*I is stressed* venting thread for Fall 2020 Applicants

justacigar

51 minutes ago, justacigar said:

They just straight up forgot about me ?‍♀️ wasn't given an invite, wasn't given a rejection or an alternate notification. LOL the coordinator seemed dumbfounded that could even happen. This is by far the most complicated way I'll get rejected this year

Ask for a refund fee! :P

I stopped checking the interview thread and results page last month ?I got wayy too pessimistic when one of my lower schools sent out invites and I didn't get one--literally, that evening, I started planning what I was gonna do my next year haha. I just figure I'll find out when I find out. I'll probably check again in 2 weeks if I don't hear anything else.

1 hour ago, Aghhhhh said:

I stopped checking the interview thread and results page last month ?I got wayy too pessimistic when one of my lower schools sent out invites and I didn't get one--literally, that evening, I started planning what I was gonna do my next year haha. I just figure I'll find out when I find out. I'll probably check again in 2 weeks if I don't hear anything else.

I wish I had this kind of self control! I know checking constantly is detrimental to my mental health and my productivity at work, and yet...here I am haha. 

22 minutes ago, ImAFreudNot said:

I wish I had this kind of self control! I know checking constantly is detrimental to my mental health and my productivity at work, and yet...here I am haha. 

same situation..paranoic and already planning

4 hours ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

I only have 1 left out of my top 5. Upsetting. 

You've already gotten 4 reject letters? I've only heard from one school, period, still waiting to hear a peep from the other four... and only two of those have popped up in the results forum as even having done interviews yet.  I think I'd rather have rejections then just sitting in limbo like this!

9 minutes ago, Randi S said:

You've already gotten 4 reject letters? I've only heard from one school, period, still waiting to hear a peep from the other four... and only two of those have popped up in the results forum as even having done interviews yet.  I think I'd rather have rejections then just sitting in limbo like this!

I haven’t received any rejections but the interviews are soon & my POI’s have invited others so I consider it a “soft” rejection. 

48 minutes ago, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

I haven’t received any rejections but the interviews are soon & my POI’s have invited others so I consider it a “soft” rejection. 

Got it, makes sense.  I hope you get a couple of nice surprises this cycle then!

16 minutes ago, Novina said:

Has anyone heard back from Illinois or Penn State yet? I feel like people are getting invites/rejections all over the place but I haven't heard a peep from any of the schools I applied to.

I'm also anxiously waiting on Penn State! Haven't heard a single thing from 11 of my schools, so I'm in the same boat

42 minutes ago, Novina said:

Has anyone heard back from Illinois or Penn State yet? I feel like people are getting invites/rejections all over the place but I haven't heard a peep from any of the schools I applied to.

I know someone who has heard back from Penn state. It was before the holidays. 

They aren’t very good at communication. One of my friends who applied last year never get a rejection. 

Edited by hopefulgrad2019

Sorry if this has already been asked!

One of my schools sent out invites in mid December and I never received anything. The official Interview Day is next week. I would assume that I've been rejected, but I actually have not heard about anyone hearing from my POI. Obviously they may have extended interview offers and the chosen candidates don't use GradCafe, but I thought I would ask for advice anyway.

Is it inappropriate to reach out the the department and ask if all interview invites about been offered? Since the school's official day is next week I want to plan my travel accordingly... but more realistically accept my defeat.

14 minutes ago, EHL343 said:

One of my schools sent out invites in mid December and I never received anything. The official Interview Day is next week. I would assume that I've been rejected, but I actually have not heard about anyone hearing from my POI. Obviously they may have extended interview offers and the chosen candidates don't use GradCafe, but I thought I would ask for advice anyway.

Is it inappropriate to reach out the the department and ask if all interview invites about been offered? Since the school's official day is next week I want to plan my travel accordingly... but more realistically accept my defeat.

I think at this point, it's totally reasonable to reach out to the department just to make sure, although given the proximity to the interview days, chances are good they're probably all out.

4 hours ago, Novina said:

If by Illinois you mean the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, my PI suggested during our Skype call that the department would be meeting this week.

9 hours ago, Randi S said:

I have applied to 7 schools and haven't heard a peep from any. One of mine was FIU. When did you hear from them?

5 hours ago, EHL343 said:

At this point I would just assume you did not get chosen to attend the interview day. 

8 hours ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

I know someone who has heard back from Penn state. It was before the holidays. 

They aren’t very good at communication. One of my friends who applied last year never get a rejection. 

do you know what program they applied for (e.g. clin, social, etc.)?

11 hours ago, Psych1st said:

I'm pretty sure I have rejections from the rest of the schools I haven't heard from, but the fact that I don't know for sure sucks. I hate having a sliver of hope if it's definitely not happening. 

Honestly after @justacigar emailed their school and found out that their application was basically lost and then got an interview (for the same school?) I basically said f it and emailed all the schools that have already sent out invites and will probably be rejecting me. But honestly, after all the time and money spent into application season I feel like the least anyone can do is make sure rejections are sent out. I whole-heartedly believe waiting around for weeks OR never hearing an answer is 1000000% worse than receiving a rejection. Like pleaaseee reject me so that I can move on with my life and focus on how I'll spend the next year improving myself/finding myself/or whatever else floats my boat. lol