What are people's experiences being waitlisted?

Waitlistedbuthopeful

2 minutes ago, Waitlistedbuthopeful said:

Has anyone listened to interesting/binge-worthy podcasts recently?  Radiolab is one of my go-to's but it's been a little dull lately....

Have you listened to the series 'S-Town'? It is AMAZING imo, highly recommend. It's one of those podcasts that you sign yourself up for, don't really know what to expect, and get blown away by how raw the story is. 

Edited by Waiting272

Just now, psyche132 said:

When do people typically decide where they will attend? I am waitlisted at my top school and am curious to know when I might find out if I am in. 

If people are following proper etiquette, they will hold no more than 2 offers at a time (and even then they should be making a decision between those two ASAP). It seems like the vast majority of interviews will be wrapping up before March, so I would hope that most people who have multiple offers would be able to make a decision by early-mid March! However, there's always hope until April 15. 

I am in a very strange situation and am unsure of how to process it. I have seemed to be fairly successful in landing interviews (4/8), but after three of my interviews I have been waitlisted as a first alternate. I know that on one hand, this is really something to be proud of, and I know that each person that actually got in has a chance of declining the offer. Multiply that by three, and I know that there is still a possibility that I will be admitted. On the other hand, it's hard not to be devastated that I don't have any concrete offers yet and to wonder if there was something I was doing wrong the whole time (nothing comes to mind, and all professors who I have corresponded with after the fact have said they would be happy to take me if the first declines). It's just nice to write this all out and know that I'm not alone in this situation, but if anyone has any advice or comments on what my fate may be, they would be appreciated. :) Best of luck to all of you, I hope everyone gets some positive news soon.

10 minutes ago, rainydaychai said:

I am in a very strange situation and am unsure of how to process it. I have seemed to be fairly successful in landing interviews (4/8), but after three of my interviews I have been waitlisted as a first alternate. I know that on one hand, this is really something to be proud of, and I know that each person that actually got in has a chance of declining the offer. Multiply that by three, and I know that there is still a possibility that I will be admitted. On the other hand, it's hard not to be devastated that I don't have any concrete offers yet and to wonder if there was something I was doing wrong the whole time (nothing comes to mind, and all professors who I have corresponded with after the fact have said they would be happy to take me if the first declines). It's just nice to write this all out and know that I'm not alone in this situation, but if anyone has any advice or comments on what my fate may be, they would be appreciated. :) Best of luck to all of you, I hope everyone gets some positive news soon.

I'm really sorry to hear this- I am sure that you are a very strong applicant so don't lose hope. This process is honestly a crapshoot and I think comes down to a lot of random variables that  have no bearing on you as a person. I was at UNL's weekend and thought every applicant I met was very nice, intelligent, and successful so I'm sure that you will succeed no matter where your path takes you. My mom always tells me that everything happens for a reason and the place you end up, wherever that may be, is the place that is meant for you to be. I am also waiting to hear back about an acceptance from UNL and I understand how stressful and anxiety provoking it is. I think it shows that you are a very strong applicant that you are first alternate for not one but 3 schools. It is very likely that at one of those places, someone will decline admission. 

• 2 weeks later...

Question for fellow waitlistees: how have you communicated with the program/DCT after being informed of your status?  

After I received my notice, I exchanged a few emails with the DCT (asking questions and indicating that this program is my top choice and I would be thrilled to accept, if an offer can be made). This was all in the first few days after I was notified of my status.  About three weeks have now passed with no contact, and I'm wondering if I should check in at all to re-iterate my interest? I'm hesitant though, as I'm not sure if this is necessary and I certainly don't want to pester them.

How are others playing it?

1 minute ago, Waitlistedbuthopeful said:

Question for fellow waitlistees: how have you communicated with the program/DCT after being informed of your status?  

After I received my notice, I exchanged a few emails with the DCT (asking questions and indicating that this program is my top choice and I would be thrilled to accept, if an offer can be made). This was all in the first few days after I was notified of my status.  About three weeks have now passed with no contact, and I'm wondering if I should check in at all to re-iterate my interest? I'm hesitant though, as I'm not sure if this is necessary and I certainly don't want to pester them.

How are others playing it?

there's no point reaching out unless something has changed (i.e. you get an offer elsewhere). you already expressed your interest so just be patient. the dct or your poi will reach out to you if there is an update.

also, a lot of people from waitlists eventually get offers. so, be patient, pray and be hopeful ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A month 'till April 15th!  Any other waitlisters freaking out a little?  I'm hoping the best for us all!  And hopefully we'll start to see more waitlist movement with the deadline approaching, and people accepting and declining offers. 

1 hour ago, clinical_psych_hopeful said:

A month 'till April 15th!  Any other waitlisters freaking out a little?  I'm hoping the best for us all!  And hopefully we'll start to see more waitlist movement with the deadline approaching, and people accepting and declining offers. 

Joining you in freaking out: Ahhhh! We'll get through this!

It’s only a little window, but UPenn, a school I’ve been eyeing that generally ranked in the top 5 or 10 in practically every area, reports on their website that it tends to admit 15-20 students a year to fill an entering class of 8-12. The math works out to suggest that yield rates reliably land between 40% (20 offers for 8 spots) and 80% (15 offers for 12 spots), and they're presumably careful not to extend more offers than what they’re sure they can carry. This suggests a substantial role for the waitlist even at the most influential and well-funded programs.

Edited by paraent

Can't help but uselessly wonder if yield rates are likely to be higher or lower for initial admission offers compared to waitlist admission offers? The former (initial admits are more likely to yield than waitlisted admits) would suggest poorer odds for people on waitlists, because a higher share of deflation in mean yield rate would be from waitlisted people turning down offers. The latter (initial admits less likely to yield than waitlisted admits) would mean the opposite.

On the one hand, if someone gets an offer right off the bat, that means the professor considers them an especially good match with their goals for their lab and overall "style" and that probably means the person admitted is more likely to feel the same. On the other hand, an applicant who gets an off-the-bat offer at one spot is more likely to also be getting offers at other locations and so has more room to turn down offers compared to waitlisted applicants. Waitlisters are likely poorer matches with the department in question but are also probably more likely to have fewer other options. Not necessarily very many fewer, though - they were waitlisted rather than rejected, after all. 

Guess I'll call it even and go do something useful with my time instead of obsessing over my waitlist spot haha

Edited by paraent

1 hour ago, paraent said:

Can't help but uselessly wonder if yield rates are likely to be higher or lower for initial admission offers compared to waitlist admission offers? The former (initial admits are more likely to yield than waitlisted admits) would suggest poorer odds for people on waitlists, because a higher share of deflation in mean yield rate would be from waitlisted people turning down offers. The latter (initial admits less likely to yield than waitlisted admits) would mean the opposite.

On the one hand, if someone gets an offer right off the bat, that means the professor considers them an especially good match with their goals for their lab and overall "style" and that probably means the person admitted is more likely to feel the same. On the other hand, an applicant who gets an off-the-bat offer at one spot is more likely to also be getting offers at other locations and so has more room to turn down offers compared to waitlisted applicants. Waitlisters are likely poorer matches with the department in question but are also probably more likely to have fewer other options. Not necessarily very many fewer, though - they were waitlisted rather than rejected, after all. 

Guess I'll call it even and go do something useful with my time instead of obsessing over my waitlist spot haha

I really think it varies. I went to one interview weekend and almost everyone there had multiple offers and seemed to be leaning elsewhere. At another, most had other offers, but seemed to be leaning toward that school. Also, some get waitlisted purely for funding reasons, so they might be the top choice, perfect fit, but their POI is waiting find out if they will be able to take a student or more than one, so they might end up definitely taking the spot when offered despite it coming late. I would think that schools where the stipend doesn’t meet the cost of living get more turndowns than those that do, or schools that have less funding overall,  so it might be more school centered than anything else in terms of your chance of getting bumped up.

I was waitlisted March 5th. I am totally freaking out. I applied to this graduate program last year and was rejected.This is the second time applying, and now Ive been waitlisted. I am nervous and hopeful, as I truly cannot handle not being in school for another year. Im hoping the waitlist is small and I dont have a poor rank...when I called them last week to tell them I want to be on the waitlist I asked if I could know my rank, and they said they couldnt share...SOS this is brutal!!

On 3/16/2019 at 6:48 PM, lisafara said:

I was waitlisted March 5th. I am totally freaking out. I applied to this graduate program last year and was rejected.This is the second time applying, and now Ive been waitlisted. I am nervous and hopeful, as I truly cannot handle not being in school for another year. Im hoping the waitlist is small and I dont have a poor rank...when I called them last week to tell them I want to be on the waitlist I asked if I could know my rank, and they said they couldnt share...SOS this is brutal!!

Ugh, I feel you! Hang in there!  I hope you hear back very soon with good news.  Being waitlisted somehow feels worse than outright rejection...being so close yet so far, stuck in that awful uncertainty.  Be proud of all your hard work and accomplishments so far and remember it's not over just yet!  

Happy news to share on my end...I got off the waitlist!! Official offer came through today and I am over the moon with excitement and relief and disbelief. There were many times I thought it wouldn't pan out, and I was mentally preparing to put myself through a second attempt, but it all did work out with time! 

Thanks to everyone here for all of the camaraderie and peer support on this crazy heck of a ride.  You all are amazing, and I know everyone here will go out and do so much good for the world. For those on the wait-list: hang in there!! Nothing makes the waiting easier or any less agonizing, but I can now say from experience that people really do get off the wait-list, so just know that not all is over yet!  The finish line is near - as April 15th inches closer, I hope everyone hears back good news soon and that we all end up in the right place. ?

19 hours ago, Waitlistedbuthopeful said:

Happy news to share on my end...I got off the waitlist!! Official offer came through today and I am over the moon with excitement and relief and disbelief. There were many times I thought it wouldn't pan out, and I was mentally preparing to put myself through a second attempt, but it all did work out with time! 

Thanks to everyone here for all of the camaraderie and peer support on this crazy heck of a ride.  You all are amazing, and I know everyone here will go out and do so much good for the world. For those on the wait-list: hang in there!! Nothing makes the waiting easier or any less agonizing, but I can now say from experience that people really do get off the wait-list, so just know that not all is over yet!  The finish line is near - as April 15th inches closer, I hope everyone hears back good news soon and that we all end up in the right place. ?

So happy for you! I was waitlisted on Feb 15th and am remaining on the list now. I feel so axious and don't know what the result will be.

55 minutes ago, amberpepw said:

So happy for you! I was waitlisted on Feb 15th and am remaining on the list now. I feel so axious and don't know what the result will be.

Ugh I am sorry to hear that.  The waiting is absolutely the worst.  :( Things should be picking up around this time, as people make decisions and release offers so hopefully the misery of waiting will end soon!  You're in the final lap! And as other posters here have said, many programs end up going to the waitlist multiple times and the vast majority of incoming cohorts nearly always include applicants accepted off the waitlist, so it happens more commonly than people talk about.  As slowly as I know the days trickle by on the waitlist --with no resolution one way or the other-- just remember it will eventually come to an end!  They put you on the waitlist because they see your potential and they want you at their program, remember that!!! 

22 hours ago, Waitlistedbuthopeful said:

That's so exciting, I'm so happy for you! I keep hoping something like this will happen to me soon too! I'm waitlisted at one school (my top choice), in two different programs, and it's super aggravating. One waitlist is unranked (no idea what's going on there), but I'll definitely be admitted if I manage to pull off the NSF-GRFP. The POI in that program really seems to be interested in/rooting for me, but they only take 1-2 people, and there's 6 other (younger) professors vying for those spots. For my other waitlist, I'm listed as number 6 in line for two different positions, so I'm really hoping! My partner got in though, to another program at the same school, so it's likely if I don't get in this year I'll reapply again next year, and try to take an RA position in the meantime. Uuuuhhhhgggg, so stressful!

On 3/20/2019 at 8:17 AM, Waitlistedbuthopeful said:

That's great to hear! Like I said, everything will work out!

Speaking of waiting, anyone know if faculty have a "deadline" for extending their first choice offers? My first choice POI has basically said he wants to accept me if departmental funding issues are resolved, but I don't know when is an appropriate time to give up hope and accept my other offer (a great program I am thankful for, but not a great fit). Feeling worn down..

35 minutes ago, nimsaj95 said:

Speaking of waiting, anyone know if faculty have a "deadline" for extending their first choice offers? My first choice POI has basically said he wants to accept me if departmental funding issues are resolved, but I don't know when is an appropriate time to give up hope and accept my other offer (a great program I am thankful for, but not a great fit). Feeling worn down..

Unfortunately, I don't believe that the Council of Graduate Schools resolution gives any deadline on programs to extend offers. We have to decide by April 15 (or risk losing the offer), but they can do whatever they want ?

On 3/16/2019 at 5:18 PM, paraent said:

Waitlisters are likely poorer matches with the department in question but are also probably more likely to have fewer other options. Not necessarily very many fewer, though - they were waitlisted rather than rejected, after all. 

Just wanted to note that though this seems like the most "obvious" reason why someone would get waitlisted, there are many potential factors that play into it.  Most clinical psych programs accept a small handful of students each year, certainly fewer students than there are faculty members. In a given year it may be that multiple faculty want to take on students, but due to various reasons (internal departmental decisions, faculty rotations/priority, grant productivity, politics, etc) some faculty may have greater claim over the limited spots to take on students.  Some faculty are upfront about this. Sometimes though, these things aren't settled in advance and so faculty may interview candidates only to say during/after the interview they're not sure if they can actually take one (yep...it sucks). 

This is all just to say that there are always other forces at work that factor into these difficult and sometimes political decisions. You could be a great match to a POI and an overall program, but still might not get an offer -- it doesn't mean you're not a good fit.  If you are on the waitlist, it means they want and will take you if they can. Or at least this is what I have gathered from my conversations with my supervisor (a tenured PI at an ivy league).  When my lab interviews candidates, often times applicants are all very qualified in similar ways, and so final decisions sometimes have to come down to minor details.  For instance, between two equally qualified/experienced candidates, we might ultimately make the first offer to the one whose prior research experience was vaguely/slightly more related -- even tangentially-- to upcoming projects.  It doesn't mean the other candidate wasn't also a great fit, it just means ranking is very difficult when you're dealing with a group of strong applicants, all very motivated, qualified, and unique.  

Anyhoo just wanted to throw this out there because I think its important to know that a lot goes on behind the scenes, and these decisions are anything but simplistic.  And plus, being on the waitlist is crushing and discouraging enough on its own without the added insecurity of wondering if you were a poorer match to your dream program and that you'll be likely to have fewer other options. 

*moonwalks away*