2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

20 hours ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Has anyone heard back from POIs at McMaster? The only responses I've gotten are to tell me they're not accepting :( It sounds like there's a lot up in the air at McMaster this application season.

Heard back from McMaster POI in July and we chatted in August. It's probably different for every POI but McMaster psych department is going through a lot right now (Google for more information). 

Hi all! First year clinical psychology graduate student here who remembers all the craziness that is this time of the application season from last year. I'll echo the offer of a few others before me - feel free to message with any questions about the application process, and specifically if you have questions about Simon Fraser University's clinical program! 

Wishing everyone a successful application cycle. :) 

On 9/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Has anyone heard back from POIs at McMaster? The only responses I've gotten are to tell me they're not accepting :( It sounds like there's a lot up in the air at McMaster this application season.

I got an email back from my poi there it was literally one sentence saying she will be taking a student though. 

Does anyone know if the below schools are accepting GRE scores? I know it says "not required" but will they be considered at all? And what is considered a competitive score for verbal and quant (also if anyone knows, what is a good score for York?)

• UTSC
  • Ottawa
  • McMaster
  • Western U
Edited by NeuroLim3

1 hour ago, NeuroLim3 said:

Does anyone know if the below schools are accepting GRE scores? I know it says "not required" but will they be considered at all? And what is considered a competitive score for verbal and quant (also if anyone knows, what is a good score for York?)

• UTSC
  • Ottawa
  • McMaster
  • Western U

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f6ZyVGn-opa_ijRyntHxfJJkaSNya4h-bwEDeDGInv4/edit?usp=sharing

Western is waived, no? Check the specific link for each school.

Edited by Mickey26

16 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

Does this mean they will not consider any scores sent to them? Or just that it's not required?

Hi all, I could use some advice here! I've narrowed my list of schools down to 9 clinical programs that I'd like to apply to, however I'm now worried that I might be stretching myself thin. I also plan to apply to 3 back-up experimental Masters programs and then apply for funding. All of this has to be done by December 1-ish.

For the 9 clinical programs, I have great matches and PI contact at 3 of them, good matches and okay PI contact at another 3, and good matches and very little-no PI contact at the last 3 schools. My question is, for the 3 schools that have the worst outlook so far, should I just drop them? Do other people here have experience getting interviews at programs where they have a good academic match but very little-no PI contact prior to submitting applications? Or should I focus on the 6 schools where it looks like it seems that my odds are better?

The three schools in question are McMaster, Dal, and Guelph. I actually interviewed at Guelph 2 years ago, the last time I applied for grad school. I was ultimately waitlisted. From what I've heard having a previous interview actually lowers my chances of being re-invited for an interview but I'm not sure how true this is. Any input is appreciated!

11 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Hi all, I could use some advice here! I've narrowed my list of schools down to 9 clinical programs that I'd like to apply to, however I'm now worried that I might be stretching myself thin. I also plan to apply to 3 back-up experimental Masters programs and then apply for funding. All of this has to be done by December 1-ish.

For the 9 clinical programs, I have great matches and PI contact at 3 of them, good matches and okay PI contact at another 3, and good matches and very little-no PI contact at the last 3 schools. My question is, for the 3 schools that have the worst outlook so far, should I just drop them? Do other people here have experience getting interviews at programs where they have a good academic match but very little-no PI contact prior to submitting applications? Or should I focus on the 6 schools where it looks like it seems that my odds are better?

The three schools in question are McMaster, Dal, and Guelph. I actually interviewed at Guelph 2 years ago, the last time I applied for grad school. I was ultimately waitlisted. From what I've heard having a previous interview actually lowers my chances of being re-invited for an interview but I'm not sure how true this is. Any input is appreciated!

I wouldn’t drop any schools based on low contact with PIs, if that’s the only reason. It isn’t a huge predictor of application success. I’ve gotten interviews at schools where I had no contact and flat out rejected at schools where I had a lot of pre-application contact. 

On 10/3/2020 at 8:54 AM, NeuroLim3 said:

Does this mean they will not consider any scores sent to them? Or just that it's not required?

It depends on the school. You need to inquire with each school.

1 hour ago, posprospectivepsychstudent said:

Wondering this as well, I just emailed the academic program assistant.

I emailed her like last week and she still hasn't responded.. I haven't had much luck with communicating with her tbh

Just now, posprospectivepsychstudent said:

Hm good to know. I have contacted a couple supervisors and they have not given me a definite answer on whether they are accepting a new cohort. I'll let you know if I get any updates.

I just learned that Mac doesn't know whos accepting bc they just accept the top like 5 students and then whoever those students fit best with they get to go with those profs..

18 minutes ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

I just learned that Mac doesn't know whos accepting bc they just accept the top like 5 students and then whoever those students fit best with they get to go with those profs..

Where did you hear this from?

Has anyone heard updates on Ottawa U? I'm surprised they still haven't posted a list of potential faculty.

Ps. Good luck everyone ❤️  This is my third time applying, and I'm feeling very positive about this round! 

8 hours ago, katgoheen said:

Has anyone heard updates on Ottawa U? I'm surprised they still haven't posted a list of potential faculty.

Ps. Good luck everyone ❤️  This is my third time applying, and I'm feeling very positive about this round! 

Ive been checking Ottawa constantly as well ! Last year they posted the list start of September I guess theres more uncertainty for next year hopefully its up soon. 

For any current clin psy students, did you list the school you're currently at when you applied for funding?

As per the recommendations on this forum, I am trying to be strategic and list my top picks, but also where I am most likely to get accepted to. For example, at one school, I have more PIs that I can list who's research interests align with mine. This school is not necessarily my top pick (b/c of reasons like funding, length of program, location), but I think I'm more likely to get accepted there. Is it a better idea to list this school when I apply for tri-council funding?

On 9/3/2020 at 10:57 AM, shif said:

Good luck to everyone applying to year ☺️ I went through this process three times and got in on my third try. I'm currently at OISE in the Counselling & Clinical Psychology program - if anyone has any questions about the program or about clinical grad applications in general, feel free to PM me, I'd love to chat! 

Bumping this for anyone who has any questions! :) 

Hi Everyone :)

I am wondering if a lot of you have been having preliminary meetings at this stage with your POIs? A lot of the profs I reached out to said they don't meet with students until short-lists come out in Winter. 

12 minutes ago, Hope466 said:

Hi Everyone :)

I am wondering if a lot of you have been having preliminary meetings at this stage with your POIs? A lot of the profs I reached out to said they don't meet with students until short-lists come out in Winter. 

I only met with one PI I reached out to back in August and she was the one who suggested a meeting. Most of the PIs I've spoken too as well have not been receptive to pre-application conversation (I was actually surprised so many people were organizing zoom meetings with PIs!). I don't think this is abnormal at all, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.