Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

Oh gosh that is horrible! I found out that one of my recommenders the year prior did not send the letter of rec. for 3 schools for a student.  So she basically wasted $300 and a lot of effort on schools that she could have gotten in to.  I luckily found out that she did this a month before my first school deadline, so I was able to remind her a few times to send them in time.

12 hours ago, schizometric said:

School Name: Gallaudet University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/16/17
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: Choice of 2/28 or 3/2

Your strike rate is amazing. Getting interview calls at 11 out of 16 is incredible. Now to just close on your top choice! Good luck!

On 2017/2/16 at 11:17 AM, g.birster001 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Carnegie Mellon University?

I emailed POI two months ago (POI: DC). He told me that he had a lot of applicants this year but he was only able to invite 1-2 people for interviews. I was not on his short list. Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, meep95 said:

Oh gosh that is horrible! I found out that one of my recommenders the year prior did not send the letter of rec. for 3 schools for a student.  So she basically wasted $300 and a lot of effort on schools that she could have gotten in to.  I luckily found out that she did this a month before my first school deadline, so I was able to remind her a few times to send them in time.

I have a somewhat similar encounter. One of my PIs sent the wrong letter (for another student) for me (1 school). I found out because the ad commitee contacted me after the deadline. But I am glad that they gave me and my PI a chance to correct the letter. I am glad that things go right for you! Best luck!

20 minutes ago, MrTree said:

Hi all, I hope offers are starting coming in. I have a question though: generally how long will I hear back from school about decisions after the interview?

I've heard back right away. The interviews have taken place on Saturdays and I've heard from the programs by Tuesday evening. One was an acceptance and the others were waitlist. Schools tend to be very upfront with your status filling the interview day. 

29 minutes ago, MrTree said:

Hi all, I hope offers are starting coming in. I have a question though: generally how long will I hear back from school about decisions after the interview?

It definitely varies. For one of my schools it's been 3 weeks; I have contacted my POI and confirmed that they're still in the process of putting offers together before extending them. It's been 1 week exactly for another program and I imagine they'll notify today (they told us to expect to hear around the middle of this week).

My friend has been to more interviews and she seemed to hear back about a week after (sometimes a bit less). 

32 minutes ago, MrTree said:

For me, it has ranged from two hours - two days. My schools have been pretty quick about letting me know if I've been accepted. 

1 hour ago, MrTree said:

I've heard back from one within 1 business day, but another school won't be contacted their top picks until 2 weeks after interviews because they have to hear back about funding. It varies per school. And then if someone is wait listed it may take longer.

Edited by That Research Lady

Has anyone heard back from UM-St. Louis after interviewing? It's been radio silence for almost 3 weeks, and I haven't seen anything on the results thread :( wondering if they are just taking a really long time to make decisions, or if they've already notified their first-choice offers who just haven't posted here yet...?

2 hours ago, MrTree said:

I emailed POI two months ago (POI: DC). He told me that he had a lot of applicants this year but he was only able to invite 1-2 people for interviews. I was not on his short list. Hope this helps.

About how long did it take your POI to reply? If you don't mind me asking.

2 hours ago, MrTree said:

We actually had the same POI! I received the same feedback from him about 2 weeks ago. Seems this year was particularly crazy with number of applicants and competitiveness. 

Wow, UConn lost funding this year and my POI is no longer taking students (after initially very strongly saying they would be able to). I wish they could've figured that out before I spent money going to interview... knowing that you would've gotten in in a normal year is almost worse than a straight up rejection.

47 minutes ago, blonderoast said:

Wow, UConn lost funding this year and my POI is no longer taking students (after initially very strongly saying they would be able to). I wish they could've figured that out before I spent money going to interview... knowing that you would've gotten in in a normal year is almost worse than a straight up rejection.

Can I ask who your POI is?

1 hour ago, justbreathe said:

Can I ask who your POI is?

2 hours ago, blonderoast said:

I'm curious about this as well

2 hours ago, blonderoast said:

6 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

I'm curious about this as well

If you could share with me as well I'd really appreciate it! Sorry that happened by the way, that's a huge let-down I'm sure.

3 hours ago, blonderoast said:

Ugh. Same. So frustrating!

Just a quick  plea to everyone out there: please don't hold too many offers at once! I know you want to weigh your options but if you know there are some you definitely like less please release them for the poor unfortunate souls on waitlists.

Now that people have started interviewing/getting acceptances..what kinds of stipends are people seeing? What seems to be an appropriate amount? I know that this is all relative as cost of living is different in each city but I'm looking for a way to gauge how much stipend money is enough.