Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

25 minutes ago, ysi2010 said:

Hey all! I just got an invite to interview at GWU. It was sent from a professor who is currently accepting students but is not one of the two I specified in my statement.

I see that others who received invites from GW were emailed by their POIs. I looked in more detail at the profile for the professor who emailed me and their interests do match my experience and interests to some extent; I am unsure how to interpret this. Does this sometimes happen that a third professor invites on behalf of two professors when two have been indicated? Is she emailing just as a representative of GWU? This is (clearly) my first round in applying. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

It is also my first round applying too, but I would saying getting an invite from a professor who is accepting students (and does research relating to your interests) is a good thing. From what I've heard from grad students in my lab, profs will often "compete" for top students between one another, or where appropriate co-mentorship is possible. For example, for one program I am interviewing at for clinical psych (don't want to publish name for anonymity), my POI reached out to me to invite me to interview back in December. However, there's also a lot of experimental profs who do similar research as my interests, so I've also been randomly contacted by two experimental profs who want to meet and talk with me. 

I think someone talking to you is a good thing, especially if your interests match! You may or may not meet the other profs (they may or may not be taking students). I'd ask the grad coordinator or other professors directly about their taking status since you now have an interview. Say something along the lines of "Dear Prof X, I see prof Y has invited me to interview at university and I am honored. Since our interests match, I am wondering if I can also meet with you in addition to prof y on grad student day."

Hope this helps and congrats on the interview!

7 hours ago, Clinapp2017 said:

It is also my first round applying too, but I would saying getting an invite from a professor who is accepting students (and does research relating to your interests) is a good thing. From what I've heard from grad students in my lab, profs will often "compete" for top students between one another, or where appropriate co-mentorship is possible. For example, for one program I am interviewing at for clinical psych (don't want to publish name for anonymity), my POI reached out to me to invite me to interview back in December. However, there's also a lot of experimental profs who do similar research as my interests, so I've also been randomly contacted by two experimental profs who want to meet and talk with me. 

I think someone talking to you is a good thing, especially if your interests match! You may or may not meet the other profs (they may or may not be taking students). I'd ask the grad coordinator or other professors directly about their taking status since you now have an interview. Say something along the lines of "Dear Prof X, I see prof Y has invited me to interview at university and I am honored. Since our interests match, I am wondering if I can also meet with you in addition to prof y on grad student day."

Hope this helps and congrats on the interview!

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and the congrats! I am definitely thrilled to be invited. Congrats to you on having so much interest! I think it is interesting that experimental profs contacted you despite you applying specifically to the clinical program. Would you research under them while training in clinical psych in all other aspects of the program?

GWU posts their "taking" professors in a PDF on the application instruction webpage, so I applied to two who were on that list although I got information that led me to believe that certain professors may be more likely to accept than others based on their current advisee load. We shall see...

Edited by ysi2010

10 hours ago, PNIplz said:

My student center says complete...maybe I'd call again? Because by December 10th it hadn't but it has since switched.

Okay, I just called. I'm an international applicant so they said my Student Center will show Incomplete because the bank letter I'm supposed to submit is outstanding but isn't required unless I've been admitted to the program. So seeing "incomplete" is fine. 

Hi to the poster who received an interview invite from University of Wisconsin-Madison, congrats on the invite! Would you be so kind to PM me to let me know who your POIs are? Thank you very much! :) 

34 minutes ago, MrTree said:

Have any one heared from University of Virginia yet? I did not know if the previous poster on UVA mean University of Virginia.

UVA is the University of Virginia. People have posted about interview invitations for the Curry School of Education's clinical program but I have not seen anything about UVA's other program through the Psychology Department. 

15 hours ago, BrianPsych said:

Has anyone heard anything from:

U Washington (Seattle)

UCLA

SDSU/UCSD Joint Degree Program

Boston University

UVA

Duke

U Miami

?

It's been radio silence so far for me! Thanks 

I'm waiting to hear from U Washington and U Miami as well. So nervous! Also really hoping to hear from George Washington University, sounds like invites are coming directly from POIs? If the poster would feel comfortable sending their POIs initials I'd really appreciate it!

3 hours ago, ysi2010 said:

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and the congrats! I am definitely thrilled to be invited. Congrats to you on having so much interest! I think it is interesting that experimental profs contacted you despite you applying specifically to the clinical program. Would you research under them while training in clinical psych in all other aspects of the program?

GWU posts their "taking" professors in a PDF on the application instruction webpage, so I applied to two who were on that list although I got information that led me to believe that certain professors may be more likely to accept than others based on their current advisee load. We shall see...

I'm not exactly sure. The experimental profs and I are going to grab a beer after the welcome dinner from the grad students the Thursday night of interviews because they are both out of town the following day for a conference. The profs both work in the same "center" that my clinical POI works in, so I imagine there's a lot of collaboration in general. I appreciate them reaching out, and definitely having more allies in the admissions process won't hurt me one bit. :)

Yeah I think it's hard for profs to say how many students they can take based on advisee load. I know lots of universities (and topics that get little funding) have contigent professors who are willing to accept if funding comes through but if not they really can't. It's kinda a giant crap-shoot is my understanding, but it sounds like you are a strong and sought after applicant so that's good!!!

15 minutes ago, JacobW83 said:

I love when people flood the results page with fake results for 10 different schools..............

I was just wondering about that. That can't be real, can it? 

On the off chance that it is, can that person who got apparently every interview ever on the same day please PM me? ?

11 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

I was just wondering about that. That can't be real, can it? 

On the off chance that it is, can that person who got apparently every interview ever on the same day please PM me? ?

I'd bet money it's fake. They listed perfect scores for GPA, GRE, and GRE subject with like 10 interviews on the same day? Yeahhhokay

12 minutes ago, JacobW83 said:

I'd bet money it's fake. They listed perfect scores for GPA, GRE, and GRE subject with like 10 interviews on the same day? Yeahhhokay

It could be someone who got them over a certain period of time but put them in all in the same day and then didn't read that you could put the date you received a notification. But if there aren't any similar results it might be a troll. 

13 minutes ago, byn said:

I'm actually concerned individuals like these are applying to graduate schools and/or our potential peers- all we can do is report them. Beyond childish.

No matter where you go they will be lurking under every bridge. 

2 hours ago, periwinkle27 said:

UVA interviews went out yesterday, but there might be a chance that not everyone has been emailed yet.

I've seen a lot of notices from UVA's Curry School, but none from the clinical department in Arts & Sciences. Is the Curry School program the one you're referring to, when you say the interviews went out yesterday?

Looks like George Mason PhD Clinical Psychology interview invitations went out on Jan 5th... but I haven't received any notice. Bad sign, or should I still keep my fingers crossed?

I'm an international (Canadian) applicant, so part of me is hoping they are sending out international emails at a different time... Or even that they are doing it by supervisor... Any hope?

7 minutes ago, HappyLab said:

Looks like George Mason PhD Clinical Psychology interview invitations went out on Jan 5th... but I haven't received any notice. Bad sign, or should I still keep my fingers crossed?

I'm an international (Canadian) applicant, so part of me is hoping they are sending out international emails at a different time... Or even that they are doing it by supervisor... Any hope?

I'm trying to give myself a week from when other people have been sent interviews before panicking. Some schools send out interviews in waves and some send them all at once. Good luck!

18 minutes ago, HappyLab said:

Unfortunately, my email from GMU was a mass email sent from the DCT rather than from the POI, so I don't think any more will be forthcoming. They've already sent out surveys regarding accommodations and graduate student get-togethers. I'm the type who would rather know than be left hanging, so I thought I'd let you know. Best of luck for your other apps!

39 minutes ago, BrianPsych said:

I've seen a lot of notices from UVA's Curry School, but none from the clinical department in Arts & Sciences. Is the Curry School program the one you're referring to, when you say the interviews went out yesterday?

Yes, I mean the Curry School of Education only!