Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

5 hours ago, SheMadeItEventually said:

I haven't heard anything at all from my schools but some of them look like they already sent out the interview invites and some sent out the rejections. I'm starting to panic again....Should I cross off those who already sent out the interview invites?

I get that you are worried, trust me, I am in the same position but crossing off the school from your list now or later won't really make a difference if you are going to be rejected (I hope that you aren't though!). I know it is easier said than done but the reality is that until January end, you just can't know what position you are in. We took months for our applications and understandably, the faculty will take time to send invites, some might send them all at once, some might do it differently. With COVID, even the most predictable things are unpredictable. If you are this worried about not getting in (at least I am haha), what's been helping me is slowly coming up with back-up plans; if you don't hear back from any schools till January end, then ramp up your efforts for the back-up plans. Crossing off the schools right away or later...would it really matter? You can't change your application anymore. It's a tough spot. :) Reach out if you wanna rant or get ideas for distraction, not that many people in our lives understand this experience as much as we do. 

Edited by tryingtostaypositive

9 minutes ago, ClinPsychAgain said:

@tryingtostaypositive I applied to PI: CT at UCSD/SDSU! Last year they sent out interview invites a little later in January, and given the rise in applications this year I imagine we still have quite a wait.

Gotcha! I imagine so, it’s definitely a reach program for me so I wouldn’t be too surprised if I didn’t hear back lol and I heard JDP got 1k applications. Just wanted to gouge how many people are interested in social anxiety research!!! I love CT’s work!! 

28 minutes ago, ClinPsychAgain said:

@tryingtostaypositive I applied to PI: CT at UCSD/SDSU! Last year they sent out interview invites a little later in January, and given the rise in applications this year I imagine we still have quite a wait.

Someone said on the results page that they got 1,000 applications and they will send invites at the end of the month 

I just got an email from UMass Boston’s Clinical program saying that their application timeline is extended, that their admissions committee will meet in late January, and that interview invites will be extended via phone call in the last week of January. I hadn’t followed up with them, so I imagine quite a few applicants reached out. 

21 hours ago, Southwestteacher said:

I am wondering the same thing with University of Oregon (except with School Psych PHD)! Rejections were posted today but I haven't heard either way. Not sure what to think... hoping more rejections aren't coming throughout the week. 

I haven't heard anything from University of Oregon! I wonder if that is good or bad...

58 minutes ago, hopeful2021 said:

For the poster who received a prelim interview from MH at Harvard, do you by any chance know if they're still sending out emails / what the school's timeline is?

also seconding this inquiry (if the person wants to dm me as well that'd be super appreciated <3).

11 minutes ago, gracerecht said:

I haven't heard anything from University of Oregon! I wonder if that is good or bad...

Not sure either. It seems like this has happened to some other people who have posted as well.  Maybe waitlist? 

Edited by Southwestteacher

This is probably just me complaining but has anyone else on the west coast noticed that these interview times are not made for us? I have a zoom official interview scheduled to start at 6:00am my time! Yikes. I feel like this has never happened before since things have never been Zoom but are there any tips or anyone who wants to commiserate on how likely sleepy/non-A game we will be?

Guess I'll be waking up at 5am to sit there and have the Zoom meeting catch the sunrise.

5 minutes ago, soobak said:

This is probably just me complaining but has anyone else on the west coast noticed that these interview times are not made for us? I have a zoom official interview scheduled to start at 6:00am my time! Yikes. I feel like this has never happened before since things have never been Zoom but are there any tips or anyone who wants to commiserate on how likely sleepy/non-A game we will be?

Guess I'll be waking up at 5am to sit there and have the Zoom meeting catch the sunrise.

I noticed this, too! I'm a historically terrible sleeper and total night owl as a result, so I am not stoked about this. It will be barely dawn when I get up too, I seriously hope they don't thrown the most intensive stuff at us first. If I have to do my PI interview first thing, I'll be doomed. ? (Also I really hope they give us a proper lunch/Zoom break...) I plan on trying to get up a bit earlier the days leading up to it so my body can adjust.

2 hours ago, tryingtostaypositive said:

Gotcha! I imagine so, it’s definitely a reach program for me so I wouldn’t be too surprised if I didn’t hear back lol and I heard JDP got 1k applications. Just wanted to gouge how many people are interested in social anxiety research!!! I love CT’s work!! 

CT applicant here too!

1 hour ago, soobak said:

Do you have Zoom meetings for that program all day? I would honestly reach out to whoever and ask about flexibility. Chances are, they probably didn't realize that you are in a different time zone. 

4 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

I noticed this, too! I'm a historically terrible sleeper and total night owl as a result, so I am not stoked about this. It will be barely dawn when I get up too, I seriously hope they don't thrown the most intensive stuff at us first. If I have to do my PI interview first thing, I'll be doomed. ? (Also I really hope they give us a proper lunch/Zoom break...) I plan on trying to get up a bit earlier the days leading up to it so my body can adjust.

Same! I am hoping it'll be the introduction to the school in the morning but this is my first year applying so I have no idea how these things work. That's a great idea though, I should try to adjust my schedule so I don't look unenthusiastic about the interview, haha!

3 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Do you have Zoom meetings for that program all day? I would honestly reach out to whoever and ask about flexibility. Chances are, they probably didn't realize that you are in a different time zone. 

I appreciate the advice! I would hate to be difficult though just because it's earlier than my usual wake up time. It'll be okay, I have a lot of sympathy for all the international applicants having to do zooms at 2-3am their time!

Got my first rejection! Obviously it sucks but also feels like... a release of anticipation? Like I can process it and move on, which somehow feels a bit better than feeling completely in the dark about everything.

Can anyone relate to this feeling?

14 minutes ago, DigitalBuddha said:

Got my first rejection! Obviously it sucks but also feels like... a release of anticipation? Like I can process it and move on, which somehow feels a bit better than feeling completely in the dark about everything.

OMG yes so much! The unknown/suspense is what kills me the most. I'd much rather have an answer so I can start thinking about next steps.

7 minutes ago, DigitalBuddha said:

I can, I'm all but waiting on rejections from several at this point already. I'd love some closure and stop feeling so hyper conscious of my email.

1 minute ago, DigitalBuddha said:

Totally relate, I didn't anticipate my anxiety to get about 1000x worse after all my applications were submitted. I think the waiting combined with feeling like I'm just sitting on my hands makes things really hard since it's out of our control at that point. Narrowed possibilities means less hypotheticals for my brain to get caught up in.