Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Well... it's a rough day... One of my top choices for schools, just decided to suspend applications for this year. Just as a heads up for y'all UMKC is not accepting applications this year.

Just now, VeriWolf said:

Well... it's a rough day... One of my top choices for schools, just decided to suspend applications for this year. Just as a heads up for y'all UMKC is not accepting applications this year.

I'm so sorry. Why in the world would they accept applications and fees from applicants before they knew if they could take students or not? :( 

20 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Still holding out for Stony Brook...I refuse to lose HOPEEEEE

I haven't seen anyone post anything other than pre-interviews a while back. I didn't receive a pre-interview, but I also heard my POI doesn't do any preliminaries so I'm holding onto hope too haha. Feel free to DM if you want to swap POI info and if we hear anything!

Yeah. It sounds like it was a really tough decision for the program, so no knock against them at all. This year has not been kind to anyone. They are refunding the fees. I was just really in love with the program and POI! I am sure it will all work out though.

5 minutes ago, shutupsigmundfreud said:

I haven't seen anyone post anything other than pre-interviews a while back. I didn't receive a pre-interview, but I also heard my POI doesn't do any preliminaries so I'm holding onto hope too haha. Feel free to DM if you want to swap POI info and if we hear anything!

*chefs kiss* beautiful

On 12/20/2020 at 6:13 PM, a_mills54 said:

I also got the same email from the graduate school! I am glad I am not the only one, I was getting a little worried maybe they missed my application or something. Not sure what this means.... do schools normally let you know if you are on a waitlist or will they just.... let you wait and email you if an interview spot opens up (first time applying so I am not sure of the protocol here)?

I got that email as well. However, I think the mass rejections were for the Counseling program not the Clinical program. I'm holding out hope for a waitlist though!

Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I had a brief preliminary interview with my POI at UCSB eleven days ago, and I still haven't heard back. Does this mean I won't get an invite to interview day or is there still a chance? It seems most applicants who had pre-interviews with their POIs heard back after a few days. Not sure if I should email her or wait a few more days. Interview day is Jan 15, so I'm assuming they've all made a decision by now? 

Edited by Maybe2021

Hi all,

Wow is the anxiety setting in. I am so surprised to hear about so many interviews and waitlists already...and it's starting to freak me out. 

As for Stony Brook- it's also one of my tops and was wondering how people knew about the January interview dates? I couldn't find it on their website.

Haven't logged into GradCafe in awhile and now I'm getting nervous lol. I checked CUDCP's website and the interview notification deadline for Mississippi State has already passed, and Miami University's (OH) is today. I guess I just need to air out this anxiety.

20 hours ago, higaisha said:

Still holding out for Stony Brook...I refuse to lose HOPEEEEE

LOL i'm giving up end of the day...apparently official invites have been sent out as of yesterday, and with the interview day just around the corner I think its over for me. I wonder if my PI will not end up taking a student after all, no one seems to have heard back from them. It is one of my top choices, so a bit sad that its over! 

36 minutes ago, MadiB said:

Haven't logged into GradCafe in awhile and now I'm getting nervous lol. I checked CUDCP's website and the interview notification deadline for Mississippi State has already passed, and Miami University's (OH) is today. I guess I just need to air out this anxiety.

I would probably take the CUDCP information with a grain of salt, I haven't seen too many programs list actual interview notification deadlines and those that do don't always stick to them. 

Just now, justacigar said:

I would probably take the CUDCP information with a grain of salt, I haven't seen too many programs list actual interview notification deadlines and those that do don't always stick to them. 

Thanks, this is super helpful! Last year I only paid attention to the interview dates, so I wasn't sure if the notification deadlines were accurate. 

Hi! First time posting here and first time applying to grad school! I am hoping someone can help me interpret this situation... I applied to PhD clinical psych programs.

I had a preliminary zoom interview (30 min) with my top choice school, but I realized that the PI did not ask me any questions about my research interests. They complemented my CV and my experience and called it impressive. Said my Letters of Rec were really great and that I am "high up on the list." We talked about personal interests (I played a sport in school and they thought that was cool). The PI otherwise told me about their program of research, the structure of the lab and goals for the lab. I asked a current grad student, who was also present, about mentorship style and current projects they are working on. The interview ended with mention that the PI would follow-up in mid-January about formal interview offers and continued to complement me. But I am worried that we never really dove into my personal research interests (they are closely aligned with the PI's) or skills. They never asked....Is that a bad sign? Should I have brought up my interests or skills or how I can help the lab? Should I have asked more specific questions about their research? I know there were otherwise a lot of good things to take away from the interview - but it seemed very "get to know your personality" instead of "get to know your research interests and if you can think like a researcher," which is not what I was expecting. I just don't know how to interpret this. Are prelim interviews supposed to be about past achievements and personality, or research interests and goals? Is this normal? If I do get a formal interview invite, I will be sure to emphasize my interests and skills and ask more questions. Just a lot of nerves as this is my #1, and the only pre-interview I've had!

Also, the PI replied to my thank you email saying that they look forward to following up with me re next steps. Not sure if that means anything or if people say that all the time. I could be overthinking things a lot here, but I don't know I've never done this before. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Does anyone know if Montclair U is done sending their interview invites? I have seen a few receive their invites but my application portal still says "awaiting decision" I'm very curious as to what this means... Will they be sending more invites later or they string you along and then reject you? 

17 minutes ago, babyyoda said:

Hi! First time posting here and first time applying to grad school! I am hoping someone can help me interpret this situation... I applied to PhD clinical psych programs.

I had a preliminary zoom interview (30 min) with my top choice school, but I realized that the PI did not ask me any questions about my research interests. They complemented my CV and my experience and called it impressive. Said my Letters of Rec were really great and that I am "high up on the list." We talked about personal interests (I played a sport in school and they thought that was cool). The PI otherwise told me about their program of research, the structure of the lab and goals for the lab. I asked a current grad student, who was also present, about mentorship style and current projects they are working on. The interview ended with mention that the PI would follow-up in mid-January about formal interview offers and continued to complement me. But I am worried that we never really dove into my personal research interests (they are closely aligned with the PI's) or skills. They never asked....Is that a bad sign? Should I have brought up my interests or skills or how I can help the lab? Should I have asked more specific questions about their research? I know there were otherwise a lot of good things to take away from the interview - but it seemed very "get to know your personality" instead of "get to know your research interests and if you can think like a researcher," which is not what I was expecting. I just don't know how to interpret this. Are prelim interviews supposed to be about past achievements and personality, or research interests and goals? Is this normal? If I do get a formal interview invite, I will be sure to emphasize my interests and skills and ask more questions. Just a lot of nerves as this is my #1, and the only pre-interview I've had!

Also, the PI replied to my thank you email saying that they look forward to following up with me re next steps. Not sure if that means anything or if people say that all the time. I could be overthinking things a lot here, but I don't know I've never done this before. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Prelim interviews are to get to know your personality. I think you're overthinking this a bit. The formal interview is for research based questions! If you're high up on the PI's list, you will most likely receive a formal interview where the PI will ask questions about your research interests. From what I understand, Prelims give the PI an idea if you'd be a good fit for the lab in terms of personality and such. Don't stress!

16 minutes ago, babyyoda said:

Personally I think this all sounds great! I had a brief zoom chat with a PI I emailed before applying, and I expected to talk more about my interests/experience, but she prefaced everything by saying she already knows I'd be a good fit for her lab from my CV so she wanted to focus more on talking about her current projects. So I would guess that since your PI did not have any questions about your interests/experience, they already feel pretty confident about them. It sounds like you all just let the conversation flow wherever it naturally headed, so I wouldn't overthink about what things you didn't get to bring up. If they had concerns or hesitations, they would've addressed them. Congrats!

53 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Prelim interviews are to get to know your personality. I think you're overthinking this a bit. The formal interview is for research based questions! If you're high up on the PI's list, you will most likely receive a formal interview where the PI will ask questions about your research interests. From what I understand, Prelims give the PI an idea if you'd be a good fit for the lab in terms of personality and such. Don't stress!

Oh okay thank you for your response! I think I misunderstood the purpose, so that's helpful!

53 minutes ago, pokemim said:

Personally I think this all sounds great! I had a brief zoom chat with a PI I emailed before applying, and I expected to talk more about my interests/experience, but she prefaced everything by saying she already knows I'd be a good fit for her lab from my CV so she wanted to focus more on talking about her current projects. So I would guess that since your PI did not have any questions about your interests/experience, they already feel pretty confident about them. It sounds like you all just let the conversation flow wherever it naturally headed, so I wouldn't overthink about what things you didn't get to bring up. If they had concerns or hesitations, they would've addressed them. Congrats!

Okay thanks!! I have a better understanding now. And it sounds like we had a similar experience! Congrats to you as well!!

5 hours ago, Maybe2021 said:

Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I had a brief preliminary interview with my POI at UCSB eleven days ago, and I still haven't heard back. Does this mean I won't get an invite to interview day or is there still a chance? It seems most applicants who had pre-interviews with their POIs heard back after a few days. Not sure if I should email her or wait a few more days. Interview day is Jan 15, so I'm assuming they've all made a decision by now? 

It definitely does not hurt to reach back out. I would follow up and just ask if they have an update and tell them you're really excited about the prospect. You deserve to hear back in a timely manner!