Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

9 minutes ago, HopefullyDr said:

Hopefully the interviews go well and you can at least find out right away if you've been accepted. I wish you the best of luck in balancing work and school!

Thanks! I'm fortunate that all but 1 of the original 5 interviews I got invited for (not counting the 2 I got today) will do it over phone or Skype. I just wish the interviews were held on weekends, would be a lot easier for travel. 

1 hour ago, FacelessMage said:

Thanks! I'm fortunate that all but 1 of the original 5 interviews I got invited for (not counting the 2 I got today) will do it over phone or Skype. I just wish the interviews were held on weekends, would be a lot easier for travel. 

Definitely. I only have two interviews to prepare for but one is out of state and I am waiting to hear from other schools before I confirm -- I don't know how travel/work will work out for me just yet-- and I am hoping they will be accommodating if I need to do an interview over Skype or the phone! Best of luck :)

Seemed like today was a pretty slow day for interviews...hoping tomorrow is better...for everyone's sake! Good luck guys! (also...let's all remember that we are just barely getting to the busy season of receiving interview offers...there is still hope for us all!)

Wondering if this is standard... I got an email today inviting me to interview (woohoo!) from the DCT but it doesn't specify a POI. The only other interview I've gotten was directly from my POI. Should I assume I'm interviewing with POI I specified in my statement? I'd like to be prepared by reading their research etc

11 minutes ago, Rose1128 said:

Wondering if this is standard... I got an email today inviting me to interview (woohoo!) from the DCT but it doesn't specify a POI. The only other interview I've gotten was directly from my POI. Should I assume I'm interviewing with POI I specified in my statement? I'd like to be prepared by reading their research etc

I had a similar situation this cycle. When I received an invitation, I assumed it was with a certain POI at the university (I had named 3). Upon closer inspection of the email, I realized that only 1 of the POIs I mentioned in my statement of purpose was copied on the email and it was not the one I expected. I'm not exactly sure how you would couch the question. I can tell you that in a past cycle as the interview date drew closer I was informed which POIs I would be meeting with individually. Hope that helps. Congratulations and good luck!

2 minutes ago, Rose1128 said:

The interview I received from one of my schools didn't specify a POI either but I only applied to one and so I am assuming that is who the interview is with....ya know I never really thought about it before...I really really really am now hoping that it's that person and not someone else from the department that got excited about me and invited me without warning. hm.

13 minutes ago, PNIplz said:

The interview I received from one of my schools didn't specify a POI either but I only applied to one and so I am assuming that is who the interview is with....ya know I never really thought about it before...I really really really am now hoping that it's that person and not someone else from the department that got excited about me and invited me without warning. hm.

Alright now I'm getting nervous...can this happen? Could I have been assigned someone I never requested without anyone telling me?

Can't figure out how to reply to a comment on mobile, oh well. Thanks to those who responded to my question! I'm imagining theyll specify who the interview is with closer to time, but no one was CC'd on the email. I guess I'll be hoping for a follow up email! 

5 minutes ago, Rose1128 said:

Can't figure out how to reply to a comment on mobile, oh well. Thanks to those who responded to my question! I'm imagining theyll specify who the interview is with closer to time, but no one was CC'd on the email. I guess I'll be hoping for a follow up email! 

Mine is a week from today so I went ahead and just sent a quick email to the faculty member who communicated the invite. Was just brief and said something along the lines of wanting to make sure that I was interviewing with the mentor I applied for as I continued preparing for next weeks interview, etc. I only did this because it was so close but if you get to a week or shorter I feel like it wouldn't be harmful to do the same!

1 hour ago, Rose1128 said:

I don't know if this will help but, I received an email from the actual department from one of the schools I applied to and it also did not specify the POI. When I spoke with the graduate student that is hosting me while I am there she told me that I would be interviewing with all of the faculty and not just the ones I listed as POI..... She told me to be familiar with all of the faculty but especially those I am interested in working under. Hope this helps! 

4 minutes ago, KayJay22 said:

I don't know if this will help but, I received an email from the actual department from one of the schools I applied to and it also did not specify the POI. When I spoke with the graduate student that is hosting me while I am there she told me that I would be interviewing with all of the faculty and not just the ones I listed as POI..... She told me to be familiar with all of the faculty but especially those I am interested in working under. Hope this helps! 

Thanks! I will definitely brush up on all faculty research then, just a little more with my POI. 

(And yay I figured out how to reply to a comment on mobile) ??‍♀️

2 minutes ago, Rose1128 said:

Thanks! I will definitely brush up on all faculty research then, just a little more with my POI. 

(And yay I figured out how to reply to a comment on mobile) ??‍♀️

You're welcome & Good luck !

14 hours ago, HopefullyDr said:

I've only seen one poster for University of Denver Clinical Child. Would the poster please email me their POI initials? Also, has anyone heard about their updates aside from TGC? 

I'm very interested in this too. Have interviews gone out for UD clinical child already??

It is my understanding that Drexel has begun sending out interview invitations, which I knew was due to happen this week. Does anyone know if all of the invitations have been sent out? I applied to several POIs and am hoping the invitations are staggered...

@FacelessMage I see that you got a Drexel interview. Did it come from your POI or was it a general e-mail from the DCT, Grad coordinator, etc? I know that my fit wasn't perfect with my POI, so I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get an invite. I just would rather know than not.

@JungAndNotAFreud Hope you don't mind me butting in but Drexel invites came via phone call from a program coordinator. I think its being done over a few days.

Also anyone have any details on UConn, UMass Boston and Harvard? You'd be saving me some grey hairs XD

Edited by 8BitJourney

20 hours ago, HopefullyDr said:

I've only seen one poster for University of Denver Clinical Child. Would the poster please email me their POI initials? Also, has anyone heard about their updates aside from TGC? 

Sorry, I know this is annoying but me too please!

I have heard back and gotten interviews everywhere I applied except Denver, which was one of my top choices. Another school offered me an interview during Denver's interview weekend and I'm not sure if I should accept...I am trying to decide if I should call the office and check on the status, or just wait. Do you guys think it would be super annoying if I called the office?

So, I have a few interviews at schools that aren't fully funded. It makes me nervous to think that I won't be making any money for 4-5 years and I'll even potentially be PAYING money. I know that one of my schools has partial funding and they employ you as a research assistant/teaching assistant. But all of that money goes toward tuition reimbursement, not a paycheck. How in the world does anyone fund even their basic necessities, living costs, etc? 

I'll take any insights!

Edited by discover

13 minutes ago, benji1008 said:

Sorry, I know this is annoying but me too please!

I have heard back and gotten interviews everywhere I applied except Denver, which was one of my top choices. Another school offered me an interview during Denver's interview weekend and I'm not sure if I should accept...I am trying to decide if I should call the office and check on the status, or just wait. Do you guys think it would be super annoying if I called the office?

I am considering doing the same thing. It looks like last year, invitations were send out around 01/15-01/20 so I am going to try to keep waiting. I don't want to be annoying either, haha. If you decide to call, though, would you mind sharing information on here ;)? Congrats on receiving so many interviews! I am still waiting to hear from seven schools. 

16 hours ago, Rose1128 said:

Hi yes that is normal. It is implied that you will be interviewing with your POI. You will also interview with other faculty in your program (ie other Clinical Psych professors) as well as grad students in your lab and in other labs. Be ready to do lots of talking and telling the same stories over and over again.

Someone asked if someone else would grab you... no, that doesn't typically happen. However, I interviewed somewhere and the POI was interested in me, then said "I think it would be good if you interviewed with my collaborator" who was someone I wasn't prepared to talk with at all, and then I received an offer to be co-mentored by the two of them. 

TLDR Interview weekends will keep you on your toes, be ready to be flexible and talk about your work with anyone/everyone.