Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

I am currently in the process of declining my offer (including a TAship) at Temple University. I hope this means good news for another Temple applicant! 

Edit: I had no idea how hard it would be for me to send that email! Even though I know that I wouldn’t pick Temple over my other options it felt awful letting them go. I feel like I selected each program with such care and put so much into every application that it’s just terribly difficult to say “no.” Anybody else feel this way?

The only thing that got me to hit send was the fact that the sooner I declined the sooner someone else got good news. ?

Edited by clinamen

Husband officially declined his spot in the University of Delaware's PhD. Hopefully that helps someone on the waitlist! It's such a wonderful program, and everyone has been incredibly kind and informative.

17 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Husband officially declined his spot in the University of Delaware's PhD. 

I know he's already officially accepted Harvard's offer, but seeing all these declination posts is exciting in its own way. The momentum is no joke!

I'm hoping to be closer to this stage soon; must feel nice!

6 hours ago, EspritHabile said:

I know he's already officially accepted Harvard's offer, but seeing all these declination posts is exciting in its own way. The momentum is no joke!

I'm hoping to be closer to this stage soon; must feel nice!

It is absolutely exciting. It has finally started to settle in that this is really happening, and we are pumped. I am thankful that in the end, our decision was a pretty easy one. :) Keep up updated on your process!

15 hours ago, krd_BME said:

I'm currently wait listed at two schools (BU and Mayo Clinic), should I follow up in anyway or just wait it out? It's for PhD in Biomedical Engineering. 

Follow up! No harm in that, I think it’s the standard. But you may want to ask people in your field since this is the lit forum :) 

22 hours ago, katie64 said:

@HopefulRhetorician Did your MA offer to UTK come with a TAship? I've been accepted into the MA program but waitlisted for a TAship. 

It did! I haven't officially declined yet, but I'm going to within the next few days. Hope it helps you out!

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some information on UW. I have received news that I am the top-ranked applicant for my field and that there is a good chance I'll receive an offer of admission eventually. My only hang up is that UW is the only school I applied to that has admitted applicants without funding. I have emailed the DGS asking about funding but have yet to hear back, so I'm wondering if anyone on here has heard of or knows of any applicants who were admitted off the waitlist and also received a TAship. I don't want to get my hopes up if funding is a long shot. 

Now, for a question I sort of already know the answer to: is it obnoxious to email OSU about my status on the waitlist, even though they said in their email that they expect to have answers in late March? Like everyone else on waitlists, I'm anxious to just hear something.  

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

29 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Now, for a question I sort of already know the answer to: is it obnoxious to email OSU about my status on the waitlist, even though they said in their email that they expect to have answers in late March? Like everyone else on waitlists, I'm anxious to just hear something.  

I wouldn't say obnoxious, but I would say it might be a tad unnecessary. Could you compromise with a letter stating your continued interest? That way you are still in contact with them, and I'd like to imagine it helps put your application in a more favorable light. (Plus it's always fun to close-read their responses :P

Received an email that I was waitlisted for funding at Temple. If anyone received a funding offer and knows they won't be accepting it, would very much appreciate you letting them know!

8 minutes ago, darcyt said:

Received an email that I was waitlisted for funding at Temple. If anyone received a funding offer and knows they won't be accepting it, would very much appreciate you letting them know!

I declined my funded offer at Temple on Wednesday -- hope this means good news for you! :) 

1 hour ago, Conradical said:

I wouldn't say obnoxious, but I would say it might be a tad unnecessary. Could you compromise with a letter stating your continued interest? That way you are still in contact with them, and I'd like to imagine it helps put your application in a more favorable light. (Plus it's always fun to close-read their responses :P

I e-mailed both of my waitlists a few days ago just to ask where I was on each waitlist. Both of the e-mails I got back were very kind and explained that the majority of their waitlist movement happens in late March/early April, so I think those of us waiting will have to sit tight for at least a few more weeks.  

I received an email this morning from UNC Chapel Hill to inform me I was admitted off of the waitlist! This is one of my top choices and I could not be more thrilled. It also means I’ll be turning down the waitlist at IU Bloomington, so hopefully someone moves up in the ranks there! 

6 minutes ago, hopeleslie said:

I received an email this morning from UNC Chapel Hill to inform me I was admitted off of the waitlist! This is one of my top choices and I could not be more thrilled. It also means I’ll be turning down the waitlist at IU Bloomington, so hopefully someone moves up in the ranks there! 

Excellent! Congrats! Maybe we'll meet at the open house. :)

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

On 3/9/2018 at 4:32 PM, hopeleslie said:

Congratulations!!

So I am confused. I wrote to BU Romances Studies department to know if the had already send admissions for their Ph.D program (to see if I should give up hope) and I got a mail from the administrative assistant telling me that my application was still on consideration and asking me to be patient and wait a little more for an answer. I know that BU has already send admission letters to other people for the same program I applied to. Does this means I am on a internal waiting list? Should I keep hope? I have a very good offer from BCollege, so in any case I am going to Boston on the fall, but I don't what to think. BU was my top choice from the beginning so I can't help feeling really anxious.

Anyone else get an email from Oregon State about movement on the waitlist?

EDIT: (an update) I emailed Miami (OH) and Washington State (MA programs) about application statuses, since I'm getting pressure from another school to commit early. Miami has responded that I'm on a waitlist, and my official letter was going to send today (so if anybody else is waiting to hear about Miami's rhet/comp MA, you may hear back soon).

Edited by marisawhy

Does anyone have news about potential WUSTL movements, per chance? That waitlist turning in my favor would put a glorious end to this admission cycle. 

As ever, best luck to others waiting it out for their top programs!

Edited by ModernMimetic