Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

This just happened to me too! I got an email from my PI at Kent State but it was addressed to someone else. Crossing my fingers it was just an email drafting error ?

Thank you everyone! The email I received was also for Kent State but not with the PI I applied for.  There must be something wrong with their system ?

Any thoughts on how Zoom will change our interview attire? I tend to purchase the flat front/no lapel blazers because lapels are mostly unflattering on me, but I’m afraid that will seem too informal over video. Also considering lighter versions of the acceptable colors (aka a lighter gray or medium blue) due to fears of looking like a ghost on video, but again, I’m concerned about appearing too informal. 

1 hour ago, frazyfar said:

Any thoughts on how Zoom will change our interview attire? I tend to purchase the flat front/no lapel blazers because lapels are mostly unflattering on me, but I’m afraid that will seem too informal over video. Also considering lighter versions of the acceptable colors (aka a lighter gray or medium blue) due to fears of looking like a ghost on video, but again, I’m concerned about appearing too informal. 

I would just test out outfits on Zoom and see what works best, as most schools will still probably expect professional attire. 

4 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

I would just test out outfits on Zoom and see what works best, as most schools will still probably expect professional attire. 

Procrastinating faculty member here :). I agree with the above, although I think this year we will cut you all some slack - we know that Zoom fatigue is real, and that being physically comfortable can help with that. I personally will be completely fine with a dress shirt or nice cardigan over a blouse, rather than a full blazer. To add, though, please consider taking some time to make sure your Zoom setup avoids some common problems. To wit:

1. The (other) halo effect. It's especially important during an interview to make sure that your face is adequately lit and that there isn't a strong light (sunny window or artificial lighting) behind you that makes you a silhouette. It's hard enough to get personality across via Zoom, and being able to clearly see your face helps a lot. No need for a fancy setup, just make sure to test your lighting at multiple points of the day and adjust accordingly.

2. Framing. This is tricky, I realize, but it's helpful for a lot of us to be able to view body language from more than just a disembodied head :). Think about the news anchor frame and try to approximate that. This also has to do with angles - if you're sitting directly in front of a laptop looking down (or up) at it, depending on the distance it can look like a looming face. Also test run your attire to make sure that the camera angle doesn't reveal anything you don't want it to reveal.

3. Eye candy. I don't judge anyone's Zoom space decor or similar (unless it is obviously inappropriate), however I have been distracted by items within view. So just check that your artwork, doodads, books, etc., are not distracting or overly cluttered, even if they're really cool. As with your professional attire, the goal is to make sure you and your ideas are the focus.

4. Props. Obvious prop placement, like making sure your copy of the DSM-5 or "Discovering Statistics Using R" is clearly viewable, are amusement-inducing, but not actually helpful. Also, many folks use their bookshelves as background - nice choice, but please make sure the titles are all appropriate, and that you don't inadvertently reveal an interest in some psychological area/approach that is inconsistent with the program to which you're applying. We can't help it - we WILL read legible titles.

5. Pets. I love 'em. Can't get enough of them, and to my mind pets are exempt from Item 2 above, but not sure everyone would agree. That said, we understand if you get a visit during our meeting :).

Thank you for your posts, all - I'm trying to anticipate applicants' anxieties so we can try to mitigate them during the interviews, and your opinions and questions are helpful. Good luck!

On 12/28/2020 at 10:02 AM, displaynamed said:

Has anyone heard from the counseling programs at University of Louisville or Georgia State, or the combined clinical/counseling program at Utah State University? 

I am waiting to hopefully hear from USU also, but nothing yet.  ??

40 minutes ago, psych0tic said:

For clinical psychology, has anyone heard back from the following programs (or know of anyone who has):

SDSU/UCSD

Northwestern (Feinberg)

Harvard

Columbia (Teachers College)

Fordham

CUNY/CCNY

UCLA

UPenn

Thanks!  

Feinberg sent out an email that they won't be sending updates until first week of Feb, I believe. I also applied to Fordham, Harvard, and CUNY (although different track - HPCS) and haven't heard anything :) 

Does anyone know if there's any truth to the results post saying UNC Chapel Hill sent out their interview invites already? Their website says the last day to get an invite is January 15, but I was wondering if anyone here knew anything, or if any of y'all have heard from them.

Hope everyone is doing well! This waiting period is tough, but we got this! ?

10 minutes ago, RedBird said:

Does anyone know if there's any truth to the results post saying UNC Chapel Hill sent out their interview invites already? Their website says the last day to get an invite is January 15, but I was wondering if anyone here knew anything, or if any of y'all have heard from them.

As far as I know, they've only sent out preliminary invites, but I don't think all PIs do this? I have a preliminary on the 4th and my POI will send out final interview invites on the 8th.

2 hours ago, RedBird said:

I just had a preliminary interview today, so I don't think all official invites have been sent out yet

Edited by spring2000

7 hours ago, spring2000 said:

I just had a preliminary interview today, so I don't think all official invites have been sent out yet

ahhh can you let me know how it went? I've spoken with my POI (university of florida) over zoom before (back in September) but I have an official preliminary interview in a couple weeks and I'm psyching myself out ? I know they might be different, but would you say yours was primarily conversation based? 

50 minutes ago, Schy said:

ahhh can you let me know how it went? I've spoken with my POI (university of florida) over zoom before (back in September) but I have an official preliminary interview in a couple weeks and I'm psyching myself out ? I know they might be different, but would you say yours was primarily conversation based? 

I think mine was set up a bit differently than others. The POI sent a list of abstracts and told us to pick one to discuss, so we mostly talked about the study I chose and how it fit into my interests/experiences. I am the worst at interviews, but it honestly wasn't too bad! She told me that it was supposed to be pretty informal/conversational so hopefully yours is similar. Good luck! :) 

Question- I had a professor reach out to me (a few weeks after I had sent him an email explaining my interest in his lab, which he responded to shortly after I sent that initial email thanking me for my interest) sending me a few recent articles he published and asked me to send him some ideas on how I could contribute to his lab. He emailed me this on 11/18 and I responded within 24 hrs- I have yet to hear a response from him. Do we think he never responded bc he didn't like the research ideas I sent him? (I spent 3 hours writing out that email?) or maybe it was just close to app deadlines and he got busy reviewing apps? side note- he is a collaborator at the lab I am currently a manager at, so we knew each other before this application cycle. I would appreciate any thoughts!!

17 hours ago, psych0tic said:

For clinical psychology, has anyone heard back from the following programs (or know of anyone who has):

SDSU/UCSD

Northwestern (Feinberg)

Harvard

Fordham

CUNY/CCNY

UCLA

UPenn

Thanks!  

Haven't heard anything for UCLA and don't know of anyone who has heard back! Hopefully, they are taking their time to review all applications before reaching out to applicants! 

18 hours ago, psych0tic said:

SDSU/UCSD

Northwestern (Feinberg)

Harvard

Fordham

CUNY/CCNY

UCLA

UPenn

Thanks!  

I would also love to know if anyone's heard from Columbia (Teachers College) and Yale. I keep obsessively checking and have only seen one person post for Yale and figured there would be more...

6 minutes ago, HopefullyPanicked said:

I would also love to know if anyone's heard from Columbia (Teachers College) and Yale. I keep obsessively checking and have only seen one person post for Yale and figured there would be more...

Who'd you apply to work with at Yale? I know one PI who has been conducting preliminary interviews

20 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

I applied to JJ... were KL and MOB taking students?

Pretty sure neither can take on students...they are both research faculty but not professors.