2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

32 minutes ago, NeuroLim3 said:

What sort of email exchanges did you have? I'm in the same boat as the person you were replying to after sending out a bunch of emails. Some professors have said they cannot do interviews before applications, some have just acknowledged my CV and said they are accepting, and a couple requested a Zoom meeting. Should I suggest Zoom meetings with profs that acknowledge my CV and respond to my email? I'm not sure if its a valuable way to spend my time given what you are saying. How common is it, or I guess how necessary is it to have this meeting prior to applications? Or, can I simply just express my interest now and once I have applied?

Also, seeing as you're in the program, I'm curious to find out what your research and clinical experience was like going into the program?

Chatting about potential research projects/dissertation topics. Although these convos can be done during the interview phases.

If THEY request the zoom meeting, I would jump at the chance for sure. B/c it shows they're inherently interested in you. If they don't request a meeting, I personally would not request a meeting (they might be busy/not doing any meetings at all so want to keep a fair playing field, etc). Again, I did not have meetings prior to submitting my application and I don't think it hindered me, personally. 

I'm happy to discuss my experience via private mssg :) But to be clear I had 0 clin experience but relatively extensive research exp for my level of training.

1 minute ago, Mickey26 said:

Chatting about potential research projects/dissertation topics. Although these convos can be done during the interview phases.

If THEY request the zoom meeting, I would jump at the chance for sure. B/c it shows they're inherently interested in you. If they don't request a meeting, I personally would not request a meeting (they might be busy/not doing any meetings at all so want to keep a fair playing field, etc). Again, I did not have meetings prior to submitting my application and I don't think it hindered me, personally. 

I'm happy to discuss my experience via private mssg :) But to be clear I had 0 clin experience but relatively extensive research exp for my level of training.

While the last two comments suggested not requesting a meeting,  I've heard the opposite. Most profs would tell you if they don't have time to meet or if they just don't meet with students. I don't think it hurts to ask to set up a meeting, if they're willing to take time out of their day to speak with you I'd argue that's a good sign even though it may not translate to an interview or offer later on.

I've always heard from my PhD mentors and faculty supervisors that it doesn't hurt to ask.

4 hours ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

While the last two comments suggested not requesting a meeting,  I've heard the opposite. Most profs would tell you if they don't have time to meet or if they just don't meet with students. I don't think it hurts to ask to set up a meeting, if they're willing to take time out of their day to speak with you I'd argue that's a good sign even though it may not translate to an interview or offer later on.

I've always heard from my PhD mentors and faculty supervisors that it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm applying to quant, but I just wanted to throw in how valuable I find these pre-application meetings. I get to talk to top researchers about subjects that they're experts on. I'm super into the research I do and it's just fun to talk to someone else who shares that passion about it. In addition they're telling me what the program is like and what they look for in applicants. So, maybe you don't have to do the zoom calls, but they're really interesting and helpful to me.

I'm back with more questions lol.

For those currently in the program: how do you afford things? Are the stipends offered enough to cover rent and living expenses without support from family, taking loans, or dipping into savings? If not, how easy is it to get funding from internal/external scholarships, TA-ing, etc. I know a lot of times, this source of funding is not guaranteed and many people don't get OGS, NSERC, etc. Do you have a part-time job outside of uni?

For those (like me) applying this fall: can you share what you know about the funding packages at your schools of interest? Also, how will you plan your expenses?

This is a big concern to me, as I have to be financially independent throughout my Master's-PhD. 

Hey everyone! Does anyone know how applications work for programs with different streams? I am looking at Windsor specifically. I am interested in two PI's, one in the child stream, one in the adult. Will it be possible to list both PI's on my application even though they're in different streams, or do I need to pick a stream beforehand? 

4 hours ago, NeuroLim3 said:

For those currently in the program: how do you afford things? Are the stipends offered enough to cover rent and living expenses without support from family, taking loans, or dipping into savings? If not, how easy is it to get funding from internal/external scholarships, TA-ing, etc. I know a lot of times, this source of funding is not guaranteed and many people don't get OGS, NSERC, etc. Do you have a part-time job outside of uni?

For those (like me) applying this fall: can you share what you know about the funding packages at your schools of interest? Also, how will you plan your expenses?

This is a big concern to me, as I have to be financially independent throughout my Master's-PhD. 

Following replies to this too b/c that last line = relatable

Does anyone know what the reference forms include? Such as the one that Calgary does, where they email your references to have them complete a reference form. Is this just a spot for references to upload their letter? Or something with prompts that they will have to do right then?

On 8/8/2020 at 5:35 PM, NeuroLim3 said:

I've had some people private message me about this so feel free to! I understand that it's pretty personal info to put on a public forum

Is it too late to be emailing POI's? I was not planning on applying this round, as I knew I would not be able to write the GRE this summer. After recently finding out the requirement for GRE has been waivered, I decided to apply this round; however, I feel like I am a little late in terms of emailing profs. Anyone know if this is a good time to still be emailing? 

Also, does anyone know what the application process is like for international students? I did my undergrad at U of T, but I am not a Canadian resident. Will this be frowned upon by admission/ am I at a disadvantage? Please let me know if you have any info on this x

1 minute ago, egyptianintoronto said:

Is it too late to be emailing POI's? I was not planning on applying this round, as I knew I would not be able to write the GRE this summer. After recently finding out the requirement for GRE has been waivered, I decided to apply this round; however, I feel like I am a little late in terms of emailing profs. Anyone know if this is a good time to still be emailing? 

Also, does anyone know what the application process is like for international students? I did my undergrad at U of T, but I am not a Canadian resident. Will this be frowned upon by admission/ am I at a disadvantage? Please let me know if you have any info on this x

I can't speak to the international student part, but you are definitely not too late to start emailing PIs! People typically start reaching out to PIs in September-October. This forum is full of keeners (myself included!) who are eager to get a head start on applications, but often PIs aren't prioritizing answering these types of emails so early (July-Aug). If I were you I wouldn't be deterred if you aren't ready to email PIs until September. Hope this helps

Just now, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I can't speak to the international student part, but you are definitely not too late to start emailing PIs! People typically start reaching out to PIs in September-October. This forum is full of keeners (myself included!) who are eager to get a head start on applications, but often PIs aren't prioritizing answering these types of emails so early (July-Aug). If I were you I wouldn't be deterred if you aren't ready to email PIs until September. Hope this helps

Thank you so much for your response! I have sent out an email today! I was also wondering, how long were your emails? So far I have been trying to make them very customized to the prof and therefore they have been 3-4 paragraphs long. Would you say this is too long? Do PIs prefer concise-- to the point emails? Let me know if you have any experience/ advice on this. Thanks again so much -- this response helped reduce my anxiety with the application process! 

@egyptianintoronto The content of introduction emails has been a point of debate here- some favour longer more detailed emails (I'm in this camp), while other people recommend keeping it brief and just attaching a CV & transcript. I'd say go with your gut and write an introduction that best represents your style. PIs are likely to have diverse preferences so you might as well attract the type of PI whose style matches with your own. In my experience overall, more senior-level scientists prefer briefer emails while younger, emerging PIs actually read through longer emails. However this is just an observation and is by no means totally true!  I guess just do what you think is best?

13 hours ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

@egyptianintoronto The content of introduction emails has been a point of debate here- some favour longer more detailed emails (I'm in this camp), while other people recommend keeping it brief and just attaching a CV & transcript. I'd say go with your gut and write an introduction that best represents your style. PIs are likely to have diverse preferences so you might as well attract the type of PI whose style matches with your own. In my experience overall, more senior-level scientists prefer briefer emails while younger, emerging PIs actually read through longer emails. However this is just an observation and is by no means totally true!  I guess just do what you think is best?

I'm going to second this. 

In the past, I've sent pretty detailed emails and received positive responses. I wouldn't include everything in the email, of course, but if you have something interesting to add to their lab, or interesting question to ask, why not? 

Always check on their lab website though - some POIs specifically ask for transcripts for first contact, or CVs. 

I think showing genuine interest should be fine either way, and then see where it goes.

Caveat - I've made great relationships with people who didn't respond to my first contact email (but interviewed me after I've applied) and then had good email contact with some POIs who either didn't interview me after I applied or decided to take someone else; so please take into account that your contact with them isn't a guarantee of anything. 

how many hours per week are you guys planning to work on apps? I've already started but I am hoping to dedicate a 3-4 hour block each week starting second week of september. Is this enough time? My cv is already ready to go. Just planning to work on personal statements and funding

22 hours ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

how many hours per week are you guys planning to work on apps? I've already started but I am hoping to dedicate a 3-4 hour block each week starting second week of september. Is this enough time? My cv is already ready to go. Just planning to work on personal statements and funding

You seem very on point! I don't really have a plan yet, but I've started brainstorming personal statement content. Hopefully I don't end up rushing at the last minute like I did with undergrad apps ?

On 8/18/2020 at 2:44 PM, egyptianintoronto said:

I have seen on a few websites that some schools aren't accepting any international applications this year due to Covid so just double check the schools site beforehand! Other than that the process is pretty similar if your from an english speaking  country I believe. Definitely not too late for emails though last year I emailed beginning of November which was late but still got a few positive responses. 

Hi Wanderingmind,

I met with a POI from the RCT program at McMaster and it was more of a meet and greet in which I was given the floor to ask questions. I was told to let them know if I was still interested in September, and then they would look for my application and start a more serious interview process. 

49 minutes ago, Emilyxxxx said:

Hi Wanderingmind,

I met with a POI from the RCT program at McMaster and it was more of a meet and greet in which I was given the floor to ask questions. I was told to let them know if I was still interested in September, and then they would look for my application and start a more serious interview process. 

Hi Emilyxxxx, do you mind PM'ing me how it went? I am really interested in their program and am looking for more info! Would greatly appreciate it!

10 hours ago, Emilyxxxx said:

Hi Wanderingmind,

Thanks!! That helps a lot :) 

On 8/20/2020 at 3:32 PM, freudianslipintogradschool said:

I'm not sure. I'm working on my statement of interest now and it is taking more time than I had expected. I would like to get it ready for edits in the next week because I doubt that I will have much time once school starts. I'm also going to start preparing for the funding application but I doubt that I'll be done before school starts again. 

Im wondering if anyone has any advice on if I should redo the GRE. My scores were 70th percentile Verbal 56th percentile Quant and 92nd percentile for Analytical. Only one of the schools I am applying to is requiring the GRE (it is my top choice) and I have a good relationship with my POI. All the other schools I am interested in applying to have waived the GRE. I have also had preliminary meetings with a few POIs. Im starting to think that focusing on the GRE instead of my research and application may hinder me instead of helping me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? 

2 minutes ago, clinical_psyc_hopeful said:

Im wondering if anyone has any advice on if I should redo the GRE. My scores were 70th percentile Verbal 56th percentile Quant and 92nd percentile for Analytical. Only one of the schools I am applying to is requiring the GRE (it is my top choice) and I have a good relationship with my POI. All the other schools I am interested in applying to have waived the GRE. I have also had preliminary meetings with a few POIs. Im starting to think that focusing on the GRE instead of my research and application may hinder me instead of helping me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? 

I think that’s personal preference if it was me and it is only one school I wouldn't bother, last year I took the GRE in November and it was super stressful studying for the test and doing applications at the same time. Plus your scores are decent and Im pretty sure UBCO (if thats the school you were referring to) the min to apply is the 50th percentile so you should be fine and your time may be better spent focusing on other aspects. But If you feel confident you could get a significantly better score maybe go for it ?