2019 Canadian SLP Thread

3 hours ago, slpbc said:

Hey everyone - I've decided to accept at the U of A but I am struggling a bit with housing because I currently live in Vancouver and have never been to Edmonton. I am looking for apartment buildings that are close (i.e. 10-15 minute walk) to campus and/or transit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) 

Im also planning to accept at UofA. What’s your budget/price range for apartments? I may not be able to suggest a specific building but there are definitely nicer areas for students! The century park/heritage area on the south side is where I live in a house with roommates and it’s nice because I can just jump on the train to school. Pretty much anywhere else along the LRT route is convenient too, but some neighbourhoods are relatively more sketchy just like in any city. 

Of course I’m sure right by campus would be ideal and there are usually many options available in that area. Friends of mine have had success using rentfaster.ca here in Edmonton.

I’ve lived here my whole life so let me know if you have any other questions too! :)

Is Western the only program that does not release information about your position on the waitlist/how long the waitlist is? I'm interested to know, even though they do not provide this information. Perhaps someone knows from previous years or has a little more information about this than I do! Anything would help!

I'm trying to stay positive about being waitlisted but I feel like I shouldn't get my hopes up since I doubt that the waitlist is short...

3 hours ago, 19SPEECHIE said:

Is Western the only program that does not release information about your position on the waitlist/how long the waitlist is? I'm interested to know, even though they do not provide this information. Perhaps someone knows from previous years or has a little more information about this than I do! Anything would help!

I'm trying to stay positive about being waitlisted but I feel like I shouldn't get my hopes up since I doubt that the waitlist is short...

I'm not 100% if I'm remembering this right, but I think I saw in past forums before that if you call Western they at least tell you a rough estimate of your position on the waitlist (i.e. top, middle, or bottom 1/3), so it may not hurt to give them a call to see. That being said, it seems like a fair amount of people have declined spots at Western for other schools so you do still have a chance!! Best of luck! ?

Edited by SLPDreamer_96

Those of you with offers from U of A (ie a message from Vicki about being a successful applicant)  -- your status is still "under review" with the official letter still outstanding, right? I'm assuming we're all in the same boat in that regard but a few people have said things about accepting U of A offers so I thought I'd ask, do you mean you intend to/emailed about it or if you have real admissions letters already

5 hours ago, SLPseagull said:

Those of you with offers from U of A (ie a message from Vicki about being a successful applicant)  -- your status is still "under review" with the official letter still outstanding, right? I'm assuming we're all in the same boat in that regard but a few people have said things about accepting U of A offers so I thought I'd ask, do you mean you intend to/emailed about it or if you have real admissions letters already

My portal still says "under review"! I emailed asking when we would expect to receive our official offers and was told that she's hoping for this week! 

6 hours ago, SLPseagull said:

I received my official letter in my portal yesterday. It changes from under review to conditioned acceptance where you can accept or decline their offer -yours is very likely coming very soon!! 

Waitlisted at UBC on Thursday, got an offer on Monday! I'm ecstatic! I have accepted, which will open up spots at Toronto and Western, as well as a spot on the waitlist at UAlberta and Dalhousie. (also posted on declining offers thread).  Good luck to you all and whoever is also attending UBC, see you soon! ?

18 hours ago, SpeechM said:

Im also planning to accept at UofA. What’s your budget/price range for apartments? I may not be able to suggest a specific building but there are definitely nicer areas for students! The century park/heritage area on the south side is where I live in a house with roommates and it’s nice because I can just jump on the train to school. Pretty much anywhere else along the LRT route is convenient too, but some neighbourhoods are relatively more sketchy just like in any city. 

Of course I’m sure right by campus would be ideal and there are usually many options available in that area. Friends of mine have had success using rentfaster.ca here in Edmonton.

I’ve lived here my whole life so let me know if you have any other questions too! :)

Thank you so much for your reply!! I will PM you :) 

49 minutes ago, anonymous64 said:

To those who got accepted to UBC already, were your pre-reqs already completed prior to submitting your application? 

Hey, I was accepted at UBC and I did have all the prereqs done ahead of time. I know some schools prefer applicants who have the prereqs completed (UofA comes to mind), but I haven't heard anything about UBC using that as a deciding factor- I could very well be wrong, though! On their website they say:

Demonstrating that you will complete all the prerequisites prior to entry in September (i.e., you may be currently registered for some prerequisites or planning to take some over the summer) will considerably enhance your chances of being offered admission to the M.Sc. program.  Applicants should also note that if admission is offered on the basis of coursework not yet completed, such offers may be made contingent on completion of these courses.

3 hours ago, maroo7 said:

Hey, I was accepted at UBC and I did have all the prereqs done ahead of time. I know some schools prefer applicants who have the prereqs completed (UofA comes to mind), but I haven't heard anything about UBC using that as a deciding factor- I could very well be wrong, though! On their website they say:

Demonstrating that you will complete all the prerequisites prior to entry in September (i.e., you may be currently registered for some prerequisites or planning to take some over the summer) will considerably enhance your chances of being offered admission to the M.Sc. program.  Applicants should also note that if admission is offered on the basis of coursework not yet completed, such offers may be made contingent on completion of these courses.

I didn't! I got accepted to UBC last week, and I'm still taking 2 prerequisites (AUDI 403 and LING 451 - acquisition phonology) so my acceptance is conditional on me finishing those two up and sending along documentation. 

Just accepted my official offer from U of A! I still have to complete the Indigenous Canada MOOC course - does anyone have any information on this? Just wondering if it is completed on your own time/how demanding it is & whether or not it is a graded course or just a certification. 

Thanks in advance!!

42 minutes ago, sm2572 said:

Just accepted my official offer from U of A! I still have to complete the Indigenous Canada MOOC course - does anyone have any information on this? Just wondering if it is completed on your own time/how demanding it is & whether or not it is a graded course or just a certification. 

Thanks in advance!!

Hey! The UofA MOOC is really easy. 60 dollars, and you can do it on the coursera website or from the phone app. It’s 12 weeks long, but you can work ahead easily, and it’s just a series of videos with multiple choice questions at the end of the unit. As a bonus, you can redo the quiz if you don’t do great the first time. 

8 hours ago, SaskSpeechie said:

Waitlisted at UBC on Thursday, got an offer on Monday! I'm ecstatic! I have accepted, which will open up spots at Toronto and Western, as well as a spot on the waitlist at UAlberta and Dalhousie. (also posted on declining offers thread).  Good luck to you all and whoever is also attending UBC, see you soon! ?

Did they email you with the offer? Just curious because I am on the waitlist as well and am dying from the wait!

Just thought I would share this post in the correct forum:

On 4/6/2019 at 2:56 PM,  esslepea said: 

“Hello everyone! I'd love it if you would try to talk me OUT of the school(s) that you are hoping to receive offers from. I have offers from  U of A, Western, and U of T and each program has different aspects that really appeal to me, but it's hard to compare a list of positives. Why not try approaching it from the other side then? I think dealbreakers can be easier to recognize than "dealmakers".

As an example of what I'm getting at, to one person, Toronto is expensive but SO WORTH IT to be in a big city with so much going on . To another, paying so much money just to have a life of crowds and commuting and concrete and constant noise sounds AWFUL. Both takes are equally honest/genuine, but people are going to differ a lot in which perspective resonates with them.

So without further ado, please share why your preferred school might NOT be a good fit for someone else. You never know what might make someone realize they wouldn't be as happy in one program or city as they could be somewhere else, and if they turn down their offer someone will be drawn from the waiting list you're on. It's win-win! “

For myself personally, one of the negatives of UofA is the city itself as well as the weather there. (This is just my opinion also! I know plenty of people who love Edmonton or that this is not an issue for them.) While I know they have a great program, I know it would be hard for myself if I’m not happy with where I live. I also just don’t see myself in Alberta, that’s not where I want to work after I graduate so I’m choosing to go to a university that is closer to where I hope to end up working, so that I can make more local connections. 

11 hours ago, slp876 said:

Hey all, I will be attending U of A in the Fall, and I have a question - is there a Facebook group for U of A 2021 SLPers? I have seen in the past there is usually a group made and would love to join if there is one!

Omg I would LOVE this too! I’m attending U of A as well in Fall :)

16 hours ago, slphopeful2448 said:

Did they email you with the offer? Just curious because I am on the waitlist as well and am dying from the wait!

Yes, it was through email!

22 hours ago, anonymous64 said:

To those who got accepted to UBC already, were your pre-reqs already completed prior to submitting your application? 

My pre-reqs are not complete yet. I am finishing up LING 311 and AUDI 403 at UBC this semester and I am taking a course (LING 360 from TWU) this summer to fill my Syntax requirement, so my acceptance is also conditional that I "successfully complete" these courses.  

Is there anyone who has already graduated and finished all the prereqs for UofT that got an acceptance from UofT? If so, can you please message me. I've actually already graduated and finished all the prereqs, but in my letter of admission it said that having my degree conferred with a minimum of a B is outstanding (both of which things I have already achieved). So, I was wondering if people similar to me also have this problem? 

1 minute ago, peachyspeachie said:

Is there anyone who has already graduated and finished all the prereqs for UofT that got an acceptance from UofT? If so, can you please message me. I've actually already graduated and finished all the prereqs, but in my letter of admission it said that having my degree conferred with a minimum of a B is outstanding (both of which things I have already achieved). So, I was wondering if people similar to me also have this problem? 

It's possible they just have a standard letter of admission and that's why that condition is being stated even though you've already achieved that?