!

Accepted: Eastern New Mexico University, University of South Carolina, Idaho State University, University of Northern Colorado

Rejected: San Francisco State University, Eastern Carolina University:

Applied: San Jose State University, California State University East Bay

Accepted this afternoon at Idaho State University's Distance Program! Probably won't go b/c of the cost but still so happy to get the news!

Accepted: Eastern New Mexico University, University of South Carolina, Idaho State University, University of Northern Colorado

Rejected: San Francisco State University, Eastern Carolina University:

Applied: San Jose State University, California State University East Bay

Do you mind if I ask your stats? I got waitlisted at UNC and I'm dying to know if it's because of my stats or what? My GPA isn't the highest but it's not that low either.