Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

Need some input, I have had one POI at a university (via email) say that I sounded like a great match for their program and another POI at the sake university say that they hope to meet me. The applications are reviewed by a committee though. Has anyone had experience with something like this? I would assume the committee would know nothing of conversations potential grad students have had with faculty. Wondering if interview chances would increase or if it would have no effect on the committee?

5 minutes ago, Dondante_MMJ said:

Need some input, I have had one POI at a university (via email) say that I sounded like a great match for their program and another POI at the sake university say that they hope to meet me. The applications are reviewed by a committee though. Has anyone had experience with something like this? I would assume the committee would know nothing of conversations potential grad students have had with faculty. Wondering if interview chances would increase or if it would have no effect on the committee?

I am interviewing with two POI's during one of my upcoming interviews. I think it happens sometimes if there are multiple people interested in working with you?

3 minutes ago, nervous_nellie said:

I am interviewing with two POI's during one of my upcoming interviews. I think it happens sometimes if there are multiple people interested in working with you?

I'm more concerned with whether or not an admissions committee would be aware of such conversations? Or are they completely unaware/impartial to those types of interactions?

1 hour ago, Dondante_MMJ said:

I'm more concerned with whether or not an admissions committee would be aware of such conversations? Or are they completely unaware/impartial to those types of interactions?

I imagine they may initially be unaware of who is talking to what other faculty but they do eventually become aware.

For example, I had two skype interviews with two different POIs at the same school and they seemed unaware of me interviewing with the other (and I didn't mention it). One of them offered me an on campus interview at the end of the call but the official email I got from the department mentioned both their names. 

9 minutes ago, Roxy3232 said:

Any word on interviews from anyone out there from University of Oregon, Washington, or Suffolk University Boston? Asking for a friend haha

Suffolk typically doesn't extend interview offers until January 20-25th ish :)

1 minute ago, justbreathe said:

Suffolk typically doesn't extend interview offers until January 20-25th ish :)

Thanks justbreathe. I know its early for some of the schools, but a buddy of mine already has 3 rejections and one interview set up. Just hoping some of my top schools haven't passed me up already haha.

33 minutes ago, Roxy3232 said:

Any word on interviews from anyone out there from University of Oregon, Washington, or Suffolk University Boston? Asking for a friend haha

I got an interview invite for University of Oregon on December 8th. The interview date is January 20th. 

13 minutes ago, benji1008 said:

I got an interview invite for University of Oregon on December 8th. The interview date is January 20th. 

Ah congrats Benji1008! Best of luck

50 minutes ago, byn said:

Did you reach out and have convos with the 2 POIs via e-mail, only? I did this exact thing with 2 POIs at a university- reached out to them individually via e-mail before the application deadline and following the application deadline (And also included both of their names in my SOP). Turned out one of them could not accept a student because of funding issues PAST the deadline, and he won't be accepting a student after all. I think it's safe to say it was a good decision for me to reach out to the other POI as well.

If applications are screened by a committee though, I don't think it would have any effect (Unless of course one of these two a part of the committee). Although now, you will be having 2 POIs (instead of 1) looking out for your application materials which is always great news.

Yes, I reached out to three POI's before the deadline (they have a track that is concentrated in my area of research) and two after the deadline. We will see how it works out, wishing the faculty reviewed apps themselves as opposed to an admissions committee.

Does anyone have any insight about the status of applications at the U. of South Carolina.  I've seen one poster saying they were notified for an interview by POI.  Wondered if all those invites have gone out or if it varies by POI?  Thanks!

Anybody have any idea on the decision processes by U Maryland College Park, WUSTL, or Temple? Hard to tell if they are finished with the interview selection process based off what I can find on SDN and TGC.

1 minute ago, lalaman said:

Anybody have any idea on the decision processes by U Maryland College Park, WUSTL, or Temple? Hard to tell if they are finished with the interview selection process based off what I can find on SDN and TGC.

I'm pretty sure Temple's interviews are this week and next week, so if you haven't heard by now, you probably didn't get one. 

1 minute ago, stereopticons said:

I'm pretty sure Temple's interviews are this week and next week, so if you haven't heard by now, you probably didn't get one. 

Ok. Yeah they sent an email out right before Holiday break saying they'd be paused until 1/2 so I wasn't sure if that meant they still were in the reviewing process or that they just wouldn't be answering emails. Thank you ?

Hi all! I'm late to the game but I wanted to extend congratulations for any interviews already received! Best wishes to everybody in the next few weeks- may your anxiety be low and interview notifications be plenty :)

I also wanted to add my research interests-- my broad research focus is the neurobiology of non-suicidal self-injury and suicidality (staying general for privacy).

Best of luck everyone!

Edited by eeepsych13

3 minutes ago, eeepsych13 said:

Hi all! I'm late to the game but I wanted to extend congratulations for any interviews already received! Best wishes to everybody in the next few weeks- may your anxiety be low and interview notifications be plenty :)

I also wanted to add my research interests-- my broad research focus is the neurobiology of non-suicidal self-injury and suicidality (staying general for privacy).

I applied to Temple (interview coming up), U Minnesota (phone interview complete), Harvard, Yale (most likely rejected), Florida State (most likely rejected), South Florida, Stony Brook, U of I Chicago, U Hawaii

Best of luck everyone!

Hi eeepsych13,

I also applied to South Florida so if you hear anything could you let me know and I will do the same if I hear anything. Thank you and good luck on these next few weeks.

1 minute ago, FuturePhDGirl said:

Hi eeepsych13,

I also applied to South Florida so if you hear anything could you let me know and I will do the same if I hear anything. Thank you and good luck on these next few weeks.

Yes, will do! Thank you very much and wishing you the best of luck!

To the poster above who got good news from the Univ of South Carolina, did you get an invitation for an in person interview?  Or skype interview?  And was your invitation from your POI or from the department as a whole.  Trying to figure out if there is still any hope or if all invitations have gone out ...  Thanks!