MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

1 hour ago, Alment said:

hey congrats on your interview at RISD!!!!  when did you hear? was it by email?

Also I feel like I saw someone had an interview for CalArts focused in painting, does anyone know how/ when then notified and if they're done notifying? 

Hey, thanks! I received an email on Tuesday to schedule a Skype interview this week. Very short notice.  

20 minutes ago, Canine said:

RISD sculpture, CMU art, Columbia new genre. Calarts 

I got 4 invitations for interview

Could you tell me Which program is better?

I'm an international applicant from Asia, and don't have many information about the schools.

Because I am not confident in ability to speak English, I should focus one

First, let me say, congrats on your interviews!

To answer your question, no one can tell you which program is better and it's a little scary that you would want someone to...don't rely on anyone else's opinion!

All programs are different and whether or not one is the best really depends on what you want, how you work, where you see yourself going with your work. 

Do all the interviews, just do a general prep that should cover the most important questions they will ask. My suggestion is to start practicing talking about your work in English (should be easy since you have your artist statement written already), go through the interview questions posted in the interview thread here, write out your answers, rehearse orally. You'll be fine. I use to live abroad in a non English speaking country so I know how stressful things like this are. 

Hope this was helpful and good luck!

On 2/15/2016 at 9:08 AM, emf325 said:

Hi, first time poster here. I just wanted to post this document I got today, since I wasn't aware of the specifics and maybe others weren't as well. I've been accepted to Syracuse for ceramics, and they've given me a deadline for a week from today to let them know. However, I emailed some schools I haven't heard from yet, just to get a feel if I'd been accepted or rejected, and University of Colorado sent me back this document.

http://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGSResolution_Oct2015.pdf

Also I haven't gotten the offer from Syracuse in writing just yet, only a phone call this past Friday. Would it be safe to reference this document if the offer in writing comes back with the deadline of Monday? I knew about the April 15th deadline overall, but wasn't aware that schools apparently couldn't set earlier deadlines sighting 'funding offers' that would not stay on the table? Anyone have any input on this? (I'm pretty stressed..)

PS: has anyone else heard from Ohio State, University of Colorado, or University of Nebraska for ceramics?

Have your heard for University of Nebraska? What does your application status on your MyRed say?

Anyone else apply to University of Nebraska-Lincoln for ceramics and recieved a response, or checked application status?

Edited by Gbamics

hey y'all,

about UIUC, they sent an admission offer to me this week. i got the phone call a while ago about how they had short funding, i have no idea how many they're taking though. nominated for a grad fellowship but if that doesn't come through then they are still offering a stipend etc.

about OSU, haven't heard from them since an interview like seven weeks ago, i heard they extended their deadline by a month so i reckon they might still be making decisions.

1 hour ago, dirrrtbag said:

hey y'all,

about UIUC, they sent an admission offer to me this week. i got the phone call a while ago about how they had short funding, i have no idea how many they're taking though. nominated for a grad fellowship but if that doesn't come through then they are still offering a stipend etc.

about OSU, haven't heard from them since an interview like seven weeks ago, i heard they extended their deadline by a month so i reckon they might still be making decisions.

Congratulations! Thanks for the heads up and good luck.

Edited by Relm

5 hours ago, xanderesse said:

I've now received word from every school but Hunter and Columbia Sculpture. It's going to be a busy two weeks. A good busy! 

Congratulations on your Interviews and best of luck!!

when did you hear from SAIC? was it through email?

8 minutes ago, giovanniiq said:

Congratulations on your Interviews and best of luck!!

when did you hear from SAIC? was it through email?

It was actually a phone call, followed by an email, and then snail mail a few days later. They called on February 3rd. 

9 hours ago, xanderesse said:

Hey, thanks! I received an email on Tuesday to schedule a Skype interview this week. Very short notice.  

Wow...congrats on your interview in RISD.....what did they ask you in the interview? I am up for MICA's interview today...any tips? :lol:

48 minutes ago, M14 said:

Can anyone give me any tips for MICA's interview? I am really nervous and i don't know what they ask...any ideas...anything is welcomed!

Hi M14,

I can't speak for the interview experience at MICA specifically, but there's a list of potential interview questions that has been floating around and I added it to the 2016 Interview thread on this forum. It might help to review some of those :). Some people added tips and wardrobe advice as well. Hope this helps!

25 minutes ago, LAPHYSICS said:

Accepted to CGU this morning via email! I also heard that Cornell is making their interview list today, so good luck to everyone who applied!!!

Congratulations! I also got the CGU acceptance email this morning--quite a surprise as I assumed they would do some sort of interview before making their selections!

Edited by dryheat

Inbox empty!!! Still nothing yet!!! Gawd it's been friggin 5 weeks since due date and it feels like eternity. And not eternity like the Calvin Klein cologne but like eternity stuck on the Judas Cradle, skinned and left roasting in a convection oven.

hey thanks Relm.

i got this from the U Iowa this morning:

"It has been recently decided that we will not be accepting any incoming graduate student to the Intermedia discipline this year.  If you are still interested in our program perhaps you would like to apply next year."

bad news for anyone else in intermedia, good news for others?

7 minutes ago, dirrrtbag said:

hey thanks Relm.

"It has been recently decided that we will not be accepting any incoming graduate student to the Intermedia discipline this year.  If you are still interested in our program perhaps you would like to apply next year."

wait, so you paid the admissions fee and theyre telling you sorry were not accepting anyone?  Are they returning your fee?

2 minutes ago, BlCEO said:

wait, so you paid the admissions fee and theyre telling you sorry were not accepting anyone?  Are they returning your fee?

hahah that is a really good point.. luckily i had a fee waiver with them but i doubt i'll be getting my doll hairs back from Slideroom.

hey thanks Relm.

That is so weird.. why would they even have the option to apply for that program and then toss it later? What a waste of time and energy on your part

hey thanks Relm.

That's really odd, but hey, at least you're not out the application fee.

Maybe we'll cross paths in Urbana?! 

Does anyone know how many candidates SAIC is interviewing for Sculpture? The invitation sets out about two time slots for interviews on the 27th, which at 25 min. each would basically only allow for 10 interviews... Which is how many people the program accepts. Unless there are interviews on the 28th too?