Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

1 hour ago, discover said:

So, I have a few interviews at schools that aren't fully funded. It makes me nervous to think that I won't be making any money for 4-5 years and I'll even potentially be PAYING money. I know that one of my schools has partial funding and they employ you as a research assistant/teaching assistant. But all of that money goes toward tuition reimbursement, not a paycheck. How in the world does anyone fund even their basic necessities, living costs, etc? 

I'll take any insights!

Loans, mostly. At least that's my impression. 

Don't know if this was posted already but this was posted on SDN from the Council of University Directors of Clinical Psychology. They published a calendar of some schools application deadlines, interview notification dates, and interview dates. HTH

http://clinicalpsychgradschool.org/accre.php

1 hour ago, HopefullyDr said:

I am considering doing the same thing. It looks like last year, invitations were send out around 01/15-01/20 so I am going to try to keep waiting. I don't want to be annoying either, haha. If you decide to call, though, would you mind sharing information on here ;)? Congrats on receiving so many interviews! I am still waiting to hear from seven schools. 

I did call and left a voicemail. I will let you know if I hear anything! They did say in that status update email that they'd let people know if they aren't invited. I haven't heard from anyone who was rejected yet, either. I'm just not sure what to do because I would hate to accept this other interview and then back out of it if I got an interview at Denver. It does look like last year they sent out invitations pretty late. 

How long is it acceptable to wait before accepting an interview? I'm in the similar boat as the posters above where I've heard back from everywhere except my top choices, and I know there will be a conflict if I accept an interview for a program I am less excited about.

Also, is it gauche to ask if programs will offer financial assistance for interview costs? One of my interviews is on the other side of the country.

57 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Don't know if this was posted already but this was posted on SDN from the Council of University Directors of Clinical Psychology. They published a calendar of some schools application deadlines, interview notification dates, and interview dates. HTH

http://clinicalpsychgradschool.org/accre.php

Very interesting. It only had two of the places I applied, though, so I'm still worried about overlapping interviews. 

2 hours ago, pbjcafe said:

How long is it acceptable to wait before accepting an interview? I'm in the similar boat as the posters above where I've heard back from everywhere except my top choices, and I know there will be a conflict if I accept an interview for a program I am less excited about.

Also, is it gauche to ask if programs will offer financial assistance for interview costs? One of my interviews is on the other side of the country.

They should give you a pdf with all that information soon with: how soon you need to tell them if you are coming, how much they cover (UCSD is covering hotel/food/transportation, I just have to get reimbursed for my flight which is unfortunately more than the maximum allotted since it is cross country so I'll end up paying 150 out of pocket. Worth it), and your agenda of the events while there.

Edited by .letmeinplz//

School Name: University of Texas at Austin
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/13/2017
Degree
: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Email/POI
Interview Date:
2/6/2017 or 2/20/2017 or 2/24/2017
Additional Info: Partial Reimbursement

41 minutes ago, PhD_Wannabe01 said:

I would be interested in knowing as well! It's one of my top choices.

I received and email from the DCT for John Jay on the 11th about an interview. Not sure if they're sending out in waves or if that was it. I hope this helps!

Still very eagerly waiting on: UCLA, UCSD/SDSU, U Washington Seattle, Boston University, Rutgers (PhD), Duke, UVA (Arts&Sciences), and U Miami.

(In case others are as well!)

And of course if anyone has any inside scoop on these programs in terms of interviews, I'd love to hear!

1 hour ago, Slothanos15 said:

So...for those of us who applied to Drexel and still haven't heard about interviews, are we basically accepting that it's bad news ahead? 

Seems likely all the interviews have gone out ?

Yep, all of the interview invites were supposed to have gone out by the end of last week.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:03 PM, .letmeinplz// said:

They should give you a pdf with all that information soon with: how soon you need to tell them if you are coming, how much they cover (UCSD is covering hotel/food/transportation, I just have to get reimbursed for my flight which is unfortunately more than the maximum allotted since it is cross country so I'll end up paying 150 out of pocket. Worth it), and your agenda of the events while there.

Thanks for your reply. I did receive info with details on the agenda and lodging, but reimbursement was left out. Should I assume they won't cover my expenses and not bother asking? 

On 1/13/2017 at 6:57 PM, Psy123 said:

I see a lot of CITY college interview invites went out. Does anyone know if they send them all at once or if they spread them out throughout the next couple of weeks?

It was a mass email from the department, so the invites were probably sent out all at once 

2 minutes ago, pbjcafe said:

Thanks for your reply. I did receive info with details on the agenda and lodging, but reimbursement was left out. Should I assume they won't cover my expenses and not bother asking? 

Could always try to send an email to whoever is coordinating the visit (not professors), but yeah mine had the info in the invite letter.

1 hour ago, JB6 said:

Has Anyone heard from:

John Jay, UCONN, Fordham, Drexel, UPenn, Long Island University, or Farleigh Dickinson?

I got an invite to LIU (phd), interviewing on 2/18.