2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

1 hour ago, clinical_psyc_hopeful said:

Im wondering if anyone has any advice on if I should redo the GRE. My scores were 70th percentile Verbal 56th percentile Quant and 92nd percentile for Analytical. Only one of the schools I am applying to is requiring the GRE (it is my top choice) and I have a good relationship with my POI. All the other schools I am interested in applying to have waived the GRE. I have also had preliminary meetings with a few POIs. Im starting to think that focusing on the GRE instead of my research and application may hinder me instead of helping me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? 

If its Dal, theyre meeting to make a decision on Monday. 

Sincerely, a grad student advocating to remove the GRE 

On 8/29/2020 at 11:18 AM, Emilyxxxx said:

I'm not sure. I'm working on my statement of interest now and it is taking more time than I had expected. I would like to get it ready for edits in the next week because I doubt that I will have much time once school starts. I'm also going to start preparing for the funding application but I doubt that I'll be done before school starts again. 

I’m kinda in the same boat! I started my funding app but definitely don’t think I’ll have much done until October...

Ryerson applicants, and those who might enjoy some tips/insight into the application process:  

Ryerson's 1st Diversifying Psychology Recruitment Event:  https://www.ryerson.ca/psychology/news-and-events/2020/10/diversifying-psychology-recruitment-event/

On 8/30/2020 at 2:14 AM, Mickey26 said:

If its Dal, theyre meeting to make a decision on Monday. 

Sincerely, a grad student advocating to remove the GRE 

Any chance they are considering removing the GRE Subject as well? Dal seems one of the few programs that still asks for it, and it's such a headache to schedule it, since it's only in particular months and paper based (all cancelled for 2020 and probably for some part of 2021 as well).

4 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Any chance they are considering removing the GRE Subject as well? Dal seems one of the few programs that still asks for it, and it's such a headache to schedule it, since it's only in particular months and paper based (all cancelled for 2020 and probably for some part of 2021 as well).

I have also raised this concern. I'm not entirely sure if its on the agenda today (I'm not part of the committee). 

Good luck to everyone applying to year ☺️ I went through this process three times and got in on my third try. I'm currently at OISE in the Counselling & Clinical Psychology program - if anyone has any questions about the program or about clinical grad applications in general, feel free to PM me, I'd love to chat! 

Hello.

This thread isn't really appropriate for me because I am nowhere near ready to be applying for programs, and I am also more interested in Counselling Psychology than Clinical Psychology. However, I wasn't sure where else to post it, so hopefully nobody minds my post. 

I am currently living in the US, but I am from Europe originally. I don't want to return to Europe yet, and I am tired of living in the US, so I am considering applying to graduate school in Canada. I am especially interested in McGill's Master's Program in Counselling Psychology (Professional/Internship concentration). However, I do not have a Psychology degree, and the admissions requirements for people who do not are 18 credits of core courses in specific Psychology domains and 24 credits in related disciplines in the social sciences. I do not have a single one of these - my Bachelor's is in French and German, and my Master's is in Comparative Literature. I am currently working towards a certificate in Addictions Counselling from a local community college, but I don't believe those courses would count since they are not upper-division. 

I emailed McGill asking if they could recommend places to get the credits but they weren't particularly helpful, just telling me to review the admissions checklist (I already had!) and saying that many students were able to complete them online at Canadian universities. That's great but which ones??!!  

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, MaryQofS said:

Hello.

This thread isn't really appropriate for me because I am nowhere near ready to be applying for programs, and I am also more interested in Counselling Psychology than Clinical Psychology. However, I wasn't sure where else to post it, so hopefully nobody minds my post. 

I am currently living in the US, but I am from Europe originally. I don't want to return to Europe yet, and I am tired of living in the US, so I am considering applying to graduate school in Canada. I am especially interested in McGill's Master's Program in Counselling Psychology (Professional/Internship concentration). However, I do not have a Psychology degree, and the admissions requirements for people who do not are 18 credits of core courses in specific Psychology domains and 24 credits in related disciplines in the social sciences. I do not have a single one of these - my Bachelor's is in French and German, and my Master's is in Comparative Literature. I am currently working towards a certificate in Addictions Counselling from a local community college, but I don't believe those courses would count since they are not upper-division. 

I emailed McGill asking if they could recommend places to get the credits but they weren't particularly helpful, just telling me to review the admissions checklist (I already had!) and saying that many students were able to complete them online at Canadian universities. That's great but which ones??!!  

Thanks in advance!

Athabasca is a Canadian university that offers online courses that are (all?) independent study (move at your own pace, enroll anytime). I've taken one psychology course there before so can vouch for it as being a legit institution. This is my guess is to what McGill was mentioning. I'm not aware of other institutions in Canada that offer this model, so I think this is your best bet if you wish to go this route.

http://psychology.athabascau.ca/courses/index.php

3 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Athabasca is a Canadian university that offers online courses that are (all?) independent study (move at your own pace, enroll anytime). I've taken one psychology course there before so can vouch for it as being a legit institution. This is my guess is to what McGill was mentioning. I'm not aware of other institutions in Canada that offer this model, so I think this is your best bet if you wish to go this route.

http://psychology.athabascau.ca/courses/index.php

Thank you so much. That is super helpful! 

10 hours ago, MaryQofS said:

Thank you so much. That is super helpful! 

I just checked the course fees for people who are not Canadian or resident in Canada, and, unfortunately, the course I checked was $2000. Since I have so many credits I need to do, I wouldn't be able to afford this. Anybody else have any suggestions about where to do credits? Perhaps there are some Americans reading this who could give advice about where to get them in the US?

19 minutes ago, MaryQofS said:

I just checked the course fees for people who are not Canadian or resident in Canada, and, unfortunately, the course I checked was $2000. Since I have so many credits I need to do, I wouldn't be able to afford this. Anybody else have any suggestions about where to do credits? Perhaps there are some Americans reading this who could give advice about where to get them in the US?

Athabasca is one of the most expensive online university options in Canada. I would try the University of Manitoba or Memorial University, they are the cheapest (but still great Universities! They just get more funding). I took classes from the University of Manitoba while I was living in Mexico. The courses were great and I had my exams invigilated at a local school. 

Check out this link for a complete list of Canadian Universities which offer online courses: https://www.educanada.ca/programs-programmes/online-learning-enseignement-en-ligne.aspx?lang=eng

Just now, Emilyxxxx said:

Athabasca is one of the most expensive online university options in Canada. I would try the University of Manitoba or Memorial University, they are the cheapest (but still great Universities! They just get more funding). I took classes from the University of Manitoba while I was living in Mexico. The courses were great and I had my exams invigilated at a local school. 

Check out this link for a complete list of Canadian Universities which offer online courses: https://www.educanada.ca/programs-programmes/online-learning-enseignement-en-ligne.aspx?lang=eng

Thank you so much, Emilyxxxx. I'm so glad that online forums like this exist because I would be totally clueless otherwise. Having just read over the website for Counselling Psychology (Internship option) again, it seems that upper-division coursework isn't necessary (I will check, of course), so I'm thinking I might still be able to get away with doing my prereqs at the local community college here. I'm still glad to know about Canadian options, though, so thanks!

Just wondering for those who have already applied once or twice to clinical psyc programs, do you think your application to a school was harmed by not applying to funding? i am planning on applying to funding but since we can only list 3 schools (i think?), I'm worried that I wont have a shot to get in at the places that I do not list

21 hours ago, Wanderingmind said:

Just wondering for those who have already applied once or twice to clinical psyc programs, do you think your application to a school was harmed by not applying to funding? i am planning on applying to funding but since we can only list 3 schools (i think?), I'm worried that I wont have a shot to get in at the places that I do not list

Which funding agency are you referring to? I didn't know that you are limited in terms of how many schools you can list!

Can any current graduate students in clin psych share their thoughts/experiences on being co-supervised? I've heard mixed reviews from graduate students (outside of clin psych) and wondering how this may be different for this particular program.

On 9/9/2020 at 12:37 AM, Wanderingmind said:

Apply for other funding. OGS for Ontario schools, etc. There might be smaller scholarships/awards that are like 1-2k but thats still something! 

9 hours ago, NeuroLim3 said:

Which funding agency are you referring to? I didn't know that you are limited in terms of how many schools you can list!

CGS-M

8 hours ago, NeuroLim3 said:

ALSO: anyone reaching out to profs at York, Ryerson, or UTSC successfully getting a meeting (virtually) with them?

While no-one has replied to me from Ryerson or from UT (Counselling and Clinical at OISE), everyone has replied to me from McMaster. But I am a current McMaster student so maybe this makes a difference?