2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

6 minutes ago, LMoll said:

Oh got it! Which school is it, if you don't mind me asking. One school I'm applying to (UManitoba) still requires it but if you look at their admissions statistics, the GRE mean scores actually aren't ridiculously high! In my opinion, I wouldn't draw any extra attention to your scores- the grad students and professors I've spoken to say its one of the least valued aspects of the application. And I know people who had weaker scores in some sections but still got interviews and even got in. I think if you draw extra attention to it, admissions may look closer. Let your strengths shine for themselves! This is just my opinion, though... if anyone has other thoughts definitely weigh in

UBC Okanagan! and I was thinking the same thing, I don't want to highlight the weaker portion of my application, so I think I will just leave it blank! Thank you

4 hours ago, Jpsych_ said:

Hey everyone, I think I made a mistake when completing the applications. 

I took 1 course during my second year of undergrad at a different university (outside of Ontario). I didn’t outline this university in the academic history section and now I can’t upload the transcript for this course. I’ve emailed the universities I’ve applied to but not sure if anyone else has run into this issue? 

I thought that since it was only 1 course and I wasn’t given a degree for it, that I could just attach it to my undergraduate transcript? Hmm not sure if I really messed this up over 1 course. Lol

I had a somewhat similar situation where I messed up the dates for my undergrad degree and I emailed the grad admissions, and they said a minor error like that isn't a big deal, because they look at transcripts to get the full history. Definitely attach it to your transcript, and they can see it was just a course! 

14 hours ago, Jpsych_ said:

Hey everyone! For CGS, do we just upload our transcripts or need the institution to send them in? 

You will need to contact all schools attended and request that they mail official transcripts to your home address. An online program and/grade summary from your school(s) is not considered official, so avoid using those. You will then scan all of the official transcripts into one master PDF document and load that in the system. The pages must be upright (i.e., in their readable position without head turning), so you may need to change some pages from a vertical to horizontal orientation or vice versa. As well, the official transcripts must be dated within six months of your application or less. For example, if you had an official transcript at home from a year ago, that wouldn’t suffice. Black and white files are preferred and the file size must be 10 MB or less. Given that transcripts take time to request and arrive, if you haven’t already done so, I suggest requesting them as soon as possible.

Edited by VanessaB

Just now, VanessaB said:

You will need to contact all schools attended and request that they mail official transcripts to your home address. An online program and/grade summary from your school(s) is not considered official, so avoid using those. You will then scan all of the official transcripts into one master PDF document. The pages must be upright (i.e., in their readable position without head turning), so you may need to change some pages from a vertical to horizontal orientation or vice versa. As well, the official transcripts must be dated within six months of your application or less. For example, if you had an official transcript at home from a year ago, that wouldn’t suffice. Black and white files are preferred and the file size must be 10 MB or less. Given that transcripts take time to request and arrive, if you haven’t already done so, I suggest requesting them as soon as possible.

Thanks! I have attended 2 post secondary schools and I have ordered transcripts from them. The last transcript I’m referring to is from University of Montreal and I ordered this transcript in 2016 and have a copy of it. Would you advise me to re-order this transcript? I was unaware they have to be within 6 months.. oh man lol 

Just now, Jpsych_ said:

Thanks! I have attended 2 post secondary schools and I have ordered transcripts from them. The last transcript I’m referring to is from University of Montreal and I ordered this transcript in 2016 and have a copy of it. Would you advise me to re-order this transcript? I was unaware they have to be within 6 months.. oh man lol 

I’ve attached the definition of what is considered official transcripts. You maybe want to double check with the faculties you intend to enter at various programs to verify their procedures.

F4CABB31-8AE3-40BA-BA35-EA087B4FC6A8.jpeg

Can anyone who is applying to Mac confirm this? As I understand it, the RCT application deadline is Dec 1st, but since the reference forms are not emailed out until you submit the app, you should be submitting well before the deadline to ensure references respond in time? Or is there a later reference due date that I have not noticed?

Thanks!

On 11/1/2020 at 2:08 AM, LMoll said:

Oh got it! Which school is it, if you don't mind me asking. One school I'm applying to (UManitoba) still requires it but if you look at their admissions statistics, the GRE mean scores actually aren't ridiculously high! In my opinion, I wouldn't draw any extra attention to your scores- the grad students and professors I've spoken to say its one of the least valued aspects of the application. And I know people who had weaker scores in some sections but still got interviews and even got in. I think if you draw extra attention to it, admissions may look closer. Let your strengths shine for themselves! This is just my opinion, though... if anyone has other thoughts definitely weigh in

This might be a silly question-- did you guys report the GRE scores to Clinical Psychology (2001) or Psychology (2016)?! :( UManitoba doesn't seem to specify.. I've been looking all over their site! 

On 10/31/2020 at 2:30 PM, Hope466 said:

I had a somewhat similar situation where I messed up the dates for my undergrad degree and I emailed the grad admissions, and they said a minor error like that isn't a big deal, because they look at transcripts to get the full history. Definitely attach it to your transcript, and they can see it was just a course! 

I’ve submitted 3 applications so far

- uoft

- Windsor 

- ryerson 

My references have only received the uoft reference request so far.. does anyone know if there is a time lag or if we need to submit all of our supplemental documents before they receive a request? 
I was under the impression that they’ll get the reference request right away.. hmm

8 hours ago, ENESKR said:

This might be a silly question-- did you guys report the GRE scores to Clinical Psychology (2001) or Psychology (2016)?! :( UManitoba doesn't seem to specify.. I've been looking all over their site! 

In ETS, I put in Clin Psych 2001 (University of Manitoba code 0973). When I first wrote my GRE, I couldn't find it on ETS at the end of my exam so I had to pay, which was annoying. But try that! I have yet to complete that on the application itself. But it's 2001 I'm pretty sure.

On 10/31/2020 at 3:17 PM, Jpsych_ said:

it says "after last term completed (if not currently registered)" so i think its fine to use a transcript if you received it after graduating. 

Hi everyone, 

I am currently drafting my statements and I was wondering if anyone knew the level of self-disclosure (amount of personal vs professional content) different schools want. I am applying to: Dalhousie, UPEI, York, Queens, McMaster, Waterloo, and Guelph. 

Thanks in advance!

On 10/21/2020 at 2:02 PM, +ve regard said:

Hi all - I am a current PhD student at U of T (OISE) CCP...if you have any specific q's about this program, feel free to dm :) Best of luck!!

Hi, I applied to OISE today. In your opiniton, what do you think helped your application the most?

8 minutes ago, iamstressed said:

Hey guys I realized I made a slight error on my resume, the way I worded something made it look a bit misleading. Do any of you have a similar experience or thoughts about how this would impact my application?

Get in touch with the grad admin handling applications. It's well before due dates, I'm sure they'll understand and make the change in your application.

Edited by Yeye

hi everybody! im a dual citizen that's hoping to apply to a lot of MA programs in clincial psych within Ontario as well as some in the US. currently im in my 4th year so i hope to graduate in the upcoming winter or spring/summer term! i actually am finishing up my BA in psych at an american university however, i am quite limited when it comes to where i can move due to family concerns (im south asian so moving out is already a huge deal, especially in my family, so im only allowed to move so far. applying to different provinces or states is kind of out of the question). i have a list of schools that i want to apply to: ryerson, western, u windsor, waterloo, mcmaster, UTSC, york, u ottawa, guelph and a couple others within the US. 

i have some research experience but im scared that its not enough. i was in a lab for 6 months and then confirmed to be in a lab in the winter semester of my third year, which just so happened to be a month before COVID happened. that position couldnt be switched virtually and therefore, i had to look for other labs. right now im in a lab for psych and doing lab work w 2 other professors finding literature reviews, annotating, etc. additionally, i dont really have work experience and my campus involvement is in 3 clubs. i dont have any publications although i might be able to this year but in the field of my minor (which is not psych) and i also havent spoken at conferences or done presentations. my gpa is a 3.78/4.0 (3.71 for just my major). additionally, my school doesnt make us write a thesis unless youre an honours student, which i am not, so i dont have a thesis but i do have research interests. 

so after giving all the details i have a couple of questions. i understand that if u do an MA youre expected to finish ur PhD usually from the same school and additionally, accreditation is v important and kids usually apply for grants to help pay tuition. im kind of just nervous because i know it's extremely competitive so i guess any advice would be great or being able to chat with someone who are in these schools graduate programs, just so i can ask some basic questions would be nice. im specifically interested in pediatric psych and would love to one day work in a hospital or clinic alongside doctors and nurses to help a patient with trauma/fear/PTSD. additionally, im really interested in looking at interventions for children, especially those of colour, and how interventions to make trauma or PTSD manageable for both the child but how parents, especially from minority groups, who think mental health is taboo (and might not know how to help their child/could make it worse), can be helped.

i guess my question is do i have a chance? is it really worth it to apply to like 15 schools (mostly MA, american ones are almost all PhD)? all of these schools have faculty that have either worked with children or have done research on PTSD/trauma so my hope is that under advisors from these schools, i can take this knowledge and research it myself and then, apply it to my skills as a practitioner. i hope this makes sense (sorry if its overflowing with rambled sentences and all over the place im quite stressed). if you go to these schools i would love to be able to chat with you about your experience and your application process, etc. id also just love to get a better feel of whether im doing this correctly and whether my credentials make me an applicant theyd even consider.

On 11/3/2020 at 12:03 AM, Ellisse said:

Hi, I applied to OISE today. In your opiniton, what do you think helped your application the most?

Hi Ellisse, good luck with your application! I think that I had a really good fit with my POI's research with a unique topic of interest. I had connected with my POI before the application and followed up in November to confirm that I was still applying - I think the persistence (without tipping the scales into being annoying :) hopefully, haha) and matched interests were appreciated. I also made a very clear case for my fit with the program, more generally, which may have helped with the committee. 

5 minutes ago, +ve regard said:

Hi Ellisse, good luck with your application! I think that I had a really good fit with my POI's research with a unique topic of interest. I had connected with my POI before the application and followed up in November to confirm that I was still applying - I think the persistence (without tipping the scales into being annoying :) hopefully, haha) and matched interests were appreciated. I also made a very clear case for my fit with the program, more generally, which may have helped with the committee. 

Another question based on your experience.. do you think it is a good idea to touch base with professors and let them know you're still applying? or only for the profs which you have pre-established conversation with? I was thinking of doing this for some profs I am very interested in working with, but have only spoken to them once.