2020 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

rcon

On 12/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, Vel0ciRaPTOr said:

Any advice for how to deal with conflicting interview dates? I'd like to take 4 interviews (not more than that). The UNC conflicts with the UM interview. I somewhat prefer UM, but UNC already booked the flight, and I'd rather not give up that interview anyways. Since I go to school close to UM though I won't need travel/lodging accommodations and could be quite flexible. How have you all dealt with this kind of problem?

UM often has more than one interview weekend (if going through PIBS). You could ask if you could go to the other one.

Has anyone heard back from any of: Stanford DBMI, MIT CSBi, MIT EECS, Princeton QCB, JHU CS, or CMU Comp Bio? I’m hoping at least Stanford or Princeton starts sending interview e-mails.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, pangenome said:

Has anyone heard back from any of: Stanford DBMI, MIT CSBi, MIT EECS, Princeton QCB, JHU CS, or CMU Comp Bio? I’m hoping at least Stanford or Princeton starts sending interview e-mails.

Thanks!

Mit csbi usually gives emails to those who are accepted for interviews around mid January (so like 12th - 22ish). I can’t comment about the other programs as I have not researched them.

20 hours ago, forumcrawler27 said:

Hi, I have a couple general questions:

(1) Do schools typically send out rejection emails or just ghost you?

(2) If a school has already sent invites to people (e.g. people on this forum), does that mean they've sent out all their invites (or most)?

Thanks!

Usually ghost you until everything’s finalized after the interviews. Most programs send out official rejections in March and April. Thus for now no news is bad news.

12 hours ago, pangenome said:

Thanks!

Don’t think Stanford or MIT will send out interviews until early to mid Jan

Wow, it is cool that this thread exists as a few years ago when I was going through the application process it did not.  Back then there were only a very small number of posts and mostly in Computer Science. 

On 12/25/2019 at 1:43 AM, pangenome said:

Thanks!

I wonder if Princeton already sent out invites and just by chance no one on this forum received an invitation... 

Does anyone know if UCLA is done sending out invites at this point? I haven’t heard anything and I’m a little surprised since I thought I had a competitive app and I did a skype call with a POI who said he’d like to have me in his lab before I even applied. Should I reach out to the department or the POI?

3 hours ago, Vworried said:

Does anyone know if UCLA is done sending out invites at this point? I haven’t heard anything and I’m a little surprised since I thought I had a competitive app and I did a skype call with a POI who said he’d like to have me in his lab before I even applied. Should I reach out to the department or the POI?

Are you applying to Bioinformatics? If so, I got two emails about flight and hotel accommodation today. One has my name on it and the other starts with "Good afternoon, everyone". 

15 hours ago, haoyangm said:

Has anyone heard back from any of: Stanford BMI, Tri-i CBB, Yale BBS-CBB, or Harvard SysBio? Seems like only few people posted their interview invitations so I was wondering whether they have already sent out all the invitations or their will be another round?

I think some people have heard back from Tri-I, Yale, and Harvard SSQBio, but no one heard from Stanford yet AFAIK (I also applied to Stanford, seems like traditionally their interview invites go out early-mid January).

3 hours ago, pangenome said:

I think some people have heard back from Tri-I, Yale, and Harvard SSQBio, but no one heard from Stanford yet AFAIK (I also applied to Stanford, seems like traditionally their interview invites go out early-mid January).

Do you think if they (Tri-I, Harvard, and Yale) have sent out all the invitations?

6 minutes ago, Pjdoc said:

So any idea if university of Penn is done sending?  

I have no way of knowing this for sure - but I applied there too, and from all the looking at past year’s results and the forums for comp bio, it seemed like UPenn generally does one release early in December. I don’t remember seeing people reporting invites at later dates. ?

5 hours ago, haoyangm said:

Do you think if they (Tri-I, Harvard, and Yale) have sent out all the invitations?

I’m also curious to hear if anyone has any idea if Yale or Harvard (BIG for Harvard though) is done sending invites!

Also - my grades for fall semester came out after I sent in all my applications. I’m assuming some of you are in the same boat, are you sending in updated transcripts? Or calling admissions? I’m not sure what to do, because my grades are good but I don’t know who to contact, if anyone.

3 hours ago, rcon said:

I have no way of knowing this for sure - but I applied there too, and from all the looking at past year’s results and the forums for comp bio, it seemed like UPenn generally does one release early in December. I don’t remember seeing people reporting invites at later dates. ?

I’m also curious to hear if anyone has any idea if Yale or Harvard (BIG for Harvard though) is done sending invites!

3 hours ago, bioinf said:

Given how long it's been since Penn GCB came out and that the Harvard BIG interview is in about 3 weeks, I think it's probably too late to hear from either of them, sorry. 

To build off this, as of right now I'm assuming that any schools that have sent out invites that I haven't received are a no. Again maybe something super lucky could happen in the next week or so but based on the fact that these interviews are coming up very soon and the logistics + travel probably have to be arranged in advance I'm gonna say I think its unlikely. 

I think a lot of schools have just gotten way more applicants than normal because of how many programs have been waving the GRE + the field in general becoming more populated. I'm disappointed over a the schools that rejected me too but I feel lucky to have gotten several interviews at amazing places so I am choosing to focus on those and what my next steps are gonna be. Also there are still schools that haven't sent anything out so theres still some hope!