MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

On 2/26/2018 at 10:31 PM, Makerak said:

No idea wtf risd is doing... First told us results will be out on the 20th. On the 21st, notified us results will be deoayed to the 26th. Thats today and its almost midnight and no one has heard a peep. 

Seriously they need to get their shit together because this is turning everyone off their program

not to be rude but.. the ppl who are in charge of risd's mfa program and risd's admissions are.... not good

On 2/26/2018 at 7:31 PM, Makerak said:

No idea wtf risd is doing... First told us results will be out on the 20th. On the 21st, notified us results will be deoayed to the 26th. Thats today and its almost midnight and no one has heard a peep. 

Seriously they need to get their shit together because this is turning everyone off their program

OMG this literally made me laugh out louddddd :D;)

32 minutes ago, Makerak said:

sorry but what are "alternates"? Is it akin to being waitlisted???

I was told I was one of the three candidates, and 3 more would be notified the next week. the first three to respond would be given spots. I declined because I didn't want to hold a spot while waiting to hear from other programs.

Edited by oscarmeyer

Anyone else get a "personalized" but very generic sounding email from the head of VCU's MFA Sculpture? Stating that if you roll your application over to the 8 week Summer Program that they can prepare you to get accepted into top schools such as SAIC, RISD, VCU, Columbia? Seems like a money grab, IMO, especially since I was already accepted into some of the other top schools they mentioned.....Anyone else get this email? 

27 minutes ago, GBcreatz said:

Anyone else get a "personalized" but very generic sounding email from the head of VCU's MFA Sculpture? Stating that if you roll your application over to the 8 week Summer Program that they can prepare you to get accepted into top schools such as SAIC, RISD, VCU, Columbia? Seems like a money grab, IMO, especially since I was already accepted into some of the other top schools they mentioned.....Anyone else get this email? 

Um yeah don't do that 

1 hour ago, oscarmeyer said:

I was told I was one of the three candidates, and 3 more would be notified the next week. the first three to respond would be given spots. I declined because I didn't want to hold a spot while waiting to hear from other programs.

Ooh first time I heard that

43 minutes ago, GBcreatz said:

Yep thats an atm machine. Dont do it lol

1 hour ago, Jjjuliannn said:

not to be rude but.. the ppl who are in charge of risd's mfa program and risd's admissions are.... not good

Eh you mean the faculty teaching in the mfa arent good as well? Or just the staff? Curious since i got an offer but havent decided yet

I'm writing interview thank-you notes and am wishing so badly that I'd recorded or taken better notes during the interview - with a panel interview it's SO hard to remember which comments or suggestions are from whom. I was so busy thinking about the comments/questions! And you really don't want to say "hey, I really appreciated X!" when they weren't the one who brought it up. But I've read that group thank-you's are discouraged as lazy or less serious. HMMMMMM. What have you guys done about this?

6 hours ago, Makerak said:

Send them out individually and refernece their name in the letters content. It takes more time but it makes a much better gesture

Is there a way to not make it sound like you are rejecting them but still deciding? Every time I draft thank you letters for interviews it sounds like I'm thanking them and refusing them.

36 minutes ago, SetDec said:

Is there a way to not make it sound like you are rejecting them but still deciding? Every time I draft thank you letters for interviews it sounds like I'm thanking them and refusing them.

I have been adding towards the end: "I was very excited after [our talk/the interview/our discussion] and I am still very interested in your program."

50 minutes ago, SetDec said:

Uhhh what are you writing lol? Shouldnt sound like your refusing them in any way possible. 

Maybe "looking forward to the results" + invite them to contact you if they have any further questions as a means of indicating continued interest. 

Remember all you need to do is the following

1. Thank them specifically

2. Indicate how happy u were talking to them, meeting the program, faculty etc

3. Indicate your continued, increasing interest with contact info

15 minutes ago, Makerak said:

Uhhh what are you writing lol? Shouldnt sound like your refusing them in any way possible. 

Maybe "looking forward to the results" + invite them to contact you if they have any further questions as a means of indicating continued interest. 

Remember all you need to do is the following

1. Thank them specifically

2. Indicate how happy u were talking to them, meeting the program, faculty etc

3. Indicate your continued, increasing interest with contact info

@Makerak and @cklos Thanks! It just sounded a bit brash before. They already informed me of my results of acceptance, I'm just trying to decide what to do....

On 2/27/2018 at 3:11 PM, midtown_magic said:

I literally just got an interview offer from SVA for Photo a few minutes ago.

Have you had your RISD interview yet? If so, would you mind sharing your experience?

My interview is coming up and would love some help and suggestions!

Edited by John0000

20 minutes ago, John0000 said:

Have you had your RISD interview yet? If so, would you mind sharing your experience?

My interview is coming up and would love some help and suggestions!

My interview is tomorrow. At this point I’m just as in the dark as you are. Best of luck to you though! I’m sure you will do just great.