Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

32 minutes ago, seachief said:

I haven't heard anything from UMass-Boston, UConn, Virginia Tech, or Michigan State, but apparently people have received interview offers for these schools directly from POIs already--should I be worried?

If the invitations were specifically from POIs then you aren't necessarily out of the game (your POI could take longer than the others to send invites, for example) but if they were mass-email invites from the Director or something then you likely won't be receiving an invitation to interview. That doesn't necessarily mean you're out 100%, but you should know that this is the most likely outcome when you miss a wave of invites.

2 minutes ago, CEF2017 said:
Application cycle veterans--is it typical to receive a rejection letter if a school isn't interested in having you interview, or are official rejection letters only sent out after an interview with a school when a final decision is being made? 
Is no news good news if a school has already sent out multiple invites last month?

Unfortunately, no news is usually bad news if a wave of invites has gone out. Typically rejections don't get sent until way late, like March, after they've offered admission to the select few. You can always send an email to Admissions and ask if they've finished extending invites and they'll usually tell you if that's the case; not receiving an invite is basically 99% chance of rejection because they'll build their waitlist from the 2nd/3rd choices of those interviewed

4 minutes ago, PhD_Wannabe01 said:

Hey all,

Has anyone heard from: 

1. University of Denver
  2. UMSL
  3. SLU
  4. University of Montana
  5. John Jay College of Criminal Justice
  6. University System of Ohio – Ohio University
  7. University of Tennessee System - Knoxville
  8. University of Texas System – Austin

I don't know about most of these, but I don't believe UT Austin has sent out any Clinical (or Counseling, for those who care) invites yet. According to previous years, the Clinical program seems to invite relatively late compared to other programs; I wouldn't expect to hear from them until probably the last week of January. Counseling Psych should be a week or two prior to that. 

46 minutes ago, PhD_Wannabe01 said:

Hey all,

Has anyone heard from: 

1. University of Denver
  2. UMSL
  3. SLU
  4. University of Montana
  5. John Jay College of Criminal Justice
  6. University System of Ohio – Ohio University
  7. University of Tennessee System - Knoxville
  8. University of Texas System – Austin

UT Knoxville has sent out their clinical invitations. Idk about counceling.

University of Denver sent out an email a few weeks ago saying them at some POIs will be reaching out for preliminary Skype interviews in late December and early January. I saw someone post that they got a Skype interview about a week ago. I haven't heard anything else yet though. 

48 minutes ago, Pleaseletmelearn said:

UT Knoxville has sent out their clinical invitations. Idk about counceling.

University of Denver sent out an email a few weeks ago saying them at some POIs will be reaching out for preliminary Skype interviews in late December and early January. I saw someone post that they got a Skype interview about a week ago. I haven't heard anything else yet though. 

Thanks for the reply. How do you know about UT Knoxville?

1 hour ago, PhD_Wannabe01 said:

Thanks for the reply. How do you know about UT Knoxville?

Clinical POIs have been sending out personal invites all week. There's a small chance some of them have left it until last minute, but they were all recommended to contact their invitees by the end of this week (meaning today). 

I work in a Clinical Lab at UTK, and a few professors have mentioned it in the past week. 

7 hours ago, seachief said:

I haven't heard anything from UMass-Boston, UConn, Virginia Tech, or Michigan State, but apparently people have received interview offers for these schools directly from POIs already--should I be worried?

What?! UConn interview invites have started coming out?! I haven't seen them on the results thread.

School Name: Mississippi State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/6/16
Degree
: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Email/DCT
Interview Date: 
3/4/17
Additional Info: Potluck with graduate students on 3/3

Question...when I received interview invites they were both just from department administrators. Should I email the POIs and thank them for the opportunity, etc? Is there really any need to be in contact with them at this point before the actual interviews? Have people done this in the past? Any help in there area is welcome :)

I saw on the results page that some people have received invites from university of central florida. (Congratulations) I am just wondering if it was a departmental invite or POI. Also if you don't mind sharing what does your ucf page say in regards to your status? Mine just says complete still so I am wondering if I should still be hopeful or not haha. Thanks ! Feel free to send me a PM

When are you all buying your plane tickets for travel? I have an interview 1/27 but the program hasn't sent specific details about timing (e.g., when we should arrive there, how late we should stay). I'm thinking of emailing them around Tuesday of next week to ask for details (because I feel like it's not unreasonable to want to get the ticket ~2 weeks ahead of time)? Or am I jumping the gun?

I saw two posts on thegradcafe result page about UIUC interview and started to wonder whether UIUC extended all its skype interview offers already? Does any one have an idea? Thank you!

7 hours ago, psychpride9 said:

When are you all buying your plane tickets for travel? I have an interview 1/27 but the program hasn't sent specific details about timing (e.g., when we should arrive there, how late we should stay). I'm thinking of emailing them around Tuesday of next week to ask for details (because I feel like it's not unreasonable to want to get the ticket ~2 weeks ahead of time)? Or am I jumping the gun?

I had the same problem, but I just went ahead and booked a ticket. I'm flying in the day before and leaving the day after. the email said to make sure im staying the entire interview day. 

If I would have waited the price of the plane ticket would have increased significantly. 

22 hours ago, seachief said:

In applying to UMB and UCONN last year, UCONN was very quick with interviews after the deadline (3 weeks). I did not receive and interview and actually never even got a rejection letter after having multiple conversations with the POI. 

UMB was all over the place with some interviews being extended a few weeks after the app deadline and some a month + later. Appeared to depend on the POI.

It all worked out in the end though!

Edited by Plasticity

On 12/4/2016 at 2:45 PM, lalaman said:

What are some of your research interests ? I'm applying almost exclusively to labs that focus on reward learning and motivational abnormalities in people with schizophrenia. 

Alcohol and substance abuse. I applied to clinical psych and clinical science Ph.D. programs

To the person posting on the results board about University Of Wisconsin Milwaukee: would you mind responding here or PMing any additional details you might have?

Was this correspondence with your POI or with someone speaking on behalf of the department?

thank you!

On 1/4/2017 at 3:27 PM, Round2letsgo said:

Congrats to those that have gotten an invite from University of Maryland - College Park. I would love to know who your POI is if you wouldn't mind PMing me :)

Same here please! I'm an international applicant 

To the FIU poster with a skype interview-I'm assuming you were contacted directly by POI, or was it through the department? Wondering if I should count myself out on interviews for them

Hi everyone :)

Finally created a TGC account after stalking the results search for the past 2 months. I'm applying to clinical and school psych programs. So far I have interviews with UCSB (school track) and Yeshiva (School-Clinical Child).

Does anyone know if all Drexel interviews have been sent out? It's one of my top choices along with UCSB

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, fritolay said:

Hi everyone :)

Finally created a TGC account after stalking the results search for the past 2 months. I'm applying to clinical and school psych programs. So far I have interviews with UCSB (school track) and Yeshiva (School-Clinical Child).

Does anyone know if all Drexel interviews have been sent out? It's one of my top choices along with UCSB

Thanks!

P.S. if you have any information about these schools (something I wouldn't be able to find on their website), please let me know. Thanks!

Hi all! Invited last week to interview with UM-St. Louis on 1/30, still anxious to hear from other programs. To the person who posted their interview invitation with Northern Illinois University, and the person who posted their invitation to UC-Colorado Springs, would you mind sending me your POI? Thanks :)

Also, does anyone know if all invitations for UMiami and MiamiU have been sent? I've seen quite a few posts on those invitations. 

10 minutes ago, applicant17 said:

Hi all! Invited last week to interview with UM-St. Louis on 1/30, still anxious to hear from other programs. To the person who posted their interview invitation with Northern Illinois University, and the person who posted their invitation to UC-Colorado Springs, would you mind sending me your POI? Thanks :)

Would the person mind messaging me their POI initials if they feel comfortable for Northern Illinois University as well please?! Thanks!

9 minutes ago, shenova said:

Would the people who posted on the results page about Drexel mind saying who their PI is? And also--was this a preliminary interview or an invitation for in-person? Thanks so much!

I'd like to know as well please!!