Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

2 hours ago, FiguresIII said:

@trytostay Haven't gotten any invitations, yet, no! But we'll see. And @thismortalcoil is probably right, if I'm in the area at the right time I could potentially visit. I'll check with the DGS.

I would just ask if you can attend visit days and if there is funding for it. I’ve heard of this being done at some programs for waitlisted folks. If you’re waitlisted then they would like to have you, and I’d think they’d want to give you the info you need to be able to make a decision in their favor if you end up getting in. Either way, good luck and congrats!

@The Wordsworthiancongrats to you too! I haven’t heard anything from UConn but I thought their program was great. Hope an acceptance comes through for you soon!

Edited by kendalldinniene

7 hours ago, FiguresIII said:

Sooo... waitlist at Princeton Comp Lit!

I have two waitlist positions now, not sure how to feel about them. On the one hand, they're programs that on paper I'd be thrilled to attend. On the other, how can you make a decision on a school / department you haven't even been able to visit? How do other waitlisters think about this?

TL;DR: If you would be able to make it to out to the campus, definitely email the DGS to ask about visiting.

I am waitlisted at Johns Hopkins and was asking myself exactly the same question, and since I figured I wasn't qualified to answer it, haha, I just decided to send a polite email to JH's DGS. Got an almost immediate reply, super friendly, saying that while they wouldn't be able to accommodate me for their official visit dates, I would be more than welcome to visit whenever would work for me (on my own dime, obviously). They suggested the best dates to visit, and their department staff is even coordinating with me to set meetings with the faculty I am interested in working with. I'm flying out there next week, and I'm super excited knowing that should this timeline prove to be the one where I actually end up having a choice to make, I'll be prepared.

35 minutes ago, dilby said:

as my app season moves in the direction of an almost shutout, I'll be peeping this thread to see if any Rice admits decide to go elsewhere ?

I don't think I'll be able to help you, sorry, but I'll hope that we're cohort-mates! Or that something else equally great works out for you!

13 minutes ago, dangermouse said:

waitlisted at UNC :^) i figured i'd been rejected when i didn't hear earlier but it seems they're still rolling them out!

Congratulations! That's awesome! I also just received my UNC waitlist letter, and I couldn't be more surprised or excited!

9 minutes ago, adornianjazz said:

Congratulations! That's awesome! I also just received my UNC waitlist letter, and I couldn't be more surprised or excited!

i feel you! the email was so friendly & encouraging as well, i feel Very Good. best of luck to you !!

3 hours ago, dilby said:

Got a really nice email inviting me to the Rice visit weekend while they wait to see who will accept their offers :) so if any of you all will be there, it'll be awesome to meet you!

That’s so awesome, enjoy it! I have a good feeling about your prospects :)

15 hours ago, dilby said:

Got a really nice email inviting me to the Rice visit weekend while they wait to see who will accept their offers :) so if any of you all will be there, it'll be awesome to meet you!

I’ll be there!! Looking forward to meeting you! 

So, I'm feeling a little odd about attending Columbia's students day while still being on the waitlist. Has anyone gone to one of these before? Is your waitlist status frequently brought up? I'm not embarrassed by it, I just wonder if faculty/students will be interested in conversations with me once they find out I'm on the waitlist! 

4 minutes ago, trytostay said:

So, I'm feeling a little odd about attending Columbia's students day while still being on the waitlist. Has anyone gone to one of these before? Is your waitlist status frequently brought up? I'm not embarrassed by it, I just wonder if faculty/students will be interested in conversations with me once they find out I'm on the waitlist! 

I’m currently visiting JH on my own, and Chapel Hill invited me to attend their campus visit as a waitlister. I wouldn’t feel odd about it. At least some of those students are most likely leaning towards another school anyways, and my experience with the faculty at JH has so far been only positive. 

Edited by adornianjazz

Just now, adornianjazz said:

I’m currently visiting JH on my own, and Chapel Hill invited me to attend their campus visit as a waitlisted. I wouldn’t feel odd about it. At least some of those students are most likely leaning towards another school anyways, and my experience with the faculty at JH has so far been only positive. 

Thanks! Can I ask how frequently it's been mentioned? Just curious. 

Also, congrats on your acceptances + waitlists, both at such amazing programs! You should be really proud of yourself!!

1 minute ago, trytostay said:

Haven't attended, but one of my mentors mentioned he has seen up to half of an incoming cohort come in off the waitlist so there wasn't any stigma (as far as the profs are concerned). I wouldn't be too worried. 

1 minute ago, trytostay said:

Thanks! Can I ask how frequently it's been mentioned? Just curious. 

Also, congrats on your acceptances + waitlists, both at such amazing programs! You should be really proud of yourself!!

Thank you! And you too! ? I do feel proud of this, even if in the end I don’t make it off any of the waitlists; it’s been a long, arduous journey, as I’m sure it has been for you too. As for your question, assuming you mean how much have the program preferences of the accepted students been mentioned, the answer is that I’m actually here alone. JH wasn’t able to accommodate me at their official visit, so they set me up with a solo experience, as it were (which was *super* nice of them). So I can’t be of much help on that front, sorry. Or did I misunderstand your question...?

Just now, adornianjazz said:

Thank you! And you too! ? I do feel proud of this, even if in the end I don’t make it off any of the waitlists; it’s been a long, arduous journey, as I’m sure it has been for you too. As for your question, assuming you mean how much have the program preferences of the accepted students been mentioned, the answer is that I’m actually here alone. JH wasn’t able to accommodate me at their official visit, so they set me up with a solo experience, as it were (which was *super* nice of them). So I can’t be of much help on that front, sorry. Or did I misunderstand your question...?

No, that's correct! Thank you :)

And @sugilite thanks for that as well. I'll keep that in mind!

Just now, sugilite said:

Congrats to the person who just got a surprise UPenn waitlist!! 

Thank you! That's me.

I thought for sure UPenn was an IR but emailed the grad coordinator bc I felt like the $90 app fee should entitle me to the dignity of a proper rejection. I have no info about the waitlist having not received Prof Eng's original email. But hopefully something soon.