2017 Acceptances

2 hours ago, imogenshakes said:

I just got my official letter from Iowa, so that train should be rolling now! I already had an idea (my mentor knew and was being really vague about it, haha), but it's nice to have specifics. Was offered a TAship and the DGS asked to call me soon to talk more about that, so...yeah. I'm quite excited! It's a MUCH better offer than I was anticipating, so I may not have really narrowed down my decision as much as I thought I had. I mean, their book studies program is INCREDIBLE. 

Congrats!! I know you said letter, but I'm assuming you didn't mean that literally (as in USPS :p) but maybe I'll go obsessively check my mailbox just in case lol! Has your "Admission Decision" box changed on the MyUIowa site?

Has anyone else heard back from Iowa? 

Edited by LurkyLurker

Has anyone on this thread officially decided where they're going yet? Is there going to be a new thread somewhere to post this news? I haven't decided yet, but would like to know if and when anyone has settled on anything.

Congrats on your many acceptances! I was just thinking the same thing -- we should have some sort of "The Wait is Over 2017" board.

22 minutes ago, LurkyLurker said:

Congrats!! I know you said letter, but I'm assuming you didn't mean that literally (as in USPS :p) but maybe I'll go obsessively check my mailbox just in case lol! Has your "Admission Decision" box changed on the MyUIowa site?

Has anyone else heard back from Iowa? 

Mine still says In Progress! I think a couple weeks ago there were a couple posts on the site that said they'd gotten emails from Iowa saying to check the MyUIowa site & their rejections were there....perhaps they work in waves?

40 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Thank you so much! I will send you a message soon with some of my questions, for sure. And congrats to you on having made a decision! I considered applying to ND, they have such a great program in so many areas. I'm so excited for you! You should start a decisions thread or something, so we can all celebrate and figure out who all will be in the same programs!

Thank you, I'm really excited to start there! It's definitely an awesome program, I'm still a little dazed it all worked out! A few of us from the weekend have stayed in touch through GC too which is nice. I'll probably start a decisions thread soon! I was pretty lucky to hear back from all my schools early in the season though, so not sure if too many others will have made up their minds quite yet! But will be good to have it ready to go for everyone.

Hopefully I can be helpful about Iowa info; I've worked with a few of the professors from the book studies area, so hopefully can be a bit there! And then know IC pretty well obviously, though from an undergrad perspective. Great town! 

7 minutes ago, eliza_winter said:

Mine still says In Progress! I think a couple weeks ago there were a couple posts on the site that said they'd gotten emails from Iowa saying to check the MyUIowa site & their rejections were there....perhaps they work in waves?

This is totally off-topic, but funny story about MyUIowa—for almost the entirety of my time there it was known as... ISIS. As you can imagine, a name-change became rather necessary after awhile! 

24 minutes ago, LurkyLurker said:

Thank you! And yeah, you're right...it was a letter sent as an email attachment. Sorry, I should have been more clear! My UIowa portal just says "in progress," unless I'm looking in the wrong place. 

49 minutes ago, CrunchyMamademic said:

Congrats on your many acceptances! I was just thinking the same thing -- we should have some sort of "The Wait is Over 2017" board.

Thanks a bunch! I think someone who has already decided should start that thread...I feel pretty far from making my decision yet. Eesh.

40 minutes ago, eliza_winter said:

Ah gotcha, keeping my fingers crossed that we're still in the running then! 

I remember those on the results page, but I didn't see anything about how they were notified (I thought it was email maybe? But I guess not!)

27 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

Thank you, I'm really excited to start there! It's definitely an awesome program, I'm still a little dazed it all worked out! A few of us from the weekend have stayed in touch through GC too which is nice. I'll probably start a decisions thread soon! I was pretty lucky to hear back from all my schools early in the season though, so not sure if too many others will have made up their minds quite yet! But will be good to have it ready to go for everyone.

Hopefully I can be helpful about Iowa info; I've worked with a few of the professors from the book studies area, so hopefully can be a bit there! And then know IC pretty well obviously, though from an undergrad perspective. Great town! 

This is totally off-topic, but funny story about MyUIowa—for almost the entirety of my time there it was known as... ISIS. As you can imagine, a name-change became rather necessary after awhile! 

I somehow missed this in my haste to post! 

I also heard from most of my top schools really early, but I'm super indecisive, and all of the programs I applied to are very clear fits so I knew going in that I'd be happy at any of them. That's making this so much harder. I do agree, though, and we can always chat about the directions we're leaning and whatnot (or just talk about random things, since that happens on nearly every thread and is just as wonderful). Also, I'm really grateful for the offer to chat, I'm finding that talking to students who have been in and around the departments/programs are the most helpful in narrowing things down! 

Re: ISIS...yeah. I can see why that needed to happen. Yikes. How long did it take them to decide they needed to change it? haha 

4 hours ago, eatthatbee said:

And now I sit nervously while refreshing my email.

Good luck! I will say, it was kind of a weird email. The attachment was mostly like "you got funding, here's some vague info, if you accept we'll give you many more details." haha Not much about the program as a whole or anything. I hope you get some good news from them! 

I somehow missed this in my haste to post! 

I also heard from most of my top schools really early, but I'm super indecisive, and all of the programs I applied to are very clear fits so I knew going in that I'd be happy at any of them. That's making this so much harder. I do agree, though, and we can always chat about the directions we're leaning and whatnot (or just talk about random things, since that happens on nearly every thread and is just as wonderful). Also, I'm really grateful for the offer to chat, I'm finding that talking to students who have been in and around the departments/programs are the most helpful in narrowing things down! 

Re: ISIS...yeah. I can see why that needed to happen. Yikes. How long did it take them to decide they needed to change it? haha 

Just started the thread! :) Hopefully it'll be a good space for people to share their exciting choices and help each other mull over their options too! 

You've definitely got a tough choice ahead of you! Some awesome programs as options for sure. You said you were leaning to the California options before, yeah? Definitely awesome programs! And can't beat the location of somewhere like UCSB. My best friend's there for her visit now and making me insanely jealous with a bunch of snapchats of the ocean and mountains haha. And of course, anytime! Happy to help if I can! 

It just was changed from ISIS last year if I remember right, maybe last summer. We were all a little bummed out honestly, we'd gotten so used to the name! They changed the interface too and most of us preferred the old one, so that just added to the joke haha 

7 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Am I the only person who applied to University of Washington and University of Oregon? Rejection and inclination have both pretty much made up my mind, but I don't think I've seen anyone else who even applied there.  

Oregon is just about the last school I am really waiting for! The other 4 schools that I applied to were great, but not perfect fits. I was also considering Washington, but their ecocritics do not really work in my area. If I go there, I am going to have to get my Earthquake gear on!

It's going to be a tough choice for me between Pitt, Boulder, MSU, and Oregon if I get accepted there.

Edited by KikiDelivery

1 hour ago, Mippipopolous said:

Just started the thread! :) Hopefully it'll be a good space for people to share their exciting choices and help each other mull over their options too! 

You've definitely got a tough choice ahead of you! Some awesome programs as options for sure. You said you were leaning to the California options before, yeah? Definitely awesome programs! And can't beat the location of somewhere like UCSB. My best friend's there for her visit now and making me insanely jealous with a bunch of snapchats of the ocean and mountains haha. And of course, anytime! Happy to help if I can! 

Hooray! I'm excited to hear where we all end up ? 

Yeah, I'm totally overwhelmed with the decision at the moment, but definitely leaning toward Cali. There are a lot of moving parts, but I think Davis or SB would both be amazing fits for different reasons, so I'm hoping visits clear things up. I also really do love the looks of Iowa. Gahhh

Hooray! I'm excited to hear where we all end up ? 

Yeah, I'm totally overwhelmed with the decision at the moment, but definitely leaning toward Cali. There are a lot of moving parts, but I think Davis or SB would both be amazing fits for different reasons, so I'm hoping visits clear things up. I also really do love the looks of Iowa. Gahhh

Congrats on your recent acceptance! I've decided to bust ass for the next couple of weeks and get everything done so that I can go to UCSB's Open House on the 10th after all-- I'm in the process of deciding between UCSB and IU Bloomington, and it's really important for me to get as much data as possible. Cali is much better location-wise, but Indiana has its perks too--lol, I'll probably be posting a new thread pretty soon begging for help from you guys in making the decision :) 

If you're going to be there too, let's meet up IRL and say hello!

Edited by ratanegra19

Hey guys!

there is a poster who said they applied for a PhD in English at Cornell, but their application was forwarded to Medieval Studies.

does this happen usually? or is only Cornell?

39 minutes ago, udeben said:

Hi all,

Anyone applied to university of Ottawa, Phd program in computer science for fall 2017?

If yes, when did you apply? Have you heard any news from them?

Thank you.

hey @udeben

this thread is only for acceptances in Literature, Rhetoric and Composition. none of us here have answers, i am afraid!

you will find what you're looking in the Computer Science thread here http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/33-computer-science/

best of luck, and keep the faith!

6 hours ago, ratanegra19 said:

Congrats on your recent acceptance! I've decided to bust ass for the next couple of weeks and get everything done so that I can go to UCSB's Open House on the 10th after all-- I'm in the process of deciding between UCSB and IU Bloomington, and it's really important for me to get as much data as possible. Cali is much better location-wise, but Indiana has its perks too--lol, I'll probably be posting a new thread pretty soon begging for help from you guys in making the decision :) 

If you're going to be there too, let's meet up IRL and say hello!

Thank you!! And Yay! I'm glad you're going to make it out. My partner and I will both be there. We should definitely meet up! If that's where we both end up, it would be nice to already have a friend ?

Edited by imogenshakes