MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

regarding columbia painting,
i found out last night that two previous mfa painters who had to take breaks for medical reasons (one had a baby, one had a brain thing) are restarting in the fall, which means they're taking two less than usual. : /
it's a small number.

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker. I'm finally giving in to participating in this anxiety-ridden mess - I just can't stand the waiting in silence any longer!

I had an interview with UPenn (in person) last Friday, an interview with MICA Rinehart (skype) today and have an in-person interview with SAIC Sculpture on the 27th. Just got invited to interview for MICA Mt. Royal. The Penn interview was harder than I thought - some of the questions they asked (or the way they asked them) were somewhat disarming. They also got a little bit into theory and a more complex discussion of my artistic influences, etc. My advice to anyone interviewing would just be to stay calm! The MICA Rinehart interview was comparatively very relaxed and conversational.

Rejected from Yale and still waiting to hear from VCU Sculpture, SUNY Purchase Interdisciplinary, Concordia Sculpture and Carnegie Mellon Interdisciplinary.

Yes, I applied to a lot of schools...

Have a friend at Columbia, can confirm this. Columbia is also rumored to be looking for a specific demographic racially too. 

3 hours ago, whoevenknows said:

regarding columbia painting,
i found out last night that two previous mfa painters who had to take breaks for medical reasons (one had a baby, one had a brain thing) are restarting in the fall, which means they're taking two less than usual. : /
it's a small number.

i honestly think those who deserve to get an invite will, regardless of race and few spots.  Also, they'll be missing out on 2 tuitions for 2 years if they don't take the normal amount of new 1st years, so who really knows.  I think Columbia, like most schools, has a taste in work which may be the main factor.  Best of luck to all!  

Hey- I have a question for anyone who is going to Chicago for their SAIC interview in painting. All of my paintings are too large to transport, so I will be bringing some photographic images in a nice portfolio. However, they said they will be projecting your portfolio while you speak to them... Don't you think having the same images printed out is a bit redundant? Should I just print out detail shots? I'm so confused about what I should bring! Please help!

9 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

I applied to New Genres at Columbia and no longer have MFA on my slideroom. I think it just means they're looking at applications. I hope, anyway. 

I wonder when Rutgers will let those of us in limbo (no interview, but not rejected), know the final verdict..? 

Me too, "MFA" of "2016 New Genres MFA" disappeared today!

Hi everyone, first time poster but long time lurker here, I just wanted to put out some info from my experience since this forum has helped me so much.

So I got an interview from Columbia this year, last year I was rejected but was not notified until very late...in March I believe. This year I got a call from them last Saturday, they told me to email someone for interview dates and info, and I got a reply back yesterday. They gave me a specific interview date already, I did not have a choice to choose from a list of time slots. The interview dates are March 3rd and 4th. I'm afraid I don't know whether the SlideRoom 'myth' is true, but for reference I checked back after getting the call and my SlideRoom currently says 2016 Painting MFA. Hope this helps, and if anyone has heard back from Hunter, UCLA, RISD, or Rutgers, please let us know!

6 hours ago, ss2 said:

Hey- I have a question for anyone who is going to Chicago for their SAIC interview in painting. All of my paintings are too large to transport, so I will be bringing some photographic images in a nice portfolio. However, they said they will be projecting your portfolio while you speak to them... Don't you think having the same images printed out is a bit redundant? Should I just print out detail shots? I'm so confused about what I should bring! Please help!

I had an interview from SAIC last year and what I did was bring a portfolio book with photographic images(no detail shots) and one physical painting that was about 18"x18". They do project your portfolio and will flip through it while talking to you about your work, but they will also flip through your portfolio in the beginning if you brought one. I saw a few people brought in large scale paintings and I was intimidated because I thought that might hurt my chances of getting in, but I got accepted so I don't think it really matters too much if you bring physical work or not. I mean, I think it would be a plus since they would actually see and get a feel for the physicality of the work, but ultimately they are interested in what you have to say.

11 hours ago, dryheat said:

I haven't seen many people on here waiting to hear from UI-Chicago, but I just got an email to check my account and a rejection from them. 

Thanks for the heads up; just checked and saw I was rejected too. I wonder when they will email me?

55 minutes ago, junie said:

... if anyone has heard back from Hunter, UCLA, RISD, or Rutgers, please let us know!

I had an interview from SAIC last year ....

I got accepted so I don't think it really matters too much if you bring physical work or not.

Hey Junie,  This is my first time posting too, I sent you a message directly, please ignore it as I will ask you the same question here. 

It seems that you were accepted by SAIC last year, but you chose to re-apply rather than attend their program. If you don't mind, could you share your thoughts about that decision? 

I will be interviewing with them this year... so I'm really interested in your opinion.

1 minute ago, MP said:

Hey Junie,  This is my first time posting too, I sent you a message directly, please ignore it as I will ask you the same question here. 

It seems that you were accepted by SAIC last year, but you chose to re-apply rather than attend their program. If you don't mind, could you share your thoughts about that decision? 

I will be interviewing with them this year... so I'm really interested in your opinion.

Hi MP,

I ultimately chose to re-apply for grad school because last year was my first time applying, and I had decided to apply pretty late in the year and that affected the quality of my portfolio. I knew what I had submitted both statement and portfolio-wise wasn't my best. I had a good experience with my interview and tour with SAIC, but I realized that I actually didn't want to be located in the Midwest, I'd prefer California or the East Coast. If you have any questions regarding the SAIC interview by all means feel free to ask, I know how nerve wracking it can be. I can say that everyone I met at the interview: possible applicants, current students, and faculty, were all extremely nice and understanding.

39 minutes ago, thetylerlynch said:

Thanks for the heads up; just checked and saw I was rejected too. I wonder when they will email me?

it was an automatically generated email from the admissions department just saying that something has changed in my account and not an email directly from anyone in the art department. for that reason, it might have gone to your spam folder?

Just now, dryheat said:

it was an automatically generated email from the admissions department just saying that something has changed in my account and not an email directly from anyone in the art department. for that reason, it might have gone to your spam folder?

Huh, strange. I just checked my spam folder but nothing. 

11 minutes ago, marg37 said:

Just received an email from Columbia University - Invited to an interview on-campus at March 3rd aaaaaaaaaaaah I guess I'm flying to NYC.

I applied with a printmaking application.

Congrats!

36 minutes ago, marg37 said:

Just received an email from Columbia University - Invited to an interview on-campus at March 3rd aaaaaaaaaaaah I guess I'm flying to NYC.

I applied with a printmaking application.

Congratulations!!
Best of luck on your interview! 

Edited by Pulsar

8 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Congrats Marg37. Was it an individual email or sent to a group? Good luck on your interview! 

Also- have you looked at your slide room lately :P ? Is MFA back in the description? 

Edited by C123L

I have applied for two programs in MICA post-baccalaureate in graphic design  and MFA in the same....I just got accepted for an interview session for the post bacc program. I havnt heard about the MFA yet.

Plus i want to apply yo Boston University for MFA graphic. Any tip for my interview and any thoughts abt BU?