What Schools Are You Waiting On!?

2 hours ago, mɪs_spitʃ_pæθ said:

I was also rejected from App and wait-listed at Western. I'm kind of nervous because I feel like a ton of people were put on the wait-list for Western.. Although this is only my first year applying, I'm nervous about what I'll be doing this coming year (or years to follow). I have no clue what kind of job to look for that will be relevant to the field without having some kind of higher degree or certification. I also don't know how I'm going to remain competitive (volunteering/doing research/etc.) if I have to work a full time job to pay all my bills and hopefully save for potentially attending a speech program. This whole process is very nerve-wracking.

@lee09 I'm sorry guys! That makes me so nervous. How many schools did you apply to? I applied to almost all schools I had a pretty good feeling about getting into and a few schools I really liked but knew I had only a slim chance with. The schools I really liked I was unfortunately waitlisted or rejected at, but luckily I do have 4 choices right now. I'll probably decline 2 of them this week because I think I know my too 2. I really love Appalachian state though and I just want to hear SOMETHING. Did you guys get an email? Or just check your portal? 

And there's lots of people in my program that haven't heard any good news yet, so don't be too discouraged. We had an SLP come in to talk to in at a NSSHLA event yesterday and she got rejected from 4 schools and waitlisted at 1 and got off the waitlist in June, now she's a happily practicing SLP!! So don't be discouraged. If anything, Maybe try getting a job working as an ABA therapist (I believe all you need is your bachelors and then just some extra training) or at a child care center or something! Don't give up hope, if you want to be an SLP, you will be!

@katelynmarie Thanks for being so encouraging! :'( It makes me want to cry because you all are so supportive. This may be a silly question and it may show that I don't know much but, can you tell me what an ABA is? 
I'm trying to find child care job opportunity that would allow me to work there with a BA in Japanese, no teaching certificate etc. Do you know how I can go about that? 

I definitely want this and I believe it when you said, "...if you want to be an SLP, you will be!...." 

2 hours ago, Humptydumpty said:

Anxiously waiting to hear decisions from Alabama, has anyone heard anything?

I heard they should be getting letters out by the end of the week!

@katelynmarie I forgot to mention, for App state, they normally send out a letter saying that in the portal should be your decision letter. I was too impatient so I checked everyday last week and then saw the sad news...x(

6 minutes ago, lee09 said:

@katelynmarie I forgot to mention, for App state, they normally send out a letter saying that in the portal should be your decision letter. I was too impatient so I checked everyday last week and then saw the sad news...x(

Ugh I've been checking everyday too lol. 

Yeah, ABA is Applied Behavioral Therapy. It's working with kids on the autism spectrum, it's really similar to speech therapy! I worked with ABA therapists last year and loved it. I believe you only need a Bachelors in a related field (Communicative Sciences and Disorders works!) They will just need to give you a little bit of specific training. If I wasn't going to grad school, that's definitely what I would do because I loved it! Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Yeah my mom always told me whenever I stressed "we both know this is what you're meant to do with your life so no matte what it will happen." And if you have  a waitlist, you'e already almost there! There are many many people that end up getting off waitlists, I had a friend last year that was sure she wasn't going to grad school and got accepted like 3 days before classes started, so don't give up hope!

33 minutes ago, katelynmarie said:

Ugh I've been checking everyday too lol. 

Yeah, ABA is Applied Behavioral Therapy. It's working with kids on the autism spectrum, it's really similar to speech therapy! I worked with ABA therapists last year and loved it. I believe you only need a Bachelors in a related field (Communicative Sciences and Disorders works!) They will just need to give you a little bit of specific training. If I wasn't going to grad school, that's definitely what I would do because I loved it! Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Yeah my mom always told me whenever I stressed "we both know this is what you're meant to do with your life so no matte what it will happen." And if you have  a waitlist, you'e already almost there! There are many many people that end up getting off waitlists, I had a friend last year that was sure she wasn't going to grad school and got accepted like 3 days before classes started, so don't give up hope!

I'm an ABA therapist so if any of you have any questions, I can answer them!

According to someone on the results page Michigan State is still reviewing applications and will let everyone know next week. Ugh. I don't even want to go there now that I've been accepted to less expensive schools, but I would still like an answer. I'm so tempted to withdraw my application but I don't want to waste the cost of sending my GRE score

Old Dominion just accepted me today! The email says to keep on the lookout for additional emails about scholarships, so if you were waiting on them, check your emails everyone! Best of Luck!

2 hours ago, knewkirk said:

Old Dominion just accepted me today! The email says to keep on the lookout for additional emails about scholarships, so if you were waiting on them, check your emails everyone! Best of Luck!

Congrats, & thanks for the info! 

I'm still waiting on ODU, Redlands, Chapman, Eastern WA, and FL Atlantic! 

3 hours ago, K8eCastle said:

According to someone on the results page Michigan State is still reviewing applications and will let everyone know next week. Ugh. I don't even want to go there now that I've been accepted to less expensive schools, but I would still like an answer. I'm so tempted to withdraw my application but I don't want to waste the cost of sending my GRE score

Omg are you kidding? What is their deal? I'm annoyed that they're taking so long. I doubt I'm going there either, but still.

11 hours ago, lee09 said:

@mis_spit

We're on the same boat!! I'm glad I'm not feeling alone on this. How many more schools did you apply for? I hope we both get into Western, maybe we can help each other out if and when we get in *crossing fingers*! We are LITERALLY on the same boat! Just reading through your comment, I'm thinking to myself "wow, this sounds like my situation RIGHT NOW!" 

Maybe volunteer on the weekends if you don't work the weekends. I know it depends on what shift you work that will allow you to volunteer on the weekdays. My schedule varies but I can still volunteer and I don't work weekends. However, I would like to just get into a program and start working towards my career. If not, I'd like to find a new job and then some volunteer opportunities. 

I applied for all of the North Carolina schools (I can't afford out of state tuition). I was rejected from all except Western. Hopefully we'll both get in!! I'm hoping I can find a flexible enough job to allow me to volunteer or definitely have the time to volunteer on weekends. I'm like you though, I would love to just get into a program and be on the road to my career.

4 hours ago, edardi1 said:

As am I!

Behavior Tech / PCA here as well ...we should start a club ;-)  anyone feel free to PM me if you want more info! It's such a fun job. I started while I was still finishing up my undergrad (I had previous work experience though).

30 minutes ago, SLPsingballs said:

Still waiting on EWU, WWU, WSU (99% sure rejection since I didn't get an interview though), CSUN, Redlands, and RMUofHP.  You know, only most of my schools.  <_<

WSU starts telling people Friday, they sent out an email saying that. RMUofHP's application is due the 1st so I doubt it'll be this week at the very least.

So, I've been checking my application status for UNH for quite awhile. It typically says that it is under review, but when I checked this morning it said "waiting for final grad review". I'm not really sure what that means.  Does anyone know? Is it just a next step to making a decision that could go either way? I really have no idea and I'm trying not to worry about it.

17 hours ago, maurmaur said:

WSU starts telling people Friday, they sent out an email saying that. RMUofHP's application is due the 1st so I doubt it'll be this week at the very least.

Where are they sending emails to?! the WSU portal or the emails on our applications?!

So, ISU-Pocatello = April 1st...WSU-Spokane = 1st round of interviews done & sending letters March 24th...Ball State = ???... 

anyone know when most have to send in acceptances is.. just curious on when I can maybe start to expect my waitlist positions to be moved up..

26 minutes ago, speechie2b said:

So, ISU-Pocatello = April 1st...WSU-Spokane = 1st round of interviews done & sending letters March 24th...Ball State = ???... 

anyone know when most have to send in acceptances is.. just curious on when I can maybe start to expect my waitlist positions to be moved up..

I'm not sure about those specific programs, but many schools have an April 15th decision deadline and begin to pull from the waitlist after that. 

Edited by panda1991