Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

So I've had something peculiar come up. I received an invite that mentioned "two potential mentors" for me, but I only mentioned one of these in my statement. I'm a bit confused at to why they would include the second one then? They're in the same general subfield, but population and focus are different from my interests. I'm honestly not particularly interested in working under them (at least primarily), so I'm not really sure how I should go about incorporating this into my prep? Should I prep as if they were a a serious match for me, so I at least don't seem like I don't care enough about the program generally? Has anyone come across this sort of situation before? ?

13 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

So I've had something peculiar come up. I received an invite that mentioned "two potential mentors" for me, but I only mentioned one of these in my statement. I'm a bit confused at to why they would include the second one then? They're in the same general subfield, but population and focus are different from my interests. I'm honestly not particularly interested in working under them (at least primarily), so I'm not really sure how I should go about incorporating this into my prep? Should I prep as if they were a a serious match for me, so I at least don't seem like I don't care enough about the program generally? Has anyone come across this sort of situation before? ?

It sounds like that person is seeing some sort of an overlap and is interested in working with you in some capacity. They may be shifting their work slightly or just be generally interested in you as a student. I would prep for both. Either way, in my experience you don't just work with your primary mentor. While I have my primary lab that I work in, I've helped on posters/manuscripts with other faculty with slightly different interests. Also, when it comes time to pick your committee, it's much easier when you already have a good working relationship with several faculty, especially if those faculty work well together. And my making strong connections was doubly helpful when my primary advisor decided to take a 1 year leave of absence for this academic year, leaving me to needing a new advisor to help oversee my dissertation. I had a faculty member volunteer to step in because I had established a good relationship with them over the last 2 years so it made the whole "relocation" process much easier. 

22 hours ago, pomegranateleaves said:

Hi everyone!! Has anyone heard from the University of Florida's counseling department? I read that that people received rejection letters today from U of F, but I think it was just the clinical track people Thanks!

I thought I’d share a timeline update with you. One of my colleagues/friends from Div. 17 is a faculty member at UF and they shared the following with me: They should be done reviewing by Dec 23. Phone interviews will happen shortly after that until Jan 6, then Interview Day Invitations will follow (for an interview date of Feb 1-2).  I hope this update helps. 

On 12/16/2020 at 9:03 AM, Neuropsych2021 said:

It would be great to start making a calendar of known interview dates to anticipate potential scheduling conflicts! I'm particularly interested in clinical psych PhD programs. Here are the ones I know so far:

The Ohio State University 1/9

University of Georgia 2/8

UT Austin 1/29-1/30 & 2/12-2/13

Kent State University 2/20

Georgia State University 2/10 & 2/12

University of Nebraska-Lincoln 2/19-2/21

SDSU-UC San Diego 2/8 & 2/9

I can't figure out how to edit my original post ?, so here is an update for clinical psych PhD program interview dates from invites or websites:

(CUDCP has added some of these dates to their calendar https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e but if anyone wants to make a google calendar be my guest!)

Stony Brook University 1/4-1/7

The Ohio State University 1/6 (but potentially spans 1/4-1/8)

Temple University 1/11-1/15

Texas A&M 1/12

University of Utah 1/14 & 1/15

University of Delaware 1/19

Miami University (Ohio) 1/19

University of Miami 1/21

Yeshiva University 1/21 or 1/28 or 2/4

UC Berkeley 1/21-1/22

Louisiana State University 1/22

Florida International University 1/22 or 1/29

George Washington University 1/22 or 1/29

University of Virginia 1/22 or 1/29

West Virginia University 1/22-1/23

UC Irvine 1/24 & 1/25

University of Arkansas 1/25

City University of New York 1/25 or 1/26

University of Missouri St. Louis 1/25 & 1/29

Fordham University 1/26-1/28

University of Alabama 1/29

University of Colorado-Colorado Springs 1/29

University of Tennessee-Knoxville 1/29

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 1/29

Virginia Commonwealth University 1/29 or 2/5

UT Austin 1/29-1/30 or 2/12-2/13

Penn State University 1/29 or 1/30

University of Houston 1/30

University of Rhode Island 2/1

University of Wyoming 2/3

Washington University in St. Louis 2/5

DePaul University 2/5

University of North Texas 2/5 or 2/8

University of Memphis 2/5

University of South Florida 2/5 or 2/12

Utah State University 2/5

University of Toledo 2/5 or 2/8

University of Iowa 2/5-2/6

Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 2/6

University of Mississippi 2/6

Palo Alto University 2/6

University of Georgia 2/8

Pacific University 2/8 or 2/15 or 3/1

UMass Boston 2/8 or 2/19

SDSU-UC San Diego JDP  2/8-2/9

UCLA 2/8-2/9

Georgia State University 2/10 or 2/12

University of Southern Mississippi 2/11, 2/12, 2/15

University of Florida 2/11-2/12 or 2/12-2/13

Syracuse University 2/12 or 2/26

Virginia Tech 2/12

University of Illinois-Urbana 2/12

George Mason University 2/12-2/13

Mississippi State University 2/15-2/17

Northern Illinois University 2/16 - 2/24

UNC Chapel Hill 2/19

Hofstra University 2/19

University of Arizona 2/19

University of Nebraska-Lincoln 2/19-2/21

University of Denver 2/19 & 2/22

University of Denver 2/19 & 2/22

Kent State University 2/20 or 2/27

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale 2/22

Uniformed Services University 2/22-2/23

University of Notre Dame 2/26

Illinois Institute of Technology 3/5

Washington State University "Mid-February"

University of Nevada-Reno "Mid-February"

Wayne State University "Late February"

1 hour ago, Dazen said:

@Neuropsych2021you are a magical human!

Has anyone heard from University of Utah? I remember seeing one post on the results page, but surprised more people haven't reported if they've sent out official invites. And I'd expect they would soon if their interviews are that early.

It’s a labor of love haha. I also applied to University of Utah and haven’t heard anything back yet 

On 12/16/2020 at 10:59 PM, Happytobehere13 said:

Hey ya'll! Just wondering if I might just scratch off University of Kentucky from my list. From the folks that received an official email, was that a mass email? 

They apparently also sent out a mass rejection (I think, according to a different topic). I only just received an email yesterday from the graduate school that said they are reviewing my application. I am not entirely sure what it means but maybe they aren't done yet. :)

3 hours ago, K3lD1Psych said:

They apparently also sent out a mass rejection (I think, according to a different topic). I only just received an email yesterday from the graduate school that said they are reviewing my application. I am not entirely sure what it means but maybe they aren't done yet. :)

I also got the same email from the graduate school! I am glad I am not the only one, I was getting a little worried maybe they missed my application or something. Not sure what this means.... do schools normally let you know if you are on a waitlist or will they just.... let you wait and email you if an interview spot opens up (first time applying so I am not sure of the protocol here)?

52 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

I got an email earlier today from Rutgers asking to fill out a supplementary survey - anyone else who applied to SUNJ Rutgers get this email? 

I did too. Personally, I think everyone did to help them sort through all the applications.

46 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Kinda wish there was a rule on the results page that posts asking for PI's just automatically get removed. It causes way too much clutter. 

I agree. If the person wanted to post the PI wouldn't they have just done that?