Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Hey guys :) I know there's no specific answer, but I was wondering if I could get any advice/words of wisdom regarding interview days, managing expectations, and just dealing with anxiety overall about application statuses?? I'm a first time applicant, and I told myself I wouldn't look at this site... but I broke down cuz I wanted to see what responses other people were getting haha.

It's a slippery slope between being informed and feeding anxieties stemming from other people's experiences... I'm just not sure how to balance my knowledge that some schools are bound to still be reviewing applications, and even if my interviews goes well I might not get acceptance offers and all the million other things I'm sure I'm not alone in worrying about. Honestly, any help is welcome and appreciated - I'm trying to only let positive vibes in but still stay realistic (and it's pretty rough lol).

9 hours ago, DigitalBuddha said:

Got my first rejection! Obviously it sucks but also feels like... a release of anticipation? Like I can process it and move on, which somehow feels a bit better than feeling completely in the dark about everything.

Can anyone relate to this feeling?

I felt the same relief when I got a rejection from U of Oregon Counseling Psych program! Bummer, but I sure appreciate knowing.

I just want to check in with this page that my assumptions are likely correct.

I can assume I'm rejected from the following because these schools have only one interview day(s) and these are coming up:

Ohio State University

University of Utah

Temple University

Thank you all. So far I am waitlisted for UW Milwaukee and have an interview for UGA. 

15 minutes ago, NervousNelly12 said:

I can assume I'm rejected from the following because these schools have only one interview day(s) and these are coming up:

Ohio State University

University of Utah

Temple University

Thank you all. So far I am waitlisted for UW Milwaukee and have an interview for UGA. 

Utah is kind of a mystery, I saw a bunch of invites for one PI in mid December (PK) but then saw a prelim with the person I applied to last week...am foolishly holding out hope but it doesn't look promising as their interviews are next week

7 hours ago, NervousNelly12 said:

Ohio State University

University of Utah

Temple University

OSU had formal interviews yesterday on the 6th. I think your assumption for that one is correct. That's the only one I can comment on though. Good luck!

Edited by K3lD1Psych

Hello, everyone! Hope people are finding ways to take a break from this process. I know I'm struggling to do that. I have a questions...does anybody know how to judge if an interview went well? Any insight or anecdotes would be so appreciated. I have a few coming up, and I was curious how I could assess how successful they are. Thank you!

3 hours ago, avocado_angst said:

Hello, everyone! Hope people are finding ways to take a break from this process. I know I'm struggling to do that. I have a questions...does anybody know how to judge if an interview went well? Any insight or anecdotes would be so appreciated. I have a few coming up, and I was curious how I could assess how successful they are. Thank you!

Based on my interviews last year and some very solid advice from my research prof, I was advised to place as few judgements as possible on the perceived quality of my interview. It is normal for professors to be friendly to everyone or poker face to everyone. Reading faces and tone will not be helpful and psych you out

Edited by baldpotter

Hi everyone! I know others are feeling the interview anxiety just like I am. I was wondering if it is advised to e-mail admissions regarding the status of your application at this stage? I know some schools are still sorting through applications but if schools have sent out most of their invites is it frowned upon to ask if it is a rejection or waitlist? 

Thanks and good luck!

4 minutes ago, psychnerd5798 said:

Hi everyone! I know others are feeling the interview anxiety just like I am. I was wondering if it is advised to e-mail admissions regarding the status of your application at this stage? I know some schools are still sorting through applications but if schools have sent out most of their invites is it frowned upon to ask if it is a rejection or waitlist? 

Thanks and good luck!

I personally would not recommend reaching out to admissions at this stage. I think a lot of interview invites are yet to go out and if a program is going to extend an invite, they will reach out to you. Curious to hear what others think, though!

22 minutes ago, psychnerd5798 said:

Thanks and good luck!

Totally don't do this. I agree with @clinpsychgradschool - if you are meant to be contacted, you will be contacted, I promise. If a program has already sent out invites, or their interview date is soon/upcoming, it's safe to assume you weren't in that initial batch. It's so hard to be patient, I get it, but reaching out to departments is just going to increase their stress and workload unnecessarily. 

I do have a caveat that I want to mention. Last year, I noticed that a school had sent interview invites, waitlists, AND rejections, and I had received no communication. At that point, I did reach out to the program coordinator to check in about the status of my application. 

27 minutes ago, baldpotter said:

Based on my interviews last year and some very solid advise from my research prof, I was advised to place as few judgements as possible on the perceived quality of my interview. It is normal for professors to be friendly to everyone or poker face to everyone. Reading faces and tone will not be helpful and psych you out

I think that makes a lot of sense. So hard not to, but is definitely needed. 

Hey folks, 

With the understanding that not all folks within this forum are living in the U.S., I just wanted to share love and support for those who are challenged and impacted by the events occurring in DC. I hope everyone is finding a moment for wellness and respite right now. Please be kind to yourself, especially while we are still undergoing the admissions process amidst all of the madness. 

Does anyone know for sure if the clinical psychology program at CU Boulder has sent out all of its interview invitations? I know a previous poster asked about JA. I am also wondering about JG. I've only seen postings about interviews with other faculty members. 

Thanks, and best wishes to everyone. I hope we all find a way to do the kind of work we want to do.

Has anyone heard anything from or about:

University of Pittsburgh, UNC at Chapel Hill, University of Minnesota, Washington University in St. Louis, Georgia State University, Harvard, University of Toledo, Texas A&M, or University of Kansas?

Clinical PhD program (not counseling or experimental, etc.)

Edited by lizardlipps01

2 minutes ago, lizardlipps01 said:

University of Pittsburgh, UNC at Chapel Hill, University of Minnesota, Washington University in St. Louis, Georgia State University, Harvard, University of Toledo, Texas A&M, or University of Kansas?

I know some PIs at UNC Chapel Hill have sent out official invites, not sure if all have. Same for Texas A&M, and their interviews are on the 14th and 15th. I think the timeline is up to the individual PI for both

1 hour ago, Psychhopeful1 said:

Hi, everyone. Has anyone heard from St. Louis University Clinical Psychology or UNT Counseling Psychology? Getting nervous!

UNT Counseling sent out invites today via mass email. 

49 minutes ago, lizardlipps01 said:

For University of Kansas, I only know about the Child Psychology Program...I was informed that applications will be reviewed beginning end of December and invitations for interviews will be sent out mid-January. I'm not sure about the non-child program, though. 

For University of Minnesota, I applied to the Institute of Child Development, but have not heard back yet. Not sure about the adult track! 

5 hours ago, lizardlipps01 said:

This does not follow the proper thread format, but there were a few schools not listed which I have received interview invites from to keep everyone updated (I'll list all): 

University of Kentucky, Mississippi State University, Southern Methodist University, Kent State University, University of North Texas, and Washington State University ("pre" interview). 

Hello, 

Congratulations! Would you please tell me more about your Kent State invite? Was your email from your POI or from the program? Did you receive it today?TIA!