*I is stressed* venting thread for Fall 2020 Applicants

justacigar

13 minutes ago, Schy said:

Honestly after @justacigar emailed their school and found out that their application was basically lost and then got an interview (for the same school?) I basically said f it and emailed all the schools that have already sent out invites and will probably be rejecting me. But honestly, after all the time and money spent into application season I feel like the least anyone can do is make sure rejections are sent out. I whole-heartedly believe waiting around for weeks OR never hearing an answer is 1000000% worse than receiving a rejection. Like pleaaseee reject me so that I can move on with my life and focus on how I'll spend the next year improving myself/finding myself/or whatever else floats my boat. lol 

Yeah, I think we all deserve peace of mind! Rejection is definitely better than waiting in limbo

3 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Yeah, I think we all deserve peace of mind! Rejection is definitely better than waiting in limbo

Rereading what I said is making me laugh because I sound so bitter but I still mean all of it LOL 

Okay so I emailed one of my top choices since their invites are usually mass emails. The coordinator just said that the initial wave has been sent out but to email the director to ask about my place on the waitlist and whatnot. But, the director is also my PI who I've emailed with. How do I word an email asking about status? I don't want to sound pushy or rude but I would like to know. Should I email him? 

5 minutes ago, Psych1st said:

Okay so I emailed one of my top choices since their invites are usually mass emails. The coordinator just said that the initial wave has been sent out but to email the director to ask about my place on the waitlist and whatnot. But, the director is also my PI who I've emailed with. How do I word an email asking about status? I don't want to sound pushy or rude but I would like to know. Should I email him? 

I don't think you'll sound pushy just by asking them to confirm your status/inquiring about your status! You could word it any number of ways, but if you're not being directly rude in your email please try and not worry about sounding pushy! Since you have emailed with this PI before maybe they'll have additional insight as to why you were waitlisted/rejected and if they don't offer that knowledge forthright then I feel like you could ask (if you wanted to). 

And you could bring up that you emailed with them before "Hello we talked briefly before. I just emailed with the coordinator they directed me to you for answers. Are there updates for the people who have not received initial invites?" something along the lines of that! 

41 minutes ago, Psych1st said:

I emailed a professor yesterday (who I know sent out invites) to inquire about the status of my app and found out I was indeed, rejected. So this helps and is NOT annoying! We deserve to know and not be held in limbo.

Just now, justacigar said:

I love all the applicant empowerment happening this round ?

Last round, I was only formally rejected from one school. None of the others even bothered to send me anything. WTF?!

Really?? This is my first round so I thought that they had to tell you SOMETHING.. 

1 minute ago, justacigar said:

I love all the applicant empowerment happening this round ?

Last round, I was only formally rejected from one school. None of the others even bothered to send me anything. WTF?!

I just don't understand how anyone can think that's okay ? Of course, yes, people are busy, things get pushed aside, but at my day job if I just casually didn't do something that is apart of my job description (and yes letting applicants know their status SHOULD be apart of SOMEONES job, even if it's a computer) I would be fired lol. It definitely feels like 'wow not only did I NOT get an interview/waitlisted, I wasn't even acknowledged!!!'  

1 minute ago, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

For those who have reached out to schools to inquire about status, how exactly did you ask?

Good Morning! 

I hope this email finds you well! I am a Fall 2020 PhD applicant and I was curious about the status of my application? I know some interviews have already been extended, but I'm unsure if there will be any more. 

Thank you for your time! 

That's word for word what I said! 

Just now, Schy said:

Good Morning! 

I hope this email finds you well! I am a Fall 2020 PhD applicant and I was curious about the status of my application? I know some interviews have already been extended, but I'm unsure if there will be any more. 

Thank you for your time! 

Thanks! That's very helpful. And you just emailed the program coordinator? 

3 minutes ago, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

Yeah that's what I did for most of them I believe, I had to google who it was or find at least a FAQ about where to direct my questions to and I just chose the email I found or that they suggested! 

50 minutes ago, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

I'll also chime in to say I called the number listed for one of my schools. I don't know that all programs will be responsive over the phone but it might be worth a shot! 

16 hours ago, SocPsyPhDWannabe said:

I have applied to 7 schools and haven't heard a peep from any. One of mine was FIU. When did you hear from them?

Mid-December, from the Developmental Science program.  I don't know if the other programs were reviewing at the same time.  Campus visit is Feb 5.

2 hours ago, merpppy said:

I emailed a professor yesterday (who I know sent out invites) to inquire about the status of my app and found out I was indeed, rejected. So this helps and is NOT annoying! We deserve to know and not be held in limbo.

Did your status in the online status check system update to reflect a rejection, do you know?  I have one program that I know has already done interviews that I haven't heard from, but it still says I am under review on the website.  I'm wondering if checking the universities' online status pages is even worthwhile ?

19 minutes ago, Randi S said:

Did your status in the online status check system update to reflect a rejection, do you know?  I have one program that I know has already done interviews that I haven't heard from, but it still says I am under review on the website.  I'm wondering if checking the universities' online status pages is even worthwhile ?

Nope! For both schools I was rejected from, it still says "submitted"/in review.

3 hours ago, Schy said:

I just don't understand how anyone can think that's okay ? Of course, yes, people are busy, things get pushed aside, but at my day job if I just casually didn't do something that is apart of my job description (and yes letting applicants know their status SHOULD be apart of SOMEONES job, even if it's a computer) I would be fired lol. It definitely feels like 'wow not only did I NOT get an interview/waitlisted, I wasn't even acknowledged!!!'  

Especially when you are paying an application fee, transcripts fee, and test score fee. The LEAST they can do is have some undergrad intern in the Psych Office send an automated email. 

4 hours ago, SocPsyPhDWannabe said:

Especially when you are paying an application fee, transcripts fee, and test score fee. The LEAST they can do is have some undergrad intern in the Psych Office send an automated email. 

I couldn't help but to glance at your signature and I noticed that you applied to a school I applied to! Did you already get rejected from FSU? Is that what the red text means? Sorry if I'm being too nosy. ? You can also pm me if it's more comfortable. I applied to FSU and still have not heard anything from them! 

2 minutes ago, lolhelp said:

I couldn't help but to glance at your signature and I noticed that you applied to a school I applied to! Did you already get rejected from FSU? Is that what the red text means? Sorry if I'm being too nosy. ? You can also pm me if it's more comfortable. I applied to FSU and still have not heard anything from them! 

That's three of us :) I know a couple people have gotten interviews, but I haven't heard a peep from FSU ( or USF, or Gainesville)

1 minute ago, lolhelp said:

That's what it's there for! I made it red because that was the closest color to the "schools color" lol! Although, it's probably me subconsciously assuming that I won't get it. Your username is super relatable haha! 
But, no, I haven't heard from them yet. From previous posters, it looks like the interview is 1/30 - 2/2? So there's still hope!

Just now, Randi S said:

That's three of us :) I know a couple people have gotten interviews, but I haven't heard a peep from FSU ( or USF, or Gainesville)

Huzzah! So there's still hope! haven't heard from any of my schools.

10 hours ago, Schy said:

Good Morning! 

Thank you for your time! 

Thanks for sharing this! I've heard from five of my eight, and I'm not sure when the remaining send out invites (Couple/Marriage and Family Therapy &/or related programs); so, I'll have to tweak some of the working. Also, I'll probably wait and contact any place I haven't heard from nearer to the end of February- since I don't know when they normally send out invites.