Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

On 3/22/2019 at 8:16 AM, amphilanthus said:

finally got the UVA waitlisted email too! got very excited (and terrified) to see an update but nothing new. glad that it’s at least official now. 

I saw the email and was immediately hopeful that the purgatory was over in some way, but nope, just official now. 

So I went to the BU visit on Friday, and I did reiterate my interest that they are my top choice while I was there. However, there's quite a few people on the waitlist and there were a few people with similar interests to mine. Should I email this week to follow up and reassure them that this was my top choice and I would immediately accept if offered a spot? I'm really stressed about moving off the waitlist and don't want to hurt my chances.

1 hour ago, cassidyaxx said:

So I went to the BU visit on Friday, and I did reiterate my interest that they are my top choice while I was there. However, there's quite a few people on the waitlist and there were a few people with similar interests to mine. Should I email this week to follow up and reassure them that this was my top choice and I would immediately accept if offered a spot? I'm really stressed about moving off the waitlist and don't want to hurt my chances.

I think emailing to follow up is a good idea. Similar to emailing after an interview. Just to let them know that you haven't changed your mind after the visit!

On 3/23/2019 at 11:28 PM, illcounsel said:

Declined Saint Louis University MA (funded). I know they mentioned that there should be some pretty immediate waitlist movement (I assume the beginning of the week).

I have basically been devolving into nothing more than a semi-functioning ball of anxiety since you posted this, as I'm on the waitlist as an early modernist, and was told I was high on the waitlist. 

Just call me pleaaaaassseeee.  Or send an email.  Hey, I'll even take a snapchat at this point.  

18 minutes ago, dntblnk11 said:

I have basically been devolving into nothing more than a semi-functioning ball of anxiety since you posted this, as I'm on the waitlist as an early modernist, and was told I was high on the waitlist. 

Just call me pleaaaaassseeee.  Or send an email.  Hey, I'll even take a snapchat at this point.  

I heard they will be sliding into instagram dms !!!! (For real though, I hope they choose you!! Their early modern faculty is wonderful and a definite strength in the department)

1 hour ago, illcounsel said:

I heard they will be sliding into instagram dms !!!! (For real though, I hope they choose you!! Their early modern faculty is wonderful and a definite strength in the department)

How long before there is just some kind of grad school Tinder where you super like all your fave schools and they laugh with their friends at you as they swipe a hard left?

10 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

How long before there is just some kind of grad school Tinder where you super like all your fave schools and they laugh with their friends at you as they swipe a hard left?

I'd love and be so afraid of this happening. This is making me think of an academic Tinder ngl. (journal submissions Tinder? watch editorial boards swipe left on article submissions real quick)

Imagining the volume of swipe lefts graduate committees would do under this system and I just unleashed the saddest laugh.

I was just accepted off of UNC Chapel Hill’s waitlist! I won’t be making any final decisions until after I complete my campus visits, as I want to make as fully-informed of a decision as possible, but if any Americanists out there are on the University of Oregon’s waitlist, there is now a chance that my slot will be opening within the next couple weeks. 

1 hour ago, grizzlybers said:

I was accepted off of UNC's wait list a couple of days ago!  I will likely be accepting their offer and taking myself off of Tufts, UConn, and UMD wait lists in the next week or so.

Congratulations!! And thank you thank you! I'm on UConn's waitlist and it's my top choice. You wouldn't happen to be Rhet/Comp, would you?

4 hours ago, StamfordCat said:

Congratulations!! And thank you thank you! I'm on UConn's waitlist and it's my top choice. You wouldn't happen to be Rhet/Comp, would you?

Unfortunately not, I'm sorry about that.  Crossing my fingers for you on movement though!