Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

I'm having a really hard time focusing and staying motivated. Focusing on my current lab work has been so difficult this month.

I'm waiting to hear back from so many places but the anxiety is really difficult. This is my second round and I don't think I can put myself (or afford to put myself) through this again but I really don't know what else I'd do. I sincerely love research and clinical work and I can't see myself doing anything different. I've thought about becoming a psych NP but I'd have to start all over (I don't have a BSN or any of the prerecs). I'm just nervous and see my options dwindling. 

5 minutes ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

I'm having a really hard time focusing and staying motivated. Focusing on my current lab work has been so difficult this month.

I'm waiting to hear back from so many places but the anxiety is really difficult. This is my second round and I don't think I can put myself (or afford to put myself) through this again but I really don't know what else I'd do. I sincerely love research and clinical work and I can't see myself doing anything different. I've thought about becoming a psych NP but I'd have to start all over (I don't have a BSN or any of the prerecs). I'm just nervous and see my options dwindling. 

Hi I’m on the same boat with having a hard time focusing on work. I truly just want to nap my days away and wake up to refresh my emails. This is my first time applying though, so I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. If you truly can’t see yourself doing anything different, I wouldn’t give up if I were you! This seems to be SUCH a strange year to apply. I have had acquaintances get multiple interviews in years past with less experience, so I think this year is an anomaly for all of us who haven’t heard back yet from anywhere. 

I know it doesn’t sound hopeful to wait another year to apply, but at least we can apply again in September (only 8 months away)! What are you doing now, if you don’t mind me asking? I think any experience you can get in the next year will help your chances of getting in next cycle. I think it’s about luck too :( 

5 minutes ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

I'm totally with you. I work as a project manager on several projects and it's incredibly hard to stay focused smh I hate how much i'm looking at my phone, I literally can not stay focused. I, too, love research and could honestly not see myself doing anything else.

It sucks if we don't get in this round because that literally means we have to wait another year to possibly go through this again (only the strong survive though, right? ? ) I wouldn't even mind as much if we could apply in like June/july as well as December, that would make it a little easier. Its also the dauntingness of having to AGAIN ask professors and colleagues to submit LORs. This is my 3 cycle and I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable asking my recommenders again, im sure they're thinking "if you haven't gotten in by now, maybe do something else " :( idk so many thoughts...good luck, friend! 

13 minutes ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

I don't know if this will help but the best advice I have ever gotten regarding this is not stressing over "if" you will get in. Because it isn't a matter of "if", it is a matter of "when". I know thats its not always feasible to apply multiple times but if you truly love this work and can only see yourself doing this work, you will eventually get there! Keep your head up and continue to utilize this support network we are creating of likeminded individuals here on the forum. Continue to gain experience and know that when you do get in, it will have all been worth it

14 minutes ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

I'm thirding what everyone else has said. I'm also thoroughly 100% certain that this is the path that is right for me, and I know I would always sincerely regret doing anything else. It's okay to take a break for a bit to recoup and clear away the burnout (looking forward to doing that myself). But I'm also planning on throwing myself back in the ring again next year. Perhaps you could consider finding a position in a new lab if you feel the current isn't sufficiently supporting your goals/interests? I'm in the same boat myself, and actively looking for other options.

3 minutes ago, PhD1Day said:

Its also the dauntingness of having to AGAIN ask professors and colleagues to submit LORs. This is my 3 cycle and I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable asking my recommenders again, im sure they're thinking "if you haven't gotten in by now, maybe do something else " :( idk so many thoughts...good luck, friend! 

I feel this way too. ? It is embarrassing to share all ended up being for naught. Hoping I'll have some new recommenders by next cycle, but who knows.

2 hours ago, natb96 said:

Has anyone heard from the Counseling PhD programs at Maryland (College Park), Lehigh, Univ of Tennessee (Knoxville), or Colorado State? I feel like i’ve seen the occasional chatter about Tennessee and Lehigh but can’t tell if they’re done extending invites 

UT at Knoxville interview invites were out in Dec, interview day is next week. Lehigh went out in Dec as well. ?  Not sure about the rest. 

Seeing invites go out for Denver PhD is rough. It was my top choice program, and I thought I demonstrated a perfect fit with the lab. I really did do my absolute best - sometimes it sucks when your best isn't good enough. Just feeling a little discouraged right now. Hope everyone else is able to have a good Thursday! 

17 minutes ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

First of all 100% in the same boat with having a hard time focusing/staying motivated at work right now. This process is so grueling and going through it during all the current contexts just makes everything so much more difficult and heavy. Everyone reading this please be gentle with yourself and practice what we hope to preach. Prioritize self care right now.

I just want to chime in that if this is truly what you want to do, do not give up. I was in the same place this time last year during my second cycle. Truly feeling as though I could not bear this process again; emotionally, financially, all the things. A year later and I feel SO grateful that things didn't work out the way I had hoped/expected last cycle. On my third cycle now I feel so much better prepared (mentally, skills-wise, more focused on my goals for grad programs and beyond) and this year I have SO many more options on the table (4x as many invites for fully funded programs) including my top choice program I've been trying to get into for years. 

I know it is so hard in this moment, and backup plans just don't feel like they can stack up yet start to feel like the only option, but if you truly want to pursue this field in this way do not lose hope. If you have to reapply next year inquire about application fee waivers and other financial resources, this really helped me this year. It is easy to feel like life is flying by and that taking another year will be a "waste of a year" but that extra year can be so formative if you make it and can lead to even better opportunities the next cycle. 

2 minutes ago, rainbow56 said:

On my third cycle now I feel so much better prepared (mentally, skills-wise, more focused on my goals for grad programs and beyond) and this year I have SO many more options on the table (4x as many invites for fully funded programs) including my top choice program I've been trying to get into for years.

Would you be comfortable sharing some thoughts (whatever you're comfortable with!) on what you did since your last cycle that made you better prepared for this one? I'm in a weird situation with my current lab and I feel that I should be getting broader experience, but I swear finding a new position is almost as tough as getting a grad invite. ?

34 minutes ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

Me too. This is my first time applying but I have extensive research experience and I’m not sure what to even fix before reapplying. My mentor thinks I’m jumping the gun on that this cycle won’t happen for me but I’m not sure. She says she would be shocked if I don’t get in but at the same time this cycle is so much harder than normal years. She says there are so many more factors at play. Anyway, I’m thinking maybe going to PA school and then doing psych but I’m not sure. 

7 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

Would you be comfortable sharing some thoughts (whatever you're comfortable with!) on what you did since your last cycle that made you better prepared for this one? I'm in a weird situation with my current lab and I feel that I should be getting broader experience, but I swear finding a new position is almost as tough as getting a grad invite. ?

14 minutes ago, rainbow56 said:

First of all 100% in the same boat with having a hard time focusing/staying motivated at work right now. This process is so grueling and going through it during all the current contexts just makes everything so much more difficult and heavy. Everyone reading this please be gentle with yourself and practice what we hope to preach. Prioritize self care right now.

I just want to chime in that if this is truly what you want to do, do not give up. I was in the same place this time last year during my second cycle. Truly feeling as though I could not bear this process again; emotionally, financially, all the things. A year later and I feel SO grateful that things didn't work out the way I had hoped/expected last cycle. On my third cycle now I feel so much better prepared (mentally, skills-wise, more focused on my goals for grad programs and beyond) and this year I have SO many more options on the table (4x as many invites for fully funded programs) including my top choice program I've been trying to get into for years. 

I know it is so hard in this moment, and backup plans just don't feel like they can stack up yet start to feel like the only option, but if you truly want to pursue this field in this way do not lose hope. If you have to reapply next year inquire about application fee waivers and other financial resources, this really helped me this year. It is easy to feel like life is flying by and that taking another year will be a "waste of a year" but that extra year can be so formative if you make it and can lead to even better opportunities the next cycle. 

I’d also be curious to know what you’ve done in the past year to help your application! Thanks so much for your kind words. 

18 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Seeing invites go out for Denver PhD is rough. It was my top choice program, and I thought I demonstrated a perfect fit with the lab. I really did do my absolute best - sometimes it sucks when your best isn't good enough. Just feeling a little discouraged right now. Hope everyone else is able to have a good Thursday! 

Hi friend, Denver PhD is also my top choice. Are you referring to the two posts about interviews a few days ago, or did you hear all interviews were extended? I thought it was PI specific so far so I was holding out hope 

Just now, EileanDonan said:

Absolutely! Anyone can DM me as well if they want to chat :) (Apologies in advance for how long this is)

Since last cycle I ended up maintaining a connection with a PI I interviewed with and was waitlisted for last year (obviously didn't end up getting in) and we have been working together on a research project. I cannot stress enough that if you end up getting waitlisted at schools you interview for and nothing else works out keep those connections and make it clear you are still very interested in their work/program and plan to re-apply for their lab next cycle if they accept a student again. Then mention briefly that you would love to collaborate on research with them should any opportunities be available. If they seem receptive to that, follow up a few months later and show you are truly interesting in that connection/opportunity. 

I also ended up getting really lucky and finding work on a study that is directly related to my research interests, so that gave me a tonnnn of really thorough and focused experience. This really helped me to be more refined in my interests and showed that I had experience in it and know that is what I want to work with.

In this study I was also able to get extensive experience both with research and clinical work, as I conducted 100+ clinical interviews with participants. If you have any opportunities for research work that also allow you to integrate direct clinical work with your population, that is so helpful in showing you are a well rounded candidate for all the demands of these programs. 

Lastly it is allllll about connections. Immediately after finding out I wasn't getting in last cycle I spent months reviewing each and every program and each and every faculty member in every clinical phd program to find the best fits and build a list I could share with my colleagues in the field. I know networking it literally everyone's least favorite thing but it is SO important. I reached out to past and current colleagues/professors, colleagues of colleagues, and shared with them both my potential programs and POIs. From there I was able to form a few connections with faculty in the programs and I feel that gave me a HUGE leg up not only in having a connection but also being able to say I already spoke with someone in the program and have more info on it than just from the website and from that I am really interested in your program for xyz reasons (shows dedication and thorough interest). 

Hope this helps with trying to organize thoughts for your year in between cycles, though I hope it doesn't come to that for you :) Wishing everyone luck! 

43 minutes ago, PhD1Day said:

I'm totally with you. I work as a project manager on several projects and it's incredibly hard to stay focused smh I hate how much i'm looking at my phone, I literally can not stay focused. I, too, love research and could honestly not see myself doing anything else.

It sucks if we don't get in this round because that literally means we have to wait another year to possibly go through this again (only the strong survive though, right? ? ) I wouldn't even mind as much if we could apply in like June/july as well as December, that would make it a little easier. Its also the dauntingness of having to AGAIN ask professors and colleagues to submit LORs. This is my 3 cycle and I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable asking my recommenders again, im sure they're thinking "if you haven't gotten in by now, maybe do something else " :( idk so many thoughts...good luck, friend! 

For those of you who are applying year after year consecutively, I am wondering... how? If I don't get in anywhere I'm thinking of applying to a new research coordinator position, but these positions usually require 2 year commitments, which means I'll have to wait 2 years until reapplying? What kind of positions do you currently have? 

10 minutes ago, ResilientQueen said:

Hi friend, Denver PhD is also my top choice. Are you referring to the two posts about interviews a few days ago, or did you hear all interviews were extended? I thought it was PI specific so far so I was holding out hope 

I also heard about another invite in the Slack group this morning. So far it does seem PI specific and I haven't seen anything about my PI, but it's also possible they aren't on the forums. Just sort of preparing for the worst I guess! It's hard to balance having hope but not so much hope that you are crushed later ?

29 minutes ago, PhD1Day said:

The grief is definitely starting to seep into this thread :( lets all hold our heads high! We've got this *with watery eyes*

It's tough to see so many of us dealing with rejection, but I also just want to normalize that the grief is okay, too. I think after each rejection (or assumed rejection) I let myself feel the grief fully, otherwise it would just take over down the road. We are grieving a future we thought we could have, at that particular school with that particular PI. It's okay to not be okay ❤️ 

1 minute ago, clinpsych2021 said:

For those of you who are applying year after year consecutively, I am wondering... how? If I don't get in anywhere I'm thinking of applying to a new research coordinator position, but these positions usually require 2 year commitments, which means I'll have to wait 2 years until reapplying? What kind of positions do you currently have? 

Aaaaaah I'm still dealing with the exact same problem!

My current RA position is quite flexible in timing (although this has come with a cost...looking at you HR), and my PI is quite understanding about my goals. So I do at least have an emergency backup - I won't be jobless.

But applying to new positions has been frustrating. I wish I could have gotten one of those two year positions last year (came close!), but I'm determined to apply again next year (not getting any younger here) so I am forced to ignore amazing openings. So yes, I'm only applying to jobs that either don't mention a commitment or state that the opening is just a year with possible extension. Of course, they might end up asking you to commit for two years during the interview anyway. I hate having that convo. ?