MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

36 minutes ago, mfinley6021 said:

Interviewing with SAIC for Painting.... Just had my Skype interview with Royal College... Still waiting to hear from Columbia, Hunter, and Boston... if any other painters have heard from these schools please let me know, otherwise I'll consider myself rejected. 

I hadn't planned to bring any physical work to Chicago with me, let alone have any detail shots prepared on my laptop,    but after reading some of your guys posts i'm reconsidering. 

Did anyone else interview with RCA? Any afterthoughts about the interview? Mine went decently well...I was extremely nervous and it was a bit awkward because of the Skype.

I'm not sure if this applies to painting, but for Sculpture I asked if I should bring any materials (even printed), and they explicitly said no - just bring yourself. So I would check with the department coordinator specifically.

38 minutes ago, beemovie said:

Congratulations @MrBixler and @tynnifer--I also got an interview for the 8th for ruskin, so good luck to all of us!

@mfinley6021 I have my interview w RCA next week--any advice? I'm quite nervous. And congrats to you as well!! Sounds like you have a lot of exciting options

Congratulations to you, @beemovie. Hoping we all receive good news from the schools who have yet to make decisions and  wishing everyone the best of luck with upcoming interviews!

7 hours ago, Dogss said:

I am, I hope I hear from them soon!

me too (painting)! Ive got my fingers crossed.  I'm a big fan of UIowa's painting program -- and still no word yet from UT Austin or VCU though they've already been doing their interviews....blahh..anxiety man

Edited by Funeralopolis

1 hour ago, tunamindmelt said:

wait so nobody who applied to COLUMBIA for SCULPURE has received interview requests?

Congrats to you all moving forward with your applications!

I'm waiting on sculpture decisions too, haven't heard anything. 

4 hours ago, ss2 said:

That's super helpful, thanks. Do you think detail shots are a bad idea? How many photographic images did you bring?

I think detail shots could be helpful, it might show them a different aspect of your work that they hadn't noticed before. I think I brought about 8 photographic images of what I considered my best work.

4 hours ago, ss2 said:

Do you remember any questions they asked that stood out to you? Maybe one you wished you were better prepared for? I'm sure they ask different questions, but you never know!

Some questions they asked was what books I was currently reading, why I wanted to go to grad school and why SAIC. Also they kind of kept a running commentary of my paintings as they flipped through the slides. They comment on aspects of your work and ask specific questions about pieces, so it would be a good idea to go through your portfolio and know what you would say about each piece. One question that was specific to me (because my BFA was in Illustration) was what I thought makes illustration and fine art different.

4 hours ago, Holitron said:

Just got a rejection email from Penn State for ceramics. Anyone heard anything  from OSU, Ohio U, or Alfred yet?

I had an interview with OSU for Painting about a month ago. I haven't heard anything from them since. I applied to Penn State for painting and have been waiting for word from them for a while. Do they even do interviews? 

On February 16, 2016 at 7:15 PM, Madi1897 said:

Has anyone heard from MICA about interviews? Specifically Mount Royal?

I'm not sure about Mount Royal, but I interviewed for MICA's Low-Res program on Saturday.  I believe most of the programs at MICA are interviewing now through March.

Edited by ashleighxcult

44 minutes ago, Tjarrells said:

I had an interview with OSU for Painting about a month ago. I haven't heard anything from them since. I applied to Penn State for painting and have been waiting for word from them for a while. Do they even do interviews? 

Has anyone on this thread heard back from OSU after their interview with drawing and painting faculty? I am in the same boat and it's been a while so I've been assuming a rejection is on its way :/.

18 minutes ago, gtakaoka said:

Has anyone on this thread heard back from OSU after their interview with drawing and painting faculty? I am in the same boat and it's been a while so I've been assuming a rejection is on its way :/.

hi gtakaoka, i didn't apply to the painting and drawing program, but the letter i received says that they've selected the 15 candidates that the department, as a whole, are offering admission to. if you haven't received a definitive rejection at this point, it seems likely that you might be on the waitlist pending the decisions of those initial 15 applicants. just a guess.

Edited by dryheat

On February 9, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Laceybug said:

Is this referring to Irvine?

Anyone know which schools don't bother to send rejections?

On February 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM, gtakaoka said:

Well gosh, they moved fast. Congratulations!!

Hope they're as prompt with their rejection emails ;)

So for Rutgers and Irvine I'm rejected if no interview right?

Edited by itscontents

42 minutes ago, itscontents said:

I am not sure for Rutgers! I received a rejection email several days ago, so I would say that if you have not received a rejection, you could still be in the running :)

No clue on UCI though. 

Edit: also, thanks @dryheat for the insight on OSU! 

Edited by gtakaoka

4 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

I see someone in got an interview at Columbia in photo today--congrats!!

Anyone who applied for new genre get anything yet?

I got a e-mail invitation for interview from new Genre program at Columbia yesterday. 

Accepted into u of new mexico mon. Had interview with u of washington sun and have interview with uconn on the 23. Got rejected from everywhere last year...waiting to hear from iowa, indiana(bloomington) and tulane..painting

8 hours ago, itscontents said:

I think interviews are mandatory for Irvine, so I would guess so. 

I have no idea for Rutgers as they accepted people last year without interviews. I haven't heard back from them either. 

2 hours ago, le.xenia said:

Anyone heard from UIUC? It is said on their website that reviews will be finalized by mid-March, but I am wondering whether they interview applicants...

I have a friend at UIUC and he says the department had a funding cut this year and are only accepting like 1 person.  I don't know anything about the timeline, but I can ask him.