Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

53 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

I honestly figured that people with less research experience would apply... I don’t think a lot of people realize how competitive these programs are and I have a feeling that a lot of them applied just to apply! I am curious about how many applications this faculty member received for his lab. 

I knew that more would because of the GRE being waived. I'm honestly excited to see just how many people applied to most of these programs - I bet it's an insane percentage increase for most. These stats just make me nervous for the programs that release interview invites between now and the beginning of Jan, because I have no idea just how competitive I am this year anymore. It's kind of a toss up for everyone now unfortunately, despite the increase in technically "lower qualified" applicants.

4 hours ago, JMJt said:

Hi

How does one post their intended university, results and date for the interview etc ? 

What are the full forms of various terms posted on the below link like PI, POI etc?

To the poster who posted about Loyola University, Maryland was it a mass email?

Clinical Psychology • thegradcafe.com

Thank you!

To answer some of your question, PI and POI should both mean person of interest, aka. Faculty of interest/faculty whose lab they specifically applied to.

You would go to the results section (top of the page) of GradCafe to post your results (there should be something to click above the page), but there is a forum thread, stickied to the psychology section of the forum, where people are sharing where and when they have interviews.

Another helpful response from the same faculty member on SDN regarding what they consider “competitive”:

“I'm sure this varies based on program/lab but here are some general guidelines based on my experience. These are examples for each category, I'm not saying someone needs to have all of the things under "likely" to be competitive, just that those things would stand out in their package and up their odds.

Not enough to be competitive in my lab:
Undergrad in a lab for a semester or two
No conference presentations or manuscripts
Only one (or no) letters can speak to research skills/experience

Possibly competitive, depends on overall package:
Current undergraduate student
At least one academic year in at least one lab
Conference presentation(s) at a university/regional conference
Undergraduate honors thesis or similar (small) independent project

Likely to be competitive:
Paid research position post-degree and/or research-oriented master's
RA/lab manager in multiple labs and has letters from multiple PIs who supervised research
National conference presentation(s)
Author on peer-reviewed paper(s) (particularly if in my area)
Received funding for research (grant/fellowship, not travel award)

I do consider things like diversity and access to research activities (i.e., if they came from a SLAC or other school where there is less research) but it's hard to gauge someone's research potential from things like grades so more often than not I am ranking folks with demonstrated research experience (papers, conference presentations) and with strong letters that discuss their research activities above others. Also remember that this is a clinical PhD program at an R1, YMMV.”

Is anyone else severely struggling a lot more than they thought they would with this process...? I was fine when I submitted them, and up to about two weeks afterwards, but I am not fine now! I am truly happy for everyone here and am excited for the next generation of mental health professionals and researchers. Yet I have 0 invites. I am trying not to get down, but I did not anticipate just how terrible I would feel for the holidays. My grad student mentor said to take time for myself and my family. It's hard :( 

Edited by K3lD1Psych
too long

12 minutes ago, K3lD1Psych said:

Is anyone else severely struggling a lot more than they thought they would with this process...? I was fine when I submitted them, and up to about two weeks afterwards, but I am not fine now! I am truly happy for everyone here and am excited for the next generation of mental health professionals and researchers. Yet I have 0 invites. I am trying not to get down, but I did not anticipate just how terrible I would feel for the holidays. My grad student mentor said to take time for myself and my family. It's hard :( 

Don’t worry about hearing back already! Most programs interview in February, at least in Counseling Psychology.  The programs contacting folks now are typically programs with January interview dates. 

Anecdotally, I’ve received communication  from a few programs but they have only been programs with January Interview Dates. I have yet to hear from any February folks.

(Source: I worked in higher education)

2 hours ago, BabesDoItBetter said:

Don’t worry about hearing back already! Most programs interview in February, at least in Counseling Psychology.  The programs contacting folks now are typically programs with January interview dates. 

Anecdotally, I’ve received communication  from a few programs but they have only been programs with January Interview Dates. I have yet to hear from any February folks.

(Source: I worked in higher education)

Thanks. That helps. It's a nightmare for me right now haha. I am really kicking myself for only applying to 6, but I kept an open mind and applied to a range. I just didn't want to (and couldn't) apply to any programs I wouldn't actually be happy to attend if it were the only one I was accepted into, and I couldn't afford more than that. I got fee waivers for most programs. Five different schools I wanted to apply to were not accepting any students at all this year because of the pandemic. I had to cut my list way down to the 6 that were still admitting students. And 3 of my 6 schools have Jan. interviews on their website, so I am pretty sure I am 50% out, including my first choice (UK). Some of them are on the results page :( 

I have over 3 years research work + project managing experience in 3 different labs, 3 years asst teaching in college psych and English courses, 4.0 GPA, 9 posters (both national and regional), manuscript, 6 invited addresses/panel discussions/webinars, an honors thesis, 3 clinical internships, poster presentation award, 2 travel grants, university research grant, 9 scholarships, board committee member for international org., etc. etc. and great fit with research interest in labs. I figured I had a bit of a disadvantage from people who could still afford or access to take the GRE somehow in this pandemic mess and score well, who had publications, more research, etc., no matter how much I tried to do but didn't think I'd have 0 interviews. I didn't have scores to report and they were either not accepted or optional, so I didn't think it mattered. I just feel terrible. My LOR were from: assoc chair of dept/PI, one of my disability studies professors in another field but I took 5 courses with her and did an ind. study project with her relevant to psych, and the 3rd was the executive director of the org I am in. My thesis advisor couldn't write my letter anymore (hospitalized with severe presumed Covid) so I had to ask the director the week of to write one for me. So I only had one letter who could speak to my research more directly. I don't even know if he is ok. It has been up and down for me. Sorry this got long. It is just sooooo hard! And I can't imagine how other people are feeling with the variety of circumstances going on right now. We can do this. :( 

Edited by K3lD1Psych

Three questions for the group:

1. Texas Woman's University (Counseling Psychology Phd) - Anyone hear from them? They are supposed to have interviews on Jan 15
  2. Lehigh University (Counseling Psychology Phd) - Anyone else (in addition to the one poster on the results page) receive an email from them/ was it from the department?
  3. Boston College (Counseling Psychology PhD) - Anyone receive a department email? It appears they normally send them out in January.

14 hours ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

I honestly figured that people with less research experience would apply... I don’t think a lot of people realize how competitive these programs are and I have a feeling that a lot of them applied just to apply! I am curious about how many applications this faculty member received for his lab. 

Yeah me too, I'm also curious to know what other programs are saying.

Does anyone else think it would be useful for each clinical program to report more specific stats on research experience (number of years in paid positions, publications, presentations, conferences etc). I feel after all the effort, time and money we spend investing in this process it would be nice to have more information about those candidates who get accepted. After all it would save faculty time not having to reply to emails from candidates who don't get interviews. 

I wonder if it would be worth emailing programs after the application season to ask if they will do this? It would be useful to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Some schools (like arizona state) provide you with a working university gmail account upon submission of your application. Should I be checking this email for interview invites and general admissions updates? Or will faculty use the email from our applications as a point of contact? 

Edited by missmusical
clarification

1 hour ago, psychapplicant21 said:

Yeah me too, I'm also curious to know what other programs are saying.

Does anyone else think it would be useful for each clinical program to report more specific stats on research experience (number of years in paid positions, publications, presentations, conferences etc). I feel after all the effort, time and money we spend investing in this process it would be nice to have more information about those candidates who get accepted. After all it would save faculty time not having to reply to emails from candidates who don't get interviews. 

I wonder if it would be worth emailing programs after the application season to ask if they will do this? It would be useful to hear peoples thoughts on this.

I sincerely doubt they would do this for a number of reasons. One of the biggest ones being that the things important to individual POIs can vary. They would also not want to discourage people who may be under the average listed pubs/posters/etc. from applying as they may have something else that stands out. Also, programs report what APA requires them to report. They aren't going to do more work on top of that. It takes time to reconcile that data and put it up. Don't forget that at the same time as programs are sorting through applications, they are also teaching and advising and running a lab, and this is also internship application season, so they are providing support to their current students who are applying for internship right now, possibly defending dissertations, etc. While yes, some faculty reply to student emails asking for feedback, not all do. 

14 hours ago, K3lD1Psych said:

Thanks. That helps. It's a nightmare for me right now haha. I am really kicking myself for only applying to 6, but I kept an open mind and applied to a range. I just didn't want to (and couldn't) apply to any programs I wouldn't actually be happy to attend if it were the only one I was accepted into, and I couldn't afford more than that. I got fee waivers for most programs. Five different schools I wanted to apply to were not accepting any students at all this year because of the pandemic. I had to cut my list way down to the 6 that were still admitting students. And 3 of my 6 schools have Jan. interviews on their website, so I am pretty sure I am 50% out, including my first choice (UK). Some of them are on the results page :( 

I have over 3 years research work + project managing experience in 3 different labs, 3 years asst teaching in college psych and English courses, 4.0 GPA, 9 posters (both national and regional), manuscript, 6 invited addresses/panel discussions/webinars, an honors thesis, 3 clinical internships, poster presentation award, 2 travel grants, university research grant, 9 scholarships, board committee member for international org., etc. etc. and great fit with research interest in labs. I figured I had a bit of a disadvantage from people who could still afford or access to take the GRE somehow in this pandemic mess and score well, who had publications, more research, etc., no matter how much I tried to do but didn't think I'd have 0 interviews. I didn't have scores to report and they were either not accepted or optional, so I didn't think it mattered. I just feel terrible. My LOR were from: assoc chair of dept/PI, one of my disability studies professors in another field but I took 5 courses with her and did an ind. study project with her relevant to psych, and the 3rd was the executive director of the org I am in. My thesis advisor couldn't write my letter anymore (hospitalized with severe presumed Covid) so I had to ask the director the week of to write one for me. So I only had one letter who could speak to my research more directly. I don't even know if he is ok. It has been up and down for me. Sorry this got long. It is just sooooo hard! And I can't imagine how other people are feeling with the variety of circumstances going on right now. We can do this. :( 

Hey, rooting you on. Does anyone know of any programs this person can still apply to? Any with Jan 15th deadlines? I know that's a stretch....

You have amazing experience. These programs would be crazy not to invite you. Please, try to relax. Even take a break from gradcafe/check email just once or twice a day. 

❤️

53 minutes ago, missmusical said:

Some schools (like arizona state) provide you with a working university gmail account upon submission of your application. Should I be checking this email for interview invites and general admissions updates? Or will faculty use the email from our applications as a point of contact? 

I've only gotten one interview invite thus far, and it was delivered to the email that I included on my application. I don't think schools/PIs will expect us to use/check anything other than the email address we asked to be reached at!

There seems to be such an uptick in anxiety this year, and I just wanted to offer some perspective.

I'm on my third time applying, and each year I've learned something about myself through the application process. It's corny, but I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. In retrospect, it didn't work out in other years because it wasn't meant to be. I had more to learn from my current supervisors and mentors, I had the opportunity to find research labs to apply to this year that were a better fit for my interests, etc. That's not to say it didn't suck when I didn't get in the previous two years - it absolutely did. BUT remember that our careers have already started! We are already doing research and working in the clinical psych sector. Getting into a program is just an extension of that. There are a great deal of factors that influence admission to a program. It's not much solace, but so many qualified applicants don't get in each year. Don't give up!

All that to say, if it doesn't work out this year, take some time to grieve and then reflect on what you've learned, and how you can approach applications differently next cycle. To those that celebrate, Merry Christmas - take some time to be with family and enjoy life! There is much more to living than clinical psych applications. 

15 hours ago, zagzigzog said:

Three questions for the group:

1. Texas Woman's University (Counseling Psychology Phd) - Anyone hear from them? They are supposed to have interviews on Jan 15
  2. Lehigh University (Counseling Psychology Phd) - Anyone else (in addition to the one poster on the results page) receive an email from them/ was it from the department?
  3. Boston College (Counseling Psychology PhD) - Anyone receive a department email? It appears they normally send them out in January.

I received an invite from TWU on Dec. 11th.  Best of luck to you!

Edited by Douglard

Hi guys, hope you're all doing alright amidst the stress! This is my first cycle of applications and I had a random question, I'm not sure if anyone would know for sure.

Does your application status change when your application has been read/processed? I submitted many of my applications very close to the deadline, and aside from a program that I've heard back from, a few of them read "submitted/IP/pending/under review".

Does this change that it has been processed, or will it stay this way until final decisions have been made and sent out?

3 hours ago, everythingisfine2020 said:

Hi guys, hope you're all doing alright amidst the stress! This is my first cycle of applications and I had a random question, I'm not sure if anyone would know for sure.

Does your application status change when your application has been read/processed? I submitted many of my applications very close to the deadline, and aside from a program that I've heard back from, a few of them read "submitted/IP/pending/under review".

Does this change that it has been processed, or will it stay this way until final decisions have been made and sent out?

I'm pretty sure this doesn't change until you're accepted and admitted, or possibly rejected. Sometimes mass rejection emails mention going to your application portal to see the rejection. I don't think it's ever changed for me, interview or not, when I'm going through the process. 

Schools really should have a better way of confirming your application actually made it to the department though, so I understand your anxiousness. Some of my schools clearly state they were sent to the department for review and a few others don't even bother.

14 hours ago, babybokchoy said:

Hey, rooting you on. Does anyone know of any programs this person can still apply to? Any with Jan 15th deadlines? I know that's a stretch....

You have amazing experience. These programs would be crazy not to invite you. Please, try to relax. Even take a break from gradcafe/check email just once or twice a day. 

❤️

Thank you ? Lost my cool for a sec there. I appreciate it, and I appreciate the encouragement. Out of nowhere, I found one with a Jan 15th deadline that is actually somehow a great fit with my research interests! And thanks to everyone here for the reflections, advice, and shared thoughts/perspectives. I hope it opened the conversation and helped others dealing with this too. Happy holidays and Merry Christmas everyone. 

This is a silly question but this is my first time applying so I have SO MANY questions.....Most importantly, when do we know we should cross off a certain school from our list?

I have one school that said "We will be extending invitations to interview in January either over the phone or over email. If you are invited, we expect interviews to take place via Zoom on January 24 and 25, 2021." and I saw 4 people got formal invites already, and out of those four people was one person who did a prelim with my POI and received an official invite later. I heard nothing from this school so I'm wondering if I didn't make it to their list and should cross off this school off the list. 

Anyhow, Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrate it!

On 12/25/2020 at 1:50 AM, K3lD1Psych said:

Thank you ? Lost my cool for a sec there. I appreciate it, and I appreciate the encouragement. Out of nowhere, I found one with a Jan 15th deadline that is actually somehow a great fit with my research interests! And thanks to everyone here for the reflections, advice, and shared thoughts/perspectives. I hope it opened the conversation and helped others dealing with this too. Happy holidays and Merry Christmas everyone. 

That’s so nice to hear. Congrats! Would you mind sharing what program you found? 

I am actually looking into MA/MS programs right now (there aren't many PhD programs that are any later at this point), but the person below me did mention Purdue. Yes, they are correct, that deadline was moved to Jan 15th :) Thanks!
Other than that, Master's programs have deadlines Jan-Feb, though I think that is a given, and I am not sure if this information is helpful if someone already has their Master's degree. But hope it helps!

Editing to say I meant to respond to the above poster asking me about the programs. Oops!

Edited by K3lD1Psych