2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

2 hours ago, PoliSci4FlyGuys said:

Have any Princeton admits heard from POIs? The only communication I've had with them has been from DGS and to coordinate the visit and am getting antsy. 

Got individual emails from my POIs yesterday. I think it depends on your subfield and POI.

Edited by harshz3792

1 minute ago, SDMSK said:

I will pretend the Cornell admits are troll until someone claims it to make myself more comfortable during lunch time.

literally same... but a part of me knows it's probably real. i dont get it, do people actually purposely post fake results? thats a lot of effort and for what...?

Hi All.  

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm claiming a Cornell admit.  Had the god awful GRE quant score, 152.  Fit matters, obviously.  Also, this process seems incredibly idiosyncratic, lol.  IR subfield.  Domestic student. Admit letter said they had 326 applicants.

*edits* I (will) have a respected grad degree, so I think that helps too.  Also a strong grad GPA and good research experience and LORs.  But, wow.  I didn't think a Cornell admit was possible with my GRE scores.    

Edited by Mr_Spock2018

Just now, Mr_Spock2018 said:

Hi All.  

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm claiming a Cornell admit.  Had the god awful GRE quant score, 152.  Fit matters, obviously.  Also, this process seems incredibly idiosyncratic, lol.  IR subfield.  Admit letter said they had 326 applicants.  

Don't apologize, congrats! That's amazing.

Just now, Mr_Spock2018 said:

Hi All.  

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm claiming a Cornell admit.  Had the god awful GRE quant score, 152.  Fit matters, obviously.  Also, this process seems incredibly idiosyncratic, lol.  IR subfield.  Admit letter said they had 326 applicants.  

That's amazing!! congratulations :)

1 minute ago, Mr_Spock2018 said:

Hi All.  

It's okay lol. Congrats! 

4 minutes ago, Mr_Spock2018 said:

Hi All.  

*edits* I (will) have a respected grad degree, so I think that helps too.  Also a strong grad GPA and good research experience and LORs.  But, wow.  I didn't think a Cornell admit was possible with my GRE scores.    

Also are you a domestic or international admit?

34 minutes ago, harshz3792 said:

Got a call from Georgetown notifying me about my offer. IR Subfield!

Nothing from Georgetown yet.  I hope it does not mean rejection. 

Claiming Stanford (via phone call) and Cornell (via email). I'm pretty shocked -- I didn't expect this. I think it just happens to be a year where my research interests align well -- I doubt I could replicate this any other year. There is a lot out of anyone's control on this (fit, faculty availability, funding, etc.), and I know they could recreate exceptional cohorts 5 times over easily. 

Sort of off topic for today, but did anyone else apply for the dual PhD between Columbia and Sciences Po? Not sure if the decision/notification process is different for the partnership program.

7 minutes ago, ick5300 said:

Congrats to those that were accepted. I applied to Stanford and Cornell but have heard nothing. I am an unlikely candidate. I feel like an idiot for trying, wasting my money and their time. I'm angry at myself for having a bit of a pity party about it. It's unexpectedly difficult.

You didn't waste anyone's time! Never fault yourself for trying. The fact that you put in the effort to apply to PhD programs in the first place already speaks to your dedication and ambition. 

This is actually my second cycle. I fared poorly on my previous attempt. I focused on improving my application to have one more try and this time around I've been extremely fortunate to get several good options.

Don't lose hope!

Edited by Nichrome

I wasn't rejected yet, but I have a feeling it's coming and that I won't be going anywhere next year. Any tips on how to deal with this rejection? My heart hurts :( 

Anyway, congratulations to all those accepted! I wish you all the very best of luck. You worked hard and you deserve every bit of your success! Enjoy your moment ❤️ 

5 minutes ago, SmokedSalmonGuy said:

Hey friends! 

Are any of you Stanford admits in AP? Wondering because I haven't seen any posters say AP. I'm into some great programs but wow oh wow would the bay area be a great place to go to school!!

I am AP as well and haven’t heard anything! Fingers crossed coming out in batches?

11 minutes ago, PhD2020Applicant said:

I wasn't rejected yet, but I have a feeling it's coming and that I won't be going anywhere next year. Any tips on how to deal with this rejection? My heart hurts :( 

Anyway, congratulations to all those accepted! I wish you all the very best of luck. You worked hard and you deserve every bit of your success! Enjoy your moment ❤️ 

I taught myself how to knit and kept busy with little projects. Then I tried the cycle again with positive energy (and scarves) and got some offers.