Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

@striped I know how you feel. I was advised to go straight for a PhD and not waste my time with an MA. After this application round, I definitely wish I would have applied to MA programs. Everyone else has given you really solid advice. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about funded MA programs, but if you have any other questions about experience at the BA level, or how to supe up your CV, let me know.

For me personally, I only applied to 3 programs. I have only heard back from one, where luckily enough I did get invited for an interview this weekend. I haven't heard from any other of my prospective programs. So trust me, there is hope!! Try not to think so negatively about your qualifications, which I know is easier said than done. It is absolutely terrifying putting yourself out there when you know others with more advanced degrees are applying for the same spots as you. I have no doubts that you are capable of PhD level research, you have gotten this far. And especially considering all the adversities you have overcome to be where you are right now, you should be tremendously proud of yourself. You are exactly the kind of student any graduate program would be thrilled to have, especially in anthropology. 

@striped I'm in the same boat as you as an undegrad applying straight to PhD programs. I feel very underqualified, even though as an undergrad I have done a lot (no publications or anything, just heavy coursework, a little study abroad, working as a tutor). I do have hope though that the PhD programs that say they admit BA students really mean it. For those schools they get a deal if they can keep one student under their wing for their entire graduate career. There is hope! 

I have recently discovered this forum and maybe I don't know exactly yet what is where. However, I wonder why are there so few posts about Canadian universities. Please, tell me what is the reason.

I have applied to 2 Canadian universities - University of Victoria and University of Saskatchewan for the MPA Fall program of 2017 and haven't got answers yet. It has been more that a month since my application was under review by department. I would be greatful if anyone could share some experience about the admission process to these universities. Has anybody already got an admission for the Fall 2017? When did you start the application process? If the application is still under discussion, what is its status, is there any progress? Please, be so kind to respond to any of my questions!! Thanks in advance!

@stripedand @terraaurea It is very possible to get into Ph.D. programs straight from undergrad! I did, as well as quite a few others in my cohort. It's true that some programs are definitely more keen on taking students with masters degrees, but my program is in the top ten of the NRC ratings and I got in right out of undergrad. It is very possible!

Just hang in there, don't count your chickens before they are hatched! I'm rooting for you!

@toward the ocean Hi, first time poster, I applied to a Canadian M.A. program two years ago. It is my understanding that Canadian university acceptances come out a little later than most US schools. also there is no final deadline for when they have to send a response to you. In my cohort I found out I was accepted in February, though another student got an acceptance about a month before term started. I think thats an extreme example, but I would look to see when people heard back last year, and you can always contact the department or your POI asking for an update, worst that will happen is they wont respond. 

@youinreverse I'm trying to keep my chin up, but I applied to such top programs...and this is my second time applying. I've now invested around $1,700 in application fees, countless hours preparing everything...of course, it was all worth it, and really, it's the minimum one should do for something this serious they want to pursue, but it's disheartening to think that I've never been a serious consideration for admission- I'm probably an easy rejection. It's my responsibility to make myself more competitive, it just seems like I'm not getting anywhere with the efforts I'm making and I'm thinking it's because I have no idea where to start. CONGRATS ON YOUR INTERVIEW! That's seriously amazing, I hope it goes well! Sending all the best vibes your way.

@terraaurea That's good to know there's hope! I didn't know about schools having an incentive like that to admit people out of undergrad like that. Wishing you the best of luck for all the programs you applied to!

@busybee That's awesome that you got in straightaway like that. I wish I knew the different expectations of the programs. On their website they say one thing, but reading everyone's feedback/discussions in the forums makes me realize that these programs operate in a very different way than they convey on their website. I reached out to so many professors / current grad students to find out more about the admissions process, but didn't receive super helpful feedback about it. I get the sense that a lot of professors/current grad students think it's tacky or some kind of faux pas to discuss admissions processes. 

Today at work I got an email from 'office of admissions'. I got it when I was one the phone with a client. I openend it,..and,....it was from one of those GRE mail school thingies..-_- 

@striped I hope you finally get your reward this cycle! If I don't make it this year I'm going to try again next year, like you did!

Hi all! This is just kind of a general response to some of the concern about getting a master's before applying to doctoral programs. My advice comes only from personal experience, and I'm sure there are people whose stories about applying directly are very different from mine, but I wanted to add a few thoughts to the convo. Two years ago, I was in the exact same position (applying with a BA, and watching rejections roll in, even though I had great credentials). First, I was also told repeatedly that getting a master's from a terminal program wasn't worth the cost. This was the primary reason I avoided most master's programs (aside from the one I got into and am now attending). Certainly, a lot of programs are very expensive. However, many have fellowships, RAships, and other funding mechanisms that they may not publicize on their websites, because they aren't certain from year to year. If there's a master's program you're interested in, talk to someone in the department. I was pleasantly surprised by the support I was offered. Second, there is SO much beyond credentials that master's programs offer. I learned a ton about the inner workings of academia, and the types of values and language that are important to cultivate. I also made a ton of contacts through my mentors, who have been very interested in helping me to succeed in moving forward with a doctoral career. The first time I applied to PhD programs, I didn't get into any. So far, this round, I've gotten one acceptance and one interview, and am awaiting replies from 2 others. I don't think that having another degree under my belt was what made the difference. I think it was knowing the field better, being able to position myself in current scholarly conversations, and the connections I made. For these reasons, the master's was SO worth it. I would highly recommend this route. 

Also, don't give up! I know how disappointing it is. But bouncing back and growing as a student is a pretty great experience.

Edited by Spaghettyohz
Accidental submission

1 hour ago, Spaghettyohz said:

Certainly, a lot of programs are very expensive. However, many have fellowships, RAships, and other funding mechanisms that they may not publicize on their websites, because they aren't certain from year to year. If there's a master's program you're interested in, talk to someone in the department. I was pleasantly surprised by the support I was offered. Second, there is SO much beyond credentials that master's programs offer. I learned a ton about the inner workings of academia, and the types of values and language that are important to cultivate. I also made a ton of contacts through my mentors, who have been very interested in helping me to succeed in moving forward with a doctoral career.

I'll second that. My MS (osteoarchaeology) professors were the most useful human beings on Earth. The actual research I did was not very closely related to my proposed project at all, but the act of designing, heading up, and reporting on my own excavation was such a valuable experience I never would have been trusted with in undergrad. More importantly, my MS research taught me how to be a zooarchaeologist in practical terms, which shaped how I perceive what can be and what I want to be achieved by my future work. With how nebulous my plans were coming out of undergrad, I never would have been accepted straight into Phd.

Oh, and I got funding through menial lab management work. The funding opportunity wasn't advertised before admittance, so sometimes it's worth it just to ask your potential programs what they'd offer. 

But that's just me. Not for nothing, though, I work as a research assistant in a university zooarch lab now, and only 1 out of 4 Phds there didn't get a masters first. So, it's not impossible to get in with a BA, but it's definitely not a bad choice to pursue a masters in between.

Edited by Archaeodan

@Spaghettyohz @ArchaeodanGoodness, SUCH good advice. I wish someone had told me that six months ago. I was oscillating between applying to PhD and/or MA programs and based on advice I had received from current students here, a few students I corresponded to in the programs I was applying to, and one of LOR writers, I applied to 3 PhD programs out of 4 programs total. What you said about the MA being mostly beneficial for knowing the ins and outs of academia is so true- it's such a foreign world to me at this point, and I think being trained in that before conducting research is really important. Well, I suppose I should start preparing my application materials again for the next application cycle...! Thanks so much for both of your much-needed perspectives on this. 

I also agree on that. I wouldn't have known where to start in undergrad for publications and, until a few years ago, my department didn't have a listserv, so knowing about conferences would have been much more difficult as well. I'm so happy I did my MA when and where I did because I have found my cohort to be invaluable in my time here. 

Anyone want to claim the Yale interview? Yale is one of my top schools( shocking right?) and I haven't heard anything from POI or the school about interviews. I also went for a campus/ dept visit( invited by my POI) before I submitted my application since I live close by. I'm not sure if they wouldn't invite me for an interview because they have already met me and heard about my research ideas, but it still has me worried. 

8 minutes ago, runningwithquills said:

@homogenius I got the Yale interview. I'm in cultural though, and received the email from the "Coordinators, Doctoral Admissions, Sociocultural, Linguistic, and Medical Anthropology at Yale." Not sure how it works for biological anthro. 

Thanks @runningwithquills. I feel better knowing that you are cultural and I didn't miss out on an interview because I do think cultural and bio do thing differently. Congrats on the interview!!

just wanted to update everyone as an applicant last year who didn't do well. last year i applied right out of undergrad and only got one unfunded offer. i decided to work abroad and it was an amazing experience! also, i got interviews at the (only) 2 PhD programs I applied to for this round. 

some lessons: not going straight to a PhD isn't the end of the world-it can actually help a ton in terms of personal growth

a year can make a huge difference in terms of acceptances! and keep in touch with POIs always

6 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

just wanted to update everyone as an applicant last year who didn't do well. last year i applied right out of undergrad and only got one unfunded offer. i decided to work abroad and it was an amazing experience! also, i got interviews at the (only) 2 PhD programs I applied to for this round. 

some lessons: not going straight to a PhD isn't the end of the world-it can actually help a ton in terms of personal growth

a year can make a huge difference in terms of acceptances! and keep in touch with POIs always

I can attest to the power of a MA. I finished my BA two years ago and applied for multiple doctoral programs. They weren't even all top tier and I certainly felt in hindsight that I was grasping. I got one unfunded offer. My BA institution took pity and offered me a fully funded MA spot in our terminal masters program. I took it. Since then I have presented my research at AES, embraced the MA program and was elected president of our AGSA, and now am in Cali interviewing for a spot at UCI. Persistence and caressing rejection like an old friend make success a long game always worth engaging. Good Luck to you, you are all so good!

On a somewhat unrelated note, can I just say as an applicant from a Muslim country (not on the banned list, but chances are it may be soon) I don't even know what an acceptance would mean at this point (I've gotten no acceptances or rejections so far). I did my MA in the US and had an amazing experience. Never thought I'd be questioning if applying for my PhD to the US was a good idea. But I am absolutely doing that right now. //rant over//

@enfp If it makes you feel any better, all of us sane people are trying as hard as we possibly can protesting and contacting lawmakers to change minds. I know it can't mean much practically, but a vast majority of the US disagrees with Trump's immigration ban. We're trying to fix this :(

8 hours ago, enfp said:

On a somewhat unrelated note, can I just say as an applicant from a Muslim country (not on the banned list, but chances are it may be soon) I don't even know what an acceptance would mean at this point (I've gotten no acceptances or rejections so far). I did my MA in the US and had an amazing experience. Never thought I'd be questioning if applying for my PhD to the US was a good idea. But I am absolutely doing that right now. //rant over//

@enfp: As an American who works in, lives in, and loves MENA countries and cultures as well as Islam, I am absolutely devastated by this, along with what feels like the majority of my country. Even though I am abroad, I too am calling lawmakers and trying desperately to do anything and everything I can. 

5 hours ago, obicycleo said:

Anyone heard anything from Brown yet? Historically they schedule interviews this week. Getting a little nervous.

I haven't heard back yet, but I got interviewed a month or so ago with my poi's. I did contact one of them unrelated to the app and they said that they still had a few applications to look over, and that was about a week or so ago.

8 minutes ago, Bschaefer said:

I haven't heard back yet, but I got interviewed a month or so ago with my poi's. I did contact one of them unrelated to the app and they said that they still had a few applications to look over, and that was about a week or so ago.

Not a more "formal" interview though, correct? My impression (from grad friends in the program) is that those happen later after all apps are turned in and looked at. Then again, I could be totally off-base in my understanding of the process. It's also possible that the timeline that I was given could be particular to applicants in my subgroup (Mesoamericanists), if that makes sense. Or I could simply be on the rejection list...who knows. Thank you for the response.