Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

31 minutes ago, Psychdreams42 said:

Hello everyone,

Has anyone heard from the following:

Kent State: Clinical, I read one person was offered a preliminary interview.

Case Western: Clinical

University of Akron: Counseling

Thanks in advance! Best of luck to all! 

Hi! I had a prelim interview with my poi (J.G) earlier this week, and the email I was sent from him said they do prelims before they do official interviews as part of their process. Since each poi seems to contact people directly, I am unsure if all of the professors have sent out prelim interview invites or not, but I saw a few people comment about prelims as well. I hope this is helpful! Best of luck to you! 

37 minutes ago, Psychdreams42 said:

Hello everyone,

30 minutes ago, Psychdreams42 said:

Hello, 

Congratulations! Would you please tell me more about your Kent State invite? Was your email from your POI or from the program? Did you receive it today?TIA!

I received a prelim from my PI at Kent State last week and we met on Tuesday. I heard from her directly. Haven't heard about final decisions yet. 

27 minutes ago, Psychhopeful1 said:

Does this mean I’m rejected if I didn’t get one?

For all schools, if you don't receive an interview invite initially, it does not necessarily mean you are rejected. You are not rejected from any school until you receive an official rejection. Some programs send them out much earlier than others and some wait until after April 15. If you don't hear from a school, assume you are still on a list somewhere.  There is always a slim chance that programs/POIs go back to their shortlist if someone declines an interview, or even accepts an offer somewhere before other interviews have even taken place. This year is going to be even more unpredictable because applicants don't have to travel and cancel plans if they decide not to attend an interview or take an early acceptance somewhere. The wait is agonizing, but unusual things do happen sometimes!

1 hour ago, spring2000 said:

I know some PIs at UNC Chapel Hill have sent out official invites, not sure if all have. Same for Texas A&M, and their interviews are on the 14th and 15th. I think the timeline is up to the individual PI for both

For A&M, I got invited to some sort of social on 1/12. I wonder if this is separate from the interviews?

16 minutes ago, a_mills54 said:

Hi! I had a prelim interview with my poi (J.G) earlier this week, and the email I was sent from him said they do prelims before they do official interviews as part of their process. Since each poi seems to contact people directly, I am unsure if all of the professors have sent out prelim interview invites or not, but I saw a few people comment about prelims as well. I hope this is helpful! Best of luck to you! 

Thank you so much for this information! I always start the process so confident but every post I read brings that down a notch! Best of luck to you!!! 

1 hour ago, Psychdreams42 said:

Hello everyone,

I've seen both rejections and interviews for Case Western. They started sending things out in mid December. 

30 minutes ago, illuminatingvisage said:

For A&M, I got invited to some sort of social on 1/12. I wonder if this is separate from the interviews?

I think that's just for all prospective applicants not part of the interview

1 hour ago, Psychdreams42 said:

Thanks for this! I seem to have missed both types of threads for these and haven’t received either one myself-sigh

No problem! I got the former ? Maybe not hearing anything from them isn't such a bad sign then. Maybe you're heading toward a wait list! I've only heard from one of my schools (wait list), and I'm getting pretty antsy.

First time applicant here who would greatly appreciate some advice - I got rejected from a PhD program and was instead recommended to apply to the school's master's program within the same department, using the same documents as I used for the PhD program to create a new separate application for the master's. However, do you recommend slightly altering my personal statement to better suit the aims of the program? For instance, this master's program has more of a clinical/practicum focus and less of an emphasis on research, so should I alter my statement to reflect this? Or, would it be better to leave the statement unaltered, as my PhD rejection email said I could do? Also, is it conventional to include the names of PIs in master's application essays? Thanks so much!

6 hours ago, Gavindorf said:

I see people getting interviews from U of NL and I'm dying inside ?

That's literally me right now. UNL is my top choice and I saw one person received a formal interview from my POI. *laughing and crying

2 hours ago, Underthewater said:

First time applicant here who would greatly appreciate some advice - I got rejected from a PhD program and was instead recommended to apply to the school's master's program within the same department, using the same documents as I used for the PhD program to create a new separate application for the master's. However, do you recommend slightly altering my personal statement to better suit the aims of the program? For instance, this master's program has more of a clinical/practicum focus and less of an emphasis on research, so should I alter my statement to reflect this? Or, would it be better to leave the statement unaltered, as my PhD rejection email said I could do? Also, is it conventional to include the names of PIs in master's application essays? Thanks so much!

It depends on the type of program. If it is an MA vs an MS matters. Sounds like an MA. They usually care about why you want to be in the profession and what drives you. Sometimes it is not advantageous to mention research if the program has a heavy focus on counseling. Try to be original and have a more specific reason than helping others

2 hours ago, plex091 said:

Hello, everyone! I was wondering if anyone heard from Rutgers (PsyD) program yet? I know the deadline is Sunday-I just feel so anxious waiting!!

From an e-mail they just sent me they have only been looking at applications for completeness that have been submitted before the deadline. The wait is killing me too but we got this!