Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Just now, expensiveswimmer said:

Does anyone know if you can still get an interview invite without a preliminary interview invite? 

you can! some PIs only interview those who they are iffy about and may have applicants they are sure they want to interview and don't need a prelim interview to help them decide 

7 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

ugh, i'm just really stressing out. after not getting in my first round of applying, i was really heartbroken. I spent the last 2 years working my ass off in psych research/getting publications and have made my way up to lab manager in my current clin psych lab. I feel like I'm a really strong applicant this second round of applying but i'm feeling discouraged from not hearing anything yet : / trying not to catastrophize just yet 

It will happen!  I am a second time applicant too and it is so hard.  Hang in there --- a lot of interviews have not been extended yet!

25 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

ugh, i'm just really stressing out. after not getting in my first round of applying, i was really heartbroken. I spent the last 2 years working my ass off in psych research/getting publications and have made my way up to lab manager in my current clin psych lab. I feel like I'm a really strong applicant this second round of applying but i'm feeling discouraged from not hearing anything yet : / trying not to catastrophize just yet 

I feel this too! But FWIW, I found it really helpful to search the results page by specific programs I applied to. I saw that most of the programs I applied to didn't extend invites until mid-late Jan in previous years and did few informal interviews. I guess you never know if this is the year they decide to change their timeline and process, but I'm not focusing on that! It's kept me calm. 

I’m getting kind of annoyed at the clogging up of the results forum from people asking for PI’s... and I think it’s disrespectful to ask someone what PI rejected them. I’m seeing this with the University of Georgia especially. Thoughts? 

1 minute ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

I’m getting kind of annoyed at the clogging up of the results forum from people asking for PI’s... and I think it’s disrespectful to ask someone what PI rejected them. I’m seeing this with the University of Georgia especially. Thoughts? 

Yeah, it's annoying. But it's gonna happen, so I just try not to let it bother me. We can at least manage our forum thread a bit more, and prevent that thread from getting cluttered with requests! 

1 minute ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Same. I saw a post that said something like "Post the PI if you want, and if the person didn't post their PI don't ask", and it was gone about 30 mins later, so I assume the mods removed it. I think it's a good point though. Clearly the posters lurk the forums/results page, so they're aware that they could post the initials if they want to. I can only imagine how much worse this is going to be over the next few weeks.

Just now, justacigar said:

Yeah, it's annoying. But it's gonna happen, so I just try not to let it bother me. We can at least manage our forum thread a bit more, and prevent that thread from getting cluttered with requests! 

Oh yeah, I totally agree. It’ll always happen. But the posts when people ask what PI rejected someone make me cringe. Like, come on?

5 minutes ago, kch16 said:

Same. I saw a post that said something like "Post the PI if you want, and if the person didn't post their PI don't ask", and it was gone about 30 mins later, so I assume the mods removed it. I think it's a good point though. Clearly the posters lurk the forums/results page, so they're aware that they could post the initials if they want to. I can only imagine how much worse this is going to be over the next few weeks.

I saw that too! The mods were fast removing posts like that. I’m sure it’s gonna be crazy for the entire month of January 

Edited by PsychApplicant2

2 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

On the note of the results section: at what point does posting one's background stats go from "providing helpful info for future applicants" to "entitled"? I've wondered with a few posts...

To be honest sometimes I wonder about people posting stuff just to show off, but I'm not sure if I'm just projecting my own application insecurities. I think we all just need to focus on ourselves and putting our best foot forward, and less on the competition! We're all (hopefully) just trying to make the world a better place and it's a shame that this environment can get a bit toxic, but I guess as is the case for all online forums ?

6 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

On the note of the results section: at what point does posting one's background stats go from "providing helpful info for future applicants" to "entitled"? I've wondered with a few posts...

I know exactly what posts you’re talking about. It’s really strange. Is the poster trying to brag or just comment on how ridiculously competitive the process is and that even with amazing stats, you can still get rejected?

Edited by PsychApplicant2

3 minutes ago, shutupsigmundfreud said:

To be honest sometimes I wonder about people posting stuff just to show off, but I'm not sure if I'm just projecting my own application insecurities. I think we all just need to focus on ourselves and putting our best foot forward, and less on the competition! We're all (hopefully) just trying to make the world a better place and it's a shame that this environment can get a bit toxic, but I guess as is the case for all online forums ?

I believe there is truth to this, it's easy to become fixated on those things that feel so reflective of our own situations. And let's be honest, this crowd runs high on neuroticism...!

7 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

I know exactly what posts you’re talking about. It’s really strange. Is the poster trying to brag or just comment on how ridiculously competitive the process is and that even with amazing stats, you can still get rejected?

If it seems to come from one user in particular the last few days, then yes. ? Having applied to one of the same schools, I can state for a fact you don't need that sort of experience to get the POI's attention. If it's the former situation, then I must wonder if that attitude came across in their application materials/interview. Let's hope not, but nonetheless, humility goes a ways too folks.

8 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

I believe there is truth to this, it's easy to become fixated on those things that feel so reflective of our own situations. And let's be honest, this crowd runs high on neuroticism...!

If it seems to come from one user in particular the last few days, then yes. ? Having applied to one of the same schools, I can state for a fact you don't need that sort of experience to get the POI's attention. If it's the former situation, then I must wonder if that attitude came across in their application materials/interview. Let's hope not, but nonetheless, humility goes a ways too folks.

Yup, it’s those posts! The poster has really incredible stats, but I’m wondering if they applied to PI’s outside of their research interests? Also, personal statement + letters of rec carry a lot of weight. I’ve heard the personal statement can make or break... who knows. 

2 hours ago, PyschMama said:

Anyone apply to NYC schools - specifically Columbia, Fordham, Yeshiva, LIU, Rutgers (NJ), Pace? Wondering when they typically send out emails? Thanks!

Hi! Considering some of the deadlines (Rutgers and Pace specifically) recently passed or will in the next few days so I am unsure when invites will go out. Looking at last year's invites it looks like at the earliest mid January to early February. Don't quote me on it though... I wish you the best of luck with the process!

44 minutes ago, baldpotter said:

University of Oregon - Counseling Psychology

I saw today on the results forum people got an official rejection email from the program. If I received neither an invite nor official rejection what is the best next step? What do you all think?

I am wondering the same thing with University of Oregon (except with School Psych PHD)! Rejections were posted today but I haven't heard either way. Not sure what to think... hoping more rejections aren't coming throughout the week. 

I haven't heard anything at all from my schools but some of them look like they already sent out the interview invites and some sent out the rejections. I'm starting to panic again....Should I cross off those who already sent out the interview invites?