SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

6 minutes ago, kittycats said:

I also got the login info this morning (around 8:30 am) and still no results. The wait is killing me... 

Same here! I guess we're waiting until Monday... what a nightmare.

(for information's sake, a friend in my cohort got the log in info within a minute or two of when I did, and also hasn't received anything so far)

Also, I should mention I'm attending a PhD program at St Paul's University (in Ottawa, ON). I'm wondering if they are going based on provinces? Has anyone in ON heard anything today? 

1 hour ago, kindnessprevails said:

Same here! I guess we're waiting until Monday... what a nightmare.

(for information's sake, a friend in my cohort got the log in info within a minute or two of when I did, and also hasn't received anything so far)

A friend in my cohort got her login info around the same time as me and she’s heard! So I’m not sure what they’re doing. 

Got the login info this morning with no files,  but heard from my grad advisor (Uvic) that I am an alternate this year! So close yet so far!! Congrats to everyone who got it.

PS: Hi to all the Vancouver Island people!

Edited by gradlifesadlife

12 minutes ago, gradlifesadlife said:

Got the login info this morning with no files,  but heard from my grad advisor (Uvic) that I am an alternate this year! So close yet so far!! Congrats to everyone who got it.

PS: Hi to all the Vancouver Island people!

Oh man I’m sorry, but congrats on alternate! And hi to you too! :) 

For what it's worth: third time applicant, 2nd year PhD student studying at Oxford. Two days ago I got two emails back to back - one with my login name, and one with my temporary password. The second email noted that I would receive another email when my documents had been uploaded. Well, no further email came, but yesterday at around noon PST I checked the SSHRC portal again and lo and behold, three documents had been uploaded: one was a confirmation letter indicating that I had been given a Doctoral Fellowship, one was a letter with a few further details on the value and duration of the award, and one with the basic outline of the selection criteria. My score was 18.10/20, whatever that means. I think I was under Committee 3, or whatever the one is that deals with Anthro and Communication Studies type stuff. Good luck all, hang in there!

Applicant from UofA. Second time applying. Last year, I was waitlisted with a score of 11.3/20. This year, I received a CGS with a score of 16.8/20 in Committee 5. I did not get a notification to check the website. I just checked it on a whim to see if I could put myself out of my misery. 

In all honesty, I thought my application from last year was much better. There were not many substantial differences in this year's application. The only thing I can think of is that this year, I used simpler language in the proposal. Also, in some cases, I used the exact same wording that SSHRC provides in their selection criteria page to describe my relevant experience (ex, "I demonstrated the ability to communicate theoretical and technical concepts by __" "I have engaged in teaching and mentoring by __"). 

I am so shocked by the change in scores, but I suppose this shows how subjective things are.

Best of luck to all those who are still waiting!

5 hours ago, AK47 said:

Out of curiosity, just wondering, those that were lucky enough to get the CGS-D, what were your scores? ☺️

I got 15.9/20 in committee 4 (I think - I’m in psych).

Like others, my application was very similar last year, but I was waitlisted with an 11.1/20. I guess it comes down to who happens to read your application. 

Yes. It doesn't make sense to be honest.

Last year, I got a Vanier but did not get FRQSC. For the exact same research project. So congrats you everyone who got the award and for those who did not, please please please don't take it personally or as a reflection of your worth and potential in academia. 

9 hours ago, Polisci_2016 said:

Applicant from UofA. Second time applying. Last year, I was waitlisted with a score of 11.3/20. This year, I received a CGS with a score of 16.8/20 in Committee 5. I did not get a notification to check the website. I just checked it on a whim to see if I could put myself out of my misery. 

In all honesty, I thought my application from last year was much better. There were not many substantial differences in this year's application. The only thing I can think of is that this year, I used simpler language in the proposal. Also, in some cases, I used the exact same wording that SSHRC provides in their selection criteria page to describe my relevant experience (ex, "I demonstrated the ability to communicate theoretical and technical concepts by __" "I have engaged in teaching and mentoring by __"). 

I am so shocked by the change in scores, but I suppose this shows how subjective things are.

Best of luck to all those who are still waiting!

Congratulations! I am from the UofA and still waiting to hear. Did you get your results yesterday?

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Yes. It doesn't make sense to be honest.

Last year, I got a Vanier but did not get FRQSC. For the exact same research project. So congrats you everyone who got the award and for those who did not, please please please don't take it personally or as a reflection of your worth and potential in academia. 

Was it your experience that many people who won Vanier in your cohort, also won SSHRC? We are trying to gauge how much movement there is with the waitlist. With 5 committees, and 13 subcommittees, it seems that even if 2% of people awarded gave up SSHRC (20ish people), you'd need to be 1st or 2nd on your committee ranking waitlist to have a chance of movement. Just guessing though since SSHRC won't tell us anything directly.

23 minutes ago, elodie said:

Was it your experience that many people who won Vanier in your cohort, also won SSHRC? We are trying to gauge how much movement there is with the waitlist. With 5 committees, and 13 subcommittees, it seems that even if 2% of people awarded gave up SSHRC (20ish people), you'd need to be 1st or 2nd on your committee ranking waitlist to have a chance of movement. Just guessing though since SSHRC won't tell us anything directly.

Not sure if this is true now, but I was waitlisted last year and it was thought that the waitlist isn't committee-dependent, but based on scores alone. Good luck!

3 hours ago, PsycUndergrad said:

Out of curiosity, just wondering, those that were lucky enough to get the CGS-D, what were your scores? ☺️

I got a CGS-D with a 14/20. Im in Poli Sci, so not sure what committee that puts me in. I didn't even get forwarded by my institution for Vanier, and had a very similar proposal. So much of this makes no sense.

1 hour ago, WKLP said:

Not sure if this is true now, but I was waitlisted last year and it was thought that the waitlist isn't committee-dependent, but based on scores alone. Good luck!

It’s hard to see how that makes sense since people in some committees got CGS-D with lower scores than people on waitlists in other committees.  

I received login/password/notice of award all at the same time yesterday morning. CGS-D with 17.9 on Committee 3, incoming PhD.

I feel for those who didn't receive results before the weekend. There seems to be a pretty even distribution on here of unsuccessful/waitlist/sshrc/super sshrc though so whatever the process of notification, all results are still on the table.

also to those asking about vanier/waitlist, a friend of a friend was awarded CGS-D and Vanier last year so they declined the former. I imagine that bumped someone up the wait list. I am curious though if it shuffled everything down, like did an awarded sshrc become a super and then a waitlist became a sshrc... 

For those on waitlist: I got a score of 13.80/20 and received offer of SSHRC-Doctoral Fellowship. I'm in Committee 4.

11 hours ago, AK47 said:

4 hours ago, elodie said:

I got SSHRC and Vanier. So I guess it’s pretty common for Vanier scholars to be offered SSHRC. But for both, it’s two different committees. I did not get a high score for SSHRC which proves that these evaluations don’t always make sense.

18 minutes ago, gradlifesadlife said:

For those saying they handed in a very similar application last year and this year, I wonder how much the new evaluation criteria has to do with that.

What changed about the evaluation criteria?

FYI those who are still waiting. I got congratulations via email from my grad advisor on Thursday night ($35k/3yrs). I rec'd the Extranet invite Friday morning at 0934 and the files were uploaded just after 1030am. The first email said I'd get a notice when the files were uploaded, but I didn't. I just saw them when I checked. 

I'm in education at UVic, 16.6.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!