Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

9 hours ago, HopefulScholar2021 said:

Does anyone know how often applicants get offers from being on a waitlist? (Both Counseling and Clinical) I am on a waitlist for a couple of schools and I am starting to get worried since I don't have any offers yet. 

Thank you in advance! 

Being admitted from the waitlist is relatively common, but obviously depends on the school and the year. Most waitlist offers come in March, and into April, when all applicants finally hear about first-round offers and start to make their acceptance decisions. Then they start releasing other offers, which gets the waitlist offer process moving. So my best advice is to be patient and not give up!

7 hours ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

It's looking grim for me folks. I remember someone sharing a resource for RA positions around the country, or something of the sort as post-grad advice for those who don't get in this cycle but still need a job. Can anyone share those resources if they have them?

Follow @PsychChatter on Twitter. They have a monthly psych jobs thread that lists opportunities - 

10 hours ago, HopefulScholar2021 said:

Does anyone know how often applicants get offers from being on a waitlist? (Both Counseling and Clinical) I am on a waitlist for a couple of schools and I am starting to get worried since I don't have any offers yet. 

Thank you in advance! 

It's very common, but if you want more concrete data I would look up the ratio of offers extended to offers accepted in each program (I first saw that data in the Insider's Guide, not sure if it's available elsewhere). If you see that the program extended 18 offers last year and 6 were accepted, there's a pretty good chance you'll be pulled from the waitlist. if a program extends 6 offers and 6 were accepted, less so.

13 hours ago, cat0720 said:

Does anyone know when we might hear back from University of Washington Clinical PhD program with offers?

They meet on Tuesday to discuss and then depending on your PI they said they hope to contact by the end of this week or next :) best of luck!

Guys I'm freaking outttttt. Not getting in this cycle (my second time applying) was never an option. My chances lie in only one school now, and I'm so nervous funding won't be available for me... I don't know what to do

Looking for some insight: So I was accepted to one of the top programs that I am considering via mass email from the program director. I am waiting to hear from my other top program and to hear about funding from this school, which they said will come in March, before I make my final decision. Should I reach out to my POI at this school to express my thanks and let them know that I am greatly considering this program but I am waiting for the funding information before I can make a decision? Or should I just leave it alone and have no contact?

Hi - if the posters who got accepted to University of Florida’s clinical program see this, would you mind DM’ing me your PI initials? I’m applying there next cycle and would love to know if it’s the same PI. Thank you :)

Edited by PsychApplicant2

so i received rejections from all 9 schools applied to initially. all colorado ph.d. programs plus u of wyoming ph.d. had my breakdown, cried a lot of tears, blah blah blah. however, in late january, i found five more programs with application deadlines in feb-march:

divine mercy university psy.d (i interviewed here in 2019 while i was still in undergrad and strongly believe the reason i didn't get in then was because i was so young and only had volunteer clinical experience + 2 years of research. now, i graduate with my master's in may and have two years of clinical experience)

PCOM psy.d

midwestern university glendale psy.d

midwestern university downer's grove psy.d

palo alto clinical ph.d.

if you know anything about any of these programs, please let me know! i know midwestern has a bad reputation on reddit and student doctor network, but i wanted to see what yall had to say, as this thread is WAY more positive and supportive. Also, moratorium on the cost of these programs, i am so tired of reading so much negativity surrounding this topic on student doctor network and reddit lmao. 

i received an official interview for DMU today, which i am really excited and confident about (they also offered me a 25% tuition reduction if i am accepted, which i am THRILLED about)

Hi all! This is my first year applying to Counseling Psychology PhD programs. I've been accepted to one program that I really like in all aspects except that it is partially funded (half tuition remission granted through research work, no stipend). I'm having trouble figuring out how common this is in the field: some folks I know in other fields have said blanket things like "if they're not funding you don't go!", but I think full-funding is the default in those fields.

I'm uncertain, if I only get into this program (which is seeming increasingly likely), if it's a good idea to go to a reputable but partially-funded program or if it's better to try next year for something fully funded. Are most Counseling Psychology PhD programs partially funded or fully funded? Is it common to have to find alternate ways to assist in funding this degree? How common is it for a good program in the field to not be fully funded? Any insights are hugely appreciated, thank you!!

38 minutes ago, missmusical said:

anyone hear from Ohio Univ post interview? Saw one acceptance 2/8 but I'm inclined to think it was a troll.

I emailed my POI last week and he informed me I was at the top of his waitlist. I am thinking that the person accepted on 2/8 is his initial offer. Otherwise, I have not seen or heard anything else and when I contacted him, he did not mention if the department was done sending out offers.

10 minutes ago, Psych1999 said:

I emailed my POI last week and he informed me I was at the top of his waitlist. I am thinking that the person accepted on 2/8 is his initial offer. Otherwise, I have not seen or heard anything else and when I contacted him, he did not mention if the department was done sending out offers.

Who is your poi if you don’t mind? You can DM if you don’t want to post here :)