Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

2 hours ago, Quarantinelife said:

Was accepted off the waitlist at UofT's 2 Year Masters about a week ago! I'll be accepting soon. Excited to meet some of you this fall!

Can I ask what your experience and GPA was? Congratulations btw :)! 

2 hours ago, 1996msw2020 said:

Can I ask what your experience and GPA was? Congratulations btw :)! 

My cGPA was abysmal sitting somewhere around 3.0, but my final year was around 3.7. I did my undergrad in Cognitive Science and Sociology at UofT and worked in a few student support roles during those years. After graduating I have been working at a homeless shelter here in Toronto. 

On 5/2/2020 at 3:52 PM, MelissaT said:

Hi friends, please keep me updated if you hear from Laurier's pt online msw program September start date! 

best of luck to all! 

I applied to Laurier online MSW advanced standing for September start and I haven't heard back yet. I did get an offer elsewhere which I have accepted.

19 hours ago, Christinavas86 said:

I heard back yesterday and was accepted! I was also accepted to UofT yesterday morning so just debating which one to choose! 

That's awesome! Congrats! Wish you all the best with whichever one you go with ? 

14 hours ago, Christinavas86 said:

Amazing!! What year did you grad from UBC?? I wonder if we had any classes together! 

I actually just graduated last year! What about you? And that would be awesome if we had classes together! 

9 hours ago, JKMSW said:

Does anyone know how to apply for scholarships or bursarys for the uoft MSW 2 year prgm. I was accepted and I don't know how I'm going to pay for It ?

I feel this! I have looked at the awards page for uoft and it's pretty overwhelming. It looks like most applications will open in the fall. I think I'm going to have to make a spreadsheet to keep track of them all haha 

3 hours ago, K_J said:

I actually just graduated last year! What about you? And that would be awesome if we had classes together! 

Cool! I graduated back in 2016 so unlikely we had classes together but excited to meet you at UofT!! 

Has anyone heard back from Laurier's online Fall PT MSW 2020 program? I know it's early May...hoping they start letting people know soon. Hoping for some kind of update!

Edited by jmfmsw

1 hour ago, jmfmsw said:

Has anyone heard back from Laurier's online Fall PT MSW 2020 program? I know it's early May...hoping they start letting people know soon. Hoping for some kind of update!

I have yet to hear! 

I applied to both York and UofT MSW (2 year non-BSW).

I was waitlisted for UofT on April 2nd and still haven't heard. For York, my MyFile still says under review, but I emailed Pip asking about the timeline/status and she said she spoke to the the Graduate Program Director and she mentioned that I was on the wait-list for the 2-Year MSW program.I asked her how many people were on the waitlist, how long it would be open for and if it was randomly assigned or ranked. She said "You are correct, there are a certain number of people on the waitlist. Once a spot opens up, the next person on the list will receive an offer until the program is full. We are hoping to complete the selection process by the end of this month (May)" Not particularly helpful, but figured I'd share my experience. Hoping to hear from UofT, best of luck to all!

15 minutes ago, ConfusedTherapist said:

I have not heard anything back from Laurier yet. I'm considering applying for a 2020 intake at Yorkville, but good gracious that cost though. 

What program?

4 hours ago, jmfmsw said:

hoping for some information soon too! 

3 hours ago, ConfusedTherapist said:

I have not heard anything back from Laurier yet. I'm considering applying for a 2020 intake at Yorkville, but good gracious that cost though. 

I’m in the same boat - nothing from Laurier although I feel my chances are slim. I got into Yorkville for masters in counselling but doesn’t everyone? I’m worried it’s a degree mill that only wants $.. the cost is outrageous and I’m terrified I’ll do it as a last resort and then regret it lol

For those who live in Ontario, I'm curious if the provincial government has released any sort of guideline or plan for the coming months? I live in BC and our Premier announced our plan today. The plan says that if transmission rates remain low, then in September post-secondary institutions will operate with a mix of in-person/online courses.

I suspect it would be the same for Ontario, but just curious if it has been announced widely. Of course even with a plan, I know it will ultimately depend on the state of affairs. I will be starting at Carleton in the fall so I'm super anxious not being sure if classes will be completely online and therefore I would stay here at home for the semester, or if it will be a mixed model with some in-person classes. 

3 hours ago, Coolcat2019 said:

I’m in the same boat - nothing from Laurier although I feel my chances are slim. I got into Yorkville for masters in counselling but doesn’t everyone? I’m worried it’s a degree mill that only wants $.. the cost is outrageous and I’m terrified I’ll do it as a last resort and then regret it lol

Would the counselling masters translate to social worker type work, do you think? I would also consider if I don't get in. I'm mature, I've done other degrees and masters. As much as I want to be a social worker, I don't want to spend the next 3 years in the applying stage.  I was accepted into an BSW program that would take 2 years to complete (since I have a degree and masters). Right now it's my back-up plan, but also Yorkville could be a plan. I think with the MSW credential, I'd be able to find work before graduation, unlike if I was doing a BSW.  Rambling rambling...hope we hear some new soon!!

3 hours ago, MasterSW2020 said:

For those who live in Ontario, I'm curious if the provincial government has released any sort of guideline or plan for the coming months? I live in BC and our Premier announced our plan today. The plan says that if transmission rates remain low, then in September post-secondary institutions will operate with a mix of in-person/online courses.

I suspect it would be the same for Ontario, but just curious if it has been announced widely. Of course even with a plan, I know it will ultimately depend on the state of affairs. I will be starting at Carleton in the fall so I'm super anxious not being sure if classes will be completely online and therefore I would stay here at home for the semester, or if it will be a mixed model with some in-person classes. 

I've spoke to both Carleton and Laurier and they both said the fall semester will be a mix of in-class and online, and likely things will return to normal in the winter. HOWEVER, practicums may be distance/online 

3 hours ago, MasterSW2020 said:

The province of Ontario hasn’t released any specific guidelines as to how universities will operate in the Fall. I know that U of T is preparing for all classes to be online in the Fall however,  they have not officially confirmed this yet. 
Ontario has not yet flattened the curve to the same degree as BC as of yet - though that being said - Ontario also has a much larger population that BC.