2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

On 10/26/2020 at 12:50 PM, Angela21 said:

Hello!

I am applying for PhD in Fall 2021 and realize I might be a bit late getting started (only started in October). Was wondering if anyone can help with a couple of questions :D 

1. I noticed that the GRE in the unis I checked is "recommended but not required", so that means I do not need to take it or submit a score?

2. Generally for Canada (Ontario) do you email the profs first before applying?

3. Does anyone have a reference or example of good Cover Letter and CV for PhD psychology? And is there a special format for Canadian unis?

4. I have research experience but no publications. How much would that affect my chances of getting into a PhD program?

5. Any guidance in applying for funding? I find it so overwhelming :(

Any advice/tips is more than welcome! Thanks in advance :) 

Hi, if you're not a Canadian citizen I would firstly look into whether or not programs will be accepting any international students this year. Some schools don't consider international students for their clinical programs, and this may be more common this year because of COVID-19. This also affects funding, because as international student you won't be able to apply for CGS-M, which is the main source of funding students entering Master's programs apply for.

There's been a lot of discussion this year about GREs because of COVID-19, if you look through the thread you'll find a resources people have shared about which school require GRE scores. In general, yes, you should get in touch with profs before applying to work with them. Publications aren't super important if you have strong research experience, I (along with others in my cohort) didn't have any publications when applying. I don't think Canadian universities are super unique in the way they expect CVs/personal statements are to be written. Search up examples of academic CVs and personal statements people have used in their applications for reference, but you really want to communicate how your past research/clinical experiences have set you up to be ready for the program you're applying for, and why you're a great match to work with the profs you're interested in. 

On 10/27/2020 at 7:33 PM, Yeye said:

Hi, if you're not a Canadian citizen I would firstly look into whether or not programs will be accepting any international students this year. Some schools don't consider international students for their clinical programs, and this may be more common this year because of COVID-19. This also affects funding, because as international student you won't be able to apply for CGS-M, which is the main source of funding students entering Master's programs apply for.

There's been a lot of discussion this year about GREs because of COVID-19, if you look through the thread you'll find a resources people have shared about which school require GRE scores. In general, yes, you should get in touch with profs before applying to work with them. Publications aren't super important if you have strong research experience, I (along with others in my cohort) didn't have any publications when applying. I don't think Canadian universities are super unique in the way they expect CVs/personal statements are to be written. Search up examples of academic CVs and personal statements people have used in their applications for reference, but you really want to communicate how your past research/clinical experiences have set you up to be ready for the program you're applying for, and why you're a great match to work with the profs you're interested in. 

Thank you, this is really helpful! 

I have a general question for how to frame SOPs: I am applying to MSc/MA clinical programs, but of course these programs are designed to be continuous (not terminal masters). My question is, should I be framing my SOP as what I aim to accomplish in my MA/MSc or in my entire PhD? I don't want to make it sound like I'm being shortsighted by only thinking of the next 2 years, but I also don't want it to seem like I'm applying to the PhD program...

4 hours ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I have a general question for how to frame SOPs: I am applying to MSc/MA clinical programs, but of course these programs are designed to be continuous (not terminal masters). My question is, should I be framing my SOP as what I aim to accomplish in my MA/MSc or in my entire PhD? I don't want to make it sound like I'm being shortsighted by only thinking of the next 2 years, but I also don't want it to seem like I'm applying to the PhD program...

I do both in mine I mention what I hope to accomplish in my masters and then my long term goals which include completing the Phd program, becoming a registered psychologist within the province, and career goals. It kinda is like applying to the phd program along with the masters in way because majority of programs only take students who will be continuing into the phd program. Thats how I see it anyway

Hi all,

This may be a weird question, but I'm currently filling in all of my personal information on various applications just to have them open and ready to submit once I'm happy with my supplementary materials. Has anyone had a look at the UWindsor application? It asks you to select your program of study that you are applying to and the only available clinical options are PhD programs. I'm wondering if I'm missing something ?.

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, LMoll said:

Hi all,

This may be a weird question, but I'm currently filling in all of my personal information on various applications just to have them open and ready to submit once I'm happy with my supplementary materials. Has anyone had a look at the UWindsor application? It asks you to select your program of study that you are applying to and the only available clinical options are PhD programs. I'm wondering if I'm missing something ?.

Thanks in advance!

I just did my Windsor application! I chose the PhD one even though I want the masters program, I assume its because they expect people to continue through the program. Hopefully I am not wrong!

3 hours ago, Wanderingmind said:

I just did my Windsor application! I chose the PhD one even though I want the masters program, I assume its because they expect people to continue through the program. Hopefully I am not wrong!

I was thinking the same thing, thanks! 

25 minutes ago, Jpsych_ said:

Hey everyone! For CGS, do we just upload our transcripts or need the institution to send them in? 

I believe we upload them.. there is no where for the institution to send them. I’ve been trying to figure this out for the past three weeks too

1 hour ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I don't think so :( I think peer-reviewed is for publications only

Conferences can be peer reviewed too. Anything you have to submit an abstract for usually goes through a review process. The CPA annual conference is a good example of this

Hey everyone, I think I made a mistake when completing the applications. 

I took 1 course during my second year of undergrad at a different university (outside of Ontario). I didn’t outline this university in the academic history section and now I can’t upload the transcript for this course. I’ve emailed the universities I’ve applied to but not sure if anyone else has run into this issue? 

I thought that since it was only 1 course and I wasn’t given a degree for it, that I could just attach it to my undergraduate transcript? Hmm not sure if I really messed this up over 1 course. Lol

Edited by Jpsych_

9 hours ago, Clin_psyc said:

Has anyone applied to the University of Calgary program yet? Can you PM me? I am confused about the word limit for the Statement of Intent

Is there a word limit? I am applying but have not submitted my application. 

In the section of the application where you can address any additional information, has anyone mentioned low GRE scores? I don't feel like my scores represent my abilities as a grad student, but not sure if I should mention this? Thanks!

Just now, Edge98 said:

In the section of the application where you can address any additional information, has anyone mentioned low GRE scores? I don't feel like my scores represent my abilities as a grad student, but not sure if I should mention this? Thanks!

Most schools aren't asking for scores. So i am simply not submitting them or writing them down when prompted in the application (I think this is right, because the apps i've worked on so far have a note saying this section isn't mandatory). I think you could consider doing that as well since we are def being thrown a bone here!

9 hours ago, Clin_psyc said:

Has anyone applied to the University of Calgary program yet? Can you PM me? I am confused about the word limit for the Statement of Intent

Also confused about this! I emailed them and they said there was no specific length limit, but my statement doesnt fit in the box. If you figure this out can you PM me? 

8 minutes ago, LMoll said:

Most schools aren't asking for scores. So i am simply not submitting them or writing them down when prompted in the application (I think this is right, because the apps i've worked on so far have a note saying this section isn't mandatory). I think you could consider doing that as well since we are def being thrown a bone here!

This program is asking for scores so I have to submit them

6 minutes ago, Wanderingmind said:

Also confused about this! I emailed them and they said there was no specific length limit, but my statement doesnt fit in the box. If you figure this out can you PM me? 

How many words is your statement? If you don't mind me asking?

24 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

Is there a word limit? I am applying but have not submitted my application. 

I didn't notice one until after writing mine. But on the website it says a one page limit. However on the application you can just copy and paste it. Not sure if I should cut my statement or just copy and paste it into the box.

Just now, Clin_psyc said:

I didn't notice one until after writing mine. But on the website it says a one page limit. However on the application you can just copy and paste it. Not sure if I should cut my statement or just copy and paste it into the box.

I was told by the clinical program director it's 1-2 pages. Also had a professor there review mine (over 1 page) and they never said anything about the length. 

25 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

This program is asking for scores so I have to submit them

Oh got it! Which school is it, if you don't mind me asking. One school I'm applying to (UManitoba) still requires it but if you look at their admissions statistics, the GRE mean scores actually aren't ridiculously high! In my opinion, I wouldn't draw any extra attention to your scores- the grad students and professors I've spoken to say its one of the least valued aspects of the application. And I know people who had weaker scores in some sections but still got interviews and even got in. I think if you draw extra attention to it, admissions may look closer. Let your strengths shine for themselves! This is just my opinion, though... if anyone has other thoughts definitely weigh in