What Schools Are You Waiting On!?

7 minutes ago, plume said:

That makes it so hard. No, all of mine are terribly expensive :) I am just not sure what I will do if I get off the waitlist at one school. I will have already paid for the summer term at another school by the time I hear back. And they are on opposite sides of the country so that's interesting!

Oh my, that's incredibly interesting! Haha. If you don't mind me asking, what about the school you're waitlisted at makes it potentially worth it?

6 minutes ago, kenz said:

Oh my, that's incredibly interesting! Haha. If you don't mind me asking, what about the school you're waitlisted at makes it potentially worth it?

Well, I'm 90% sure I'll accept my offer at Emerson (which I am SUPER excited about), but Redlands is the one that might be worth it. Honestly, I think both programs would be an equally good fit, but Redlands is near my parents and a very sick dad, so I'm considering holding out for it. I haven't lived near them in a long time and the time might be right for it! However, Redlands means I would graduate almost an entire year later, so I am still weighing the options. Do you mind telling me your good fit/cheaper options? It's nice to talk to people who are dealing with the same kind of things! The fit vs. $ thing is such a talked about topic on this forum, and I wish there was a clearer answer.

11 minutes ago, plume said:

Well, I'm 90% sure I'll accept my offer at Emerson (which I am SUPER excited about), but Redlands is the one that might be worth it. Honestly, I think both programs would be an equally good fit, but Redlands is near my parents and a very sick dad, so I'm considering holding out for it. I haven't lived near them in a long time and the time might be right for it! However, Redlands means I would graduate almost an entire year later, so I am still weighing the options. Do you mind telling me your good fit/cheaper options? It's nice to talk to people who are dealing with the same kind of things! The fit vs. $ thing is such a talked about topic on this forum, and I wish there was a clearer answer.

If I were in your shoes, I would put down the deposit to Emerson but go to Redlands instead if you get in, even if you lose the deposit at Emerson. Having a sick parent is hard...it's what has kept me close to home. I don't think that's something you will look back at and ever regret. 

6 minutes ago, BeachySpeechy said:

If I were in your shoes, I would put down the deposit to Emerson but go to Redlands instead if you get in, even if you lose the deposit at Emerson. Having a sick parent is hard...it's what has kept me close to home. I don't think that's something you will look back at and ever regret. 

Thank you for your input... really! This has been weighing on my mind. I will just be really disappointed if Redlands doesn't ever become an option because of the circumstances!

And no ugly tears!!! Fingers are crossed that you hear tomorrow!

1 hour ago, plume said:

Thank you for your input... really! This has been weighing on my mind. I will just be really disappointed if Redlands doesn't ever become an option because of the circumstances!

And no ugly tears!!! Fingers are crossed that you hear tomorrow!

I hope it all works out....sending positive vibes your way! 

8 hours ago, BeachySpeechy said:

I agree with this. In hindsight, I am glad that my husband and I didn't move out of state when we had the opportunity to a year and a half ago. We lost an immediate family member very suddenly a few months ago, and if we'd been far away and not had a chance to spend time with them over the last year, I would regret it for the rest of my life.

22 hours ago, mbf said:

Have you heard anything yet? I saw in the results page that some people got a phone call yesterday that they were accepted! I was super nervous for the interview, but Dr. Spencer made that go away instantly. Anxious to hear back now!

Did you get her email? It wasn't in the follow-up email and I wanted to thank her.

11 hours ago, plume said:

That's such a confusing position to be in! What at Redlands would cause you to graduate so late? A delayed graduation would be a real downer, but if I were in your position, I would still try to stay as close to home as possible.

My situation is Alabama and Montevallo being the cheaper, in state options at roughly 24-26k tuition for the whole program. The main thing that concerns me is that I'm hoping to move up north after graduate school and I'm concerned I won't be able to build strong connections out of state, as their externships and placements seem to be mostly local. If it were between the two of them, I would probably go with Alabama because of their research related to pediatric dysphagia and infants in the NICU, which I'm very interested in. The main thing that concerns me about Alabama is their low employment rate. https://cd.ua.edu/welcome/accreditation/caa-accreditation-data/ I would need to inquire about why it's so low compared to Ithaca https://www.ithaca.edu/gradprograms/slpa/outcomedata/, Montevallo http://www.montevallo.edu/arts-sciences/college-of-arts-sciences/departments/communication-science-disorders/student-outcome-data/, and UMass https://www.umass.edu/sphhs/sites/default/files/SLP Program Statistics_17.pdf

I feel that UMass would be the best fit for me because of its location (relatively close proximity to Boston and NYC) and their emphasis on research especially research related to neurogenic disorders. But their tuition, at nearly 80k????? (what the heck) for an out of state student makes it completely out of the question unless they come through with some funding (highly unlikely).

Which leaves me with Ithaca, which I'm very drawn to because of their externship opportunities (many different cities all across the United States, including NYC!! [goals]), and their seemingly very well-rounded program. Also, I'm very attracted to the idea of living in Ithaca in general. I feel like it's a town I would fit in well in, and it seems to have activities and amenities that cater to my interests, more so than any of the other towns I'd be moving to. (Plenty of outdoor activities, decent music scene, farmers markets, WINE TRAILS, etc.) The only drawbacks would be the insane amounts of snow (which I honestly feel I can get over, especially since I'd be going back down south during Ithaca's month-long winter break) and the lack of emphasis on research within their program. Their tuition is around 40k for the program, but there's also the possibility of receiving an assistantship. Plus I don't think 40k tuition would be outrageously unmanageable, but it's still nearly double the cost of my in state options.

Whew. That was long. haha

5 hours ago, kenz said:

That's such a confusing position to be in! What at Redlands would cause you to graduate so late? A delayed graduation would be a real downer, but if I were in your position, I would still try to stay as close to home as possible.

My situation is Alabama and Montevallo being the cheaper, in state options at roughly 24-26k tuition for the whole program. The main thing that concerns me is that I'm hoping to move up north after graduate school and I'm concerned I won't be able to build strong connections out of state, as their externships and placements seem to be mostly local. If it were between the two of them, I would probably go with Alabama because of their research related to pediatric dysphagia and infants in the NICU, which I'm very interested in. The main thing that concerns me about Alabama is their low employment rate. https://cd.ua.edu/welcome/accreditation/caa-accreditation-data/ I would need to inquire about why it's so low compared to Ithaca https://www.ithaca.edu/gradprograms/slpa/outcomedata/, Montevallo http://www.montevallo.edu/arts-sciences/college-of-arts-sciences/departments/communication-science-disorders/student-outcome-data/, and UMass https://www.umass.edu/sphhs/sites/default/files/SLP Program Statistics_17.pdf

I feel that UMass would be the best fit for me because of its location (relatively close proximity to Boston and NYC) and their emphasis on research especially research related to neurogenic disorders. But their tuition, at nearly 80k????? (what the heck) for an out of state student makes it completely out of the question unless they come through with some funding (highly unlikely).

Which leaves me with Ithaca, which I'm very drawn to because of their externship opportunities (many different cities all across the United States, including NYC!! [goals]), and their seemingly very well-rounded program. Also, I'm very attracted to the idea of living in Ithaca in general. I feel like it's a town I would fit in well in, and it seems to have activities and amenities that cater to my interests, more so than any of the other towns I'd be moving to. (Plenty of outdoor activities, decent music scene, farmers markets, WINE TRAILS, etc.) The only drawbacks would be the insane amounts of snow (which I honestly feel I can get over, especially since I'd be going back down south during Ithaca's month-long winter break) and the lack of emphasis on research within their program. Their tuition is around 40k for the program, but there's also the possibility of receiving an assistantship. Plus I don't think 40k tuition would be outrageously unmanageable, but it's still nearly double the cost of my in state options.

Wow!! Well, I know you are not asking for advice and that you are already taking care of it, but I would take the post-grad employment rate very seriously and find out what that's about. I think we like the same things... Ithaca (as a location) has always sounded awesome to me!

I am out-of-field and Redlands doesn't start until spring 2018 for us :( And I would start with the next cohort's grad program the following fall.... So it delays my graduation almost a whole year. Huge drawback in my mind!!! I would be 31 by the time I graduated, which I know is still very young, but it also contributes to my mindset. I do not want to waste any time! And my parents are big supporters of me graduating asap so I'm stumped.

7 hours ago, maurmaur said:

Did you get her email? It wasn't in the follow-up email and I wanted to thank her.

Mmm, I just got th follow up email. But I got a phone call and my email acceptance letter this morning!! It's my first acceptance and my third time applying so I am over the moon. I hope you hear good news :)

24 minutes ago, mbf said:

Mmm, I just got th follow up email. But I got a phone call and my email acceptance letter this morning!! It's my first acceptance and my third time applying so I am over the moon. I hope you hear good news :)

I got an acceptance too! It's also my first acceptance!

9 hours ago, plume said:

Wow!! Well, I know you are not asking for advice and that you are already taking care of it, but I would take the post-grad employment rate very seriously and find out what that's about. I think we like the same things... Ithaca (as a location) has always sounded awesome to me!

I am out-of-field and Redlands doesn't start until spring 2018 for us :( And I would start with the next cohort's grad program the following fall.... So it delays my graduation almost a whole year. Huge drawback in my mind!!! I would be 31 by the time I graduated, which I know is still very young, but it also contributes to my mindset. I do not want to waste any time! And my parents are big supporters of me graduating asap so I'm stumped.

Ahh, okay yeah I can see how that's a huge decision! Maybe try asking yourself if you would regret not going to one school or the other. Is your gut telling you anything?

Finally beginning to (try) and make a decision on which school I will be attending in the fall. If anyone has any strong opinions on Temple, Old Dominion, West Virginia, or West Chester please let me know! It is tough to decide whether to stay closer to family and boyfriend or choose a much cheaper school further away!

I will be declining Adelphi, University of Vermont, and Duquesne today--hope that helps someone on here!

23 hours ago, maurmaur said:

I got an acceptance too! It's also my first acceptance!

Are you waiting on anywhere else?? I'm fairly certain I'll be excepting, regardless of what the last school I'm waiting on says.

48 minutes ago, mbf said:

Are you waiting on anywhere else?? I'm fairly certain I'll be excepting, regardless of what the last school I'm waiting on says.

A couple of places! I will most likely be accepting as well. I was waitlisted at 2 schools that are my top choices. If I end up accepting and then get into one of those, I'd have to then seriously weigh my options.

On 3/31/2017 at 11:01 AM, kenz said:

I'm also really interested in Ithaca. Have you heard anything back about assistantships? I don't think I could afford to go there without it. I love the area and think they have a great program for a lot of different interests though. It's important for me to get a bunch of experience in different areas because I'm not sure where I would want to work in the future. 

4 hours ago, mcspeech said:

I'm also really interested in Ithaca. Have you heard anything back about assistantships? I don't think I could afford to go there without it. I love the area and think they have a great program for a lot of different interests though. It's important for me to get a bunch of experience in different areas because I'm not sure where I would want to work in the future. 

Just chiming in, but I didn't hear back about an assistantship- on the results page someone said they had sent out 11 offers and those people had 2 weeks to decide. When I was emailing the department, they said I was still being considered for one, but I decided I didn't want to keep waiting and holding my seat. So I declined my offer. I really love the location and I think the program is a good one, but like you I just couldn't afford it without a GA position.

2 hours ago, JcSLP said:

Just chiming in, but I didn't hear back about an assistantship- on the results page someone said they had sent out 11 offers and those people had 2 weeks to decide. When I was emailing the department, they said I was still being considered for one, but I decided I didn't want to keep waiting and holding my seat. So I declined my offer. I really love the location and I think the program is a good one, but like you I just couldn't afford it without a GA position.

Right, I'm still hoping to hear back about the assistantship hopefully early next week. Where are you planning on going instead?

11 hours ago, mcspeech said:

They actually emailed me today offering an assistantship and said a letter should be arriving in the mail soon! I will likely be accepting the offer. I had emailed them a couple of days ago asking about assistantships, and they said I was second on the wait list. If you email and ask, I'm sure they will tell you where you are on the list as well! I hope you hear some good news soon!!

1 minute ago, kenz said:

They actually emailed me today offering an assistantship and said a letter should be arriving in the mail soon! I will likely be accepting the offer. I had emailed them a couple of days ago asking about assistantships, and they said I was second on the wait list. If you email and ask, I'm sure they will tell you where you are on the list as well! I hope you hear some good news soon!!

Congratulations!! That must be such a relief to hear back. I'm actually 6th on the waitlist so I feel like it could really go either way. Best of luck to you!

9 minutes ago, mcspeech said:

Congratulations!! That must be such a relief to hear back. I'm actually 6th on the waitlist so I feel like it could really go either way. Best of luck to you!

Thank you! Best of luck to you as well!!

• 10 months later...
On 3/14/2017 at 10:21 PM, speechpath17 said:

That's really good to know, thanks! I got waitlisted at Radford too. Those are the only 2 schools I have heard anything from so far, so I am getting anxious to hear from my other schools. 

hey, i was wondering when you heard back last year about getting off the waitlist at Radford or not? just wondering cause i got the email today that I'm on the waitlist. really anxious haha