Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

On 5/29/2020 at 10:48 AM, MSW_640 said:

Hi! For those studying at UWin, where did you find your PIN in order to make a UWin Account? I cannot find my PIN in any of the emails or documents that I have received from the university. Any help would be super appreciated!!

Not a UWin student, but usually for most universities if you have to make some kind of account where your user is student # and the PIN is the password, the first pin is your birthday - dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy - 6 digits, and then usually you are prompted to change it. I don't know if that's the case for your university, but that could be it. 

On 4/21/2020 at 3:02 PM, Laurier MSW said:

Wooohoooo!! Accepted to Lauriers 2 year MSW Program.
I got my email on the 17th! :)
I am so excited to start, but so curious how the first year is going to be with this whole pandemic situation!
Anyone else get accepted? 
Curious where everyone is coming from!
Congratulations to all!!!! 

Hey! Congratulations,

I accepted my offer for 2 years MSW program late April  as well. Would love to connect with you. :) 

On 5/26/2020 at 6:20 PM, rofskis said:

Hey everyone! I'll be starting at UWindsor for their MSW WP regular track program this September. Anyone else? :) 

Hi! First off- congratulations on getting accepted!! This is the program I really want to get in for, for 2021. May I ask what your background and experiences were going into the program? & what advice or insight you might have for prospectives like me :) 

Hi everyone! I will be applying to the 2 year MSW at UofT for fall 2021. I have a B in my last years senior credits and a B+ in research methods.  Has anyone here been accepted to the program with these grades? I know I meet the cut-off requirements but still with the program being as competitive as it is I am a little worried.  Would anyone suggest taking another  research course in hopes of getting an A? I have about 4 years work experience working with refugee children and youth and various international and local volunteer positions. Any input is appreciated! :)

7 hours ago, ntsgrg said:

Hi! First off- congratulations on getting accepted!! This is the program I really want to get in for, for 2021. May I ask what your background and experiences were going into the program? & what advice or insight you might have for prospectives like me :) 

Hey, thank you! :) I have a BA in Psychology and an SSW diploma, with 2.5 years of paid work experience in a social service setting. I also started volunteering at three places: a nonprofit health agency, a crisis text line, and an agency focusing on people experiencing homelessness. Another way to supplement your application is with professional development and training - some great free online courses that you can take can be found on OCASI: learnatwork.ca and CAMH: https://moodle8.camhx.ca/moodle/.

I did all of the above because I was really worried about my chances since my GPA isn't super strong and I had already gotten rejected from York and U of T when I applied while completing my SSW diploma a few years ago, so I wanted to do as much as I possibly could this time around. 

Advice: start getting in contact with your references now and stay on top of communications so that they can give you a really solid reference when it's time! Take as many online courses/certifications as you can! Try to volunteer if you aren't already :) 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to chat.

I contacted York University to ask about my MSW status as it still says under consideration when the dead line was June 1st. I was informed that they are still giving out acceptances into June and possible July. I haven’t heard of anyone else getting an acceptance yet so I am unsure how true this statement is. Has anyone else heard from York recently? 

11 hours ago, BellaMSW said:

I contacted York University to ask about my MSW status as it still says under consideration when the dead line was June 1st. I was informed that they are still giving out acceptances into June and possible July. I haven’t heard of anyone else getting an acceptance yet so I am unsure how true this statement is. Has anyone else heard from York recently? 

I have a friend who was admitted to the program and the orientation was actually last week. People had reported here that York would be finalizing their decisions by end of May/early June, but that information keeps changing. If you have no decision as of yet, this is York's strange ass way of waitlisting you until they fill up all their spots, and once that's done, they'll be sending out rejections.

I am still on the waitlist for Lakehead, but I think the second wave on the waiting list have been contacted, so I think my chances are slim to none on getting in. Does anyone know how many applicants there are, and how many spots there are? I feel pretty disappointed. Does anyone know if emailing them makes a difference in getting an acceptance?! I read someone said that could work with U of T, but I don't want to be a pain in the ass either.

Western just announced that the whole next year is going to be online.. feeling that most schools may do this.

Will anyone be deferring/planning to attend the next year instead because of this?

3 hours ago, olivolia said:

Western just announced that the whole next year is going to be online.. feeling that most schools may do this.

Will anyone be deferring/planning to attend the next year instead because of this?

Where did you see that? The most recent update I received was from May 29 and they said they are hoping to do a hybrid approach with 20-30% of courses having a in-class experience and it will differ depending on course selection, program, and year of study, and further details will be shared during the registration process.

21 hours ago, Kristine said:

I am still on the waitlist for Lakehead, but I think the second wave on the waiting list have been contacted, so I think my chances are slim to none on getting in. Does anyone know how many applicants there are, and how many spots there are? I feel pretty disappointed. Does anyone know if emailing them makes a difference in getting an acceptance?! I read someone said that could work with U of T, but I don't want to be a pain in the ass either.

im still on wait list as well

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 10:06 PM, MSWSEPT2020 said:

Where did you see that? The most recent update I received was from May 29 and they said they are hoping to do a hybrid approach with 20-30% of courses having a in-class experience and it will differ depending on course selection, program, and year of study, and further details will be shared during the registration process.

My friend just received an email last week that her whole year next year will be online.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, MSW_640 said:

Hi! For those studying at UWin, where did you find your PIN in order to make a UWin Account? I cannot find my PIN in any of the emails or documents that I have received from the university. Any help would be super appreciated!!

It's in your offer of admission in eGAS :)

Finally!!! Got accepted off U of T's waitlist (1 year Advance Standing Children & Their Families).  Hopefully more movement for others on the waitlist. Will be taking myself off Ryerson's waitlist.  Yet to hear from York.

Good luck to anyone waiting!

Edited by LooongWait

4 hours ago, Rassky said:

Got a response from York today. Myfile just says "reviewed-unsuccessful". 

Me too. Anti-climactic at this point, but I'm glad there's been a decision, finally.

Now to see if I move off the U of T waitlist (I didn't last year—this was my second year applying).

On 6/9/2020 at 2:47 AM, LooongWait said:

Finally!!! Got accepted off U of T's waitlist (1 year Advance Standing Children & Their Families).  Hopefully more movement for others on the waitlist. Will be taking myself off Ryerson's waitlist.  Yet to hear from York.

Good luck to anyone waiting!

Heyyy! 

congratulations!!!!! I got accepted for the same specialization - received the offer yesterday  :) 

By any chance when yu received your offer did Angela mention if it was full time or part time? 

Good luck to everyone! 

1 hour ago, SoooocialWork said:

Heyyy! 

congratulations!!!!! I got accepted for the same specialization - received the offer yesterday  :) 

By any chance when yu received your offer did Angela mention if it was full time or part time? 

Good luck to everyone! 

Hey!

Thank you? & congratulations to you as well!!!

Full time! Angela did not mention that in her correspondence but I only opted (applied) for full time.  You will find that status info in your admission letter posted on SGS.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:33 PM, rofskis said:

Hey, thank you! :) I have a BA in Psychology and an SSW diploma, with 2.5 years of paid work experience in a social service setting. I also started volunteering at three places: a nonprofit health agency, a crisis text line, and an agency focusing on people experiencing homelessness. Another way to supplement your application is with professional development and training - some great free online courses that you can take can be found on OCASI: learnatwork.ca and CAMH: https://moodle8.camhx.ca/moodle/.

I did all of the above because I was really worried about my chances since my GPA isn't super strong and I had already gotten rejected from York and U of T when I applied while completing my SSW diploma a few years ago, so I wanted to do as much as I possibly could this time around. 

Advice: start getting in contact with your references now and stay on top of communications so that they can give you a really solid reference when it's time! Take as many online courses/certifications as you can! Try to volunteer if you aren't already :) 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to chat.

Great advice, thank you! I dmed you :)