2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

1 hour ago, +ve regard said:

Hi Ellisse, good luck with your application! I think that I had a really good fit with my POI's research with a unique topic of interest. I had connected with my POI before the application and followed up in November to confirm that I was still applying - I think the persistence (without tipping the scales into being annoying :) hopefully, haha) and matched interests were appreciated. I also made a very clear case for my fit with the program, more generally, which may have helped with the committee. 

Hi! Thanks for the reply and great suggestions by the way. I was actually debating on whether to email my POI after applying (I emailed my POI a couple of times after the initial introduction) but I guess it a good idea to establish that interest one last time. 

2 hours ago, Edge98 said:

Another question based on your experience.. do you think it is a good idea to touch base with professors and let them know you're still applying? or only for the profs which you have pre-established conversation with? I was thinking of doing this for some profs I am very interested in working with, but have only spoken to them once.

I would definitely send a quick check-in to those POIs with whom you have already connected. Sometimes it will have been several months since contact, so a reminder is appropriate (and probably welcomed). If there are any POIs that you are still really interested in but have not reached yet, there is no harm in also sending a brief note to say that you have now submitted your app listing them as a POI of interest. At best, it shows that you are keen and at worst, they will just ignore the email. No harm :) 

1 hour ago, Ellisse said:

Hi! Thanks for the reply and great suggestions by the way. I was actually debating on whether to email my POI after applying (I emailed my POI a couple of times after the initial introduction) but I guess it a good idea to establish that interest one last time. 

Yes! In my experience, profs appreciate students who are confident and proactive (rather than ones they have to chase or who give long periods of radio silence to avoid working on their thesis or dissertation, haha). Go for it and good luck :) 

Hey everyone! When completing CGS do your references get informed after you submit the whole application? Just want to know if I should prep my research proposal before or if I have until Dec 1st to do it (considering my references get informed before) Thanks!

Just now, Jpsych_ said:

Hey everyone! When completing CGS do your references get informed after you submit the whole application? Just want to know if I should prep my research proposal before or if I have until Dec 1st to do it (considering my references get informed before) Thanks!

They get informed when you add your references, before you submit your application. But that being said I would prepare my proposal in advance so you don't run into any delays or problems with the portal.

18 minutes ago, clinical_psyc_hopeful said:

They get informed when you add your references, before you submit your application. But that being said I would prepare my proposal in advance so you don't run into any delays or problems with the portal.

Thank you! Will do. Is it common the portal experiences issues when there is only 1 week left to submit?

I was planning to submit all documents by Nov 22nd. 

Edited by Jpsych_

7 hours ago, Jpsych_ said:

Thank you! Will do. Is it common the portal experiences issues when there is only 1 week left to submit?

I was planning to submit all documents by Nov 22nd. 

Last year I literally submitted my CGS like an hour before the deadline haha so It should be fine but always better to be cautious in submitting earlier 

For anyone applying to both UBC and UBCO, or two or more of the U of T campuses, have you run into problems with CGS-M and listing both? I am applying to UBC and UBCO and was told I can only list one.. which makes no sense cause they are separate institutions. I'm looking into it, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. 

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows has some information about whether applicants should or shouldn't submit a CV from McMaster's RCT program. Their website and handbook doesn't list it as a requirement but it seems hard to believe that they will just judge applicants according to a one page statement of interest and academic grades. I emailed admissions but haven't heard anything back yet so I thought that I'd try here. Thanks!!

6 hours ago, Edge98 said:

For anyone applying to both UBC and UBCO, or two or more of the U of T campuses, have you run into problems with CGS-M and listing both? I am applying to UBC and UBCO and was told I can only list one.. which makes no sense cause they are separate institutions. I'm looking into it, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. 

Hey! I checked and unfortunately we cannot apply to two departments at the same institution even though they are different campuses they essentially fall under either U of T or UBC. 

10 hours ago, sg99 said:

Hey! I checked and unfortunately we cannot apply to two departments at the same institution even though they are different campuses they essentially fall under either U of T or UBC. 

Oh I gotcha! Thank you! So when I apply to two programs within UBC I can list I'm applying to CGS-M for both since it's the same school? 

Hey on the Canadian Common CV application, for education, do we list our previous education or what we are applying for? Thanks!

also, what would you put in the user profile section where it says Research disciplines, areas of research etc. 

what research we want to complete or research we have already completed?

thanks!

Edited by Jpsych_

4 hours ago, Edge98 said:

Oh I gotcha! Thank you! So when I apply to two programs within UBC I can list I'm applying to CGS-M for both since it's the same school? 

No I think @sg99 means you can NOT do that. You have to pick a program and school. So you can only choose only 1 program at UBC (either at UBCO or UBC-V). It makes more sense on the website. You will first choose UBC and then pick a program/department (such as Okanagan Psychology)

9 minutes ago, clinical_psyc_hopeful said:

No I think @sg99 means you can NOT do that. You have to pick a program and school. So you can only choose only 1 program at UBC (either at UBCO or UBC-V). It makes more sense on the website. You will first choose UBC and then pick a program/department (such as Okanagan Psychology)

Okay! I'm a bit confused now though cause I ended up emailing UBC and they said you can transfer the award between the institutions, and said it's fine if I listed it on both applications for that reason. Maybe UBC is a bit different in this case (it is also both for clinical programs). Also sorry I'm referring to the university application (ie. listing I am applying to CGS-M) but only choosing one of them to list on the CGS-M application.

Edited by Edge98

52 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

Okay! I'm a bit confused now though cause I ended up emailing UBC and they said you can transfer the award between the institutions, and said it's fine if I listed it on both applications for that reason. Maybe UBC is a bit different in this case (it is also both for clinical programs). Also sorry I'm referring to the university application (ie. listing I am applying to CGS-M) but only choosing one of them to list on the CGS-M application.

Ohh, Okay I would go with what they told you then.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:59 PM, Emilyxxxx said:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows has some information about whether applicants should or shouldn't submit a CV from McMaster's RCT program. Their website and handbook doesn't list it as a requirement but it seems hard to believe that they will just judge applicants according to a one page statement of interest and academic grades. I emailed admissions but haven't heard anything back yet so I thought that I'd try here. Thanks!!

I feel this so much haha. I had the same question and emailed the grad coordinator a while ago asking if it would be okay to also attach a CV, and the only reply I got was "A CV is not required." This definitely did not answer my question so still unsure if I will attach my CV. I am also finding it difficult to include everything in the one page statement of interest, so I would really like to submit my CV as long as I am not in some way penalized for doing this. Also curious, are you submitting 2 references or 3? It doesn't specify on the RCT program page so I am assuming only 2 are needed?

12 hours ago, Jpsych_ said:

Hey on the Canadian Common CV application, for education, do we list our previous education or what we are applying for? Thanks!

also, what would you put in the user profile section where it says Research disciplines, areas of research etc. 

what research we want to complete or research we have already completed?

thanks!

List your previously completed education.

Match your profile selections to your research proposal. If your proposed research is vastly different from your past research, in your proposal you’ll want to touch on how you’re prepared to conduct research in an area you’re less familiar with.

Just now, VanessaB said:

List your previously completed education.

Match your profile selections to your research proposal. If your proposed research is vastly different from your past research, in your proposal you’ll want to touch on how you’re prepared to conduct research in an area you’re less familiar with.

Thank you! I also noticed on the CGS application, there is one section where you copy paste/type in regarding your research and another section where you attach the actual 1 page proposal. I was assuming these would be similar? 
Where would you recommend me outlining how I was prepped, in the actual 1 page outline or the type-in section? Thanks!

Just now, Jpsych_ said:

Thank you! I also noticed on the CGS application, there is one section where you copy paste/type in regarding your research and another section where you attach the actual 1 page proposal. I was assuming these would be similar? 
Where would you recommend me outlining how I was prepped, in the actual 1 page outline or the type-in section? Thanks!

It sounds like you’re talking about the 1800 character summary versus the actual 1-page proposal. You’d discuss something like that in your 1-page proposal. Given the limited space, you won’t have much room, so you’ll have to be concise and find a way to tie it into everything else you have in your proposal.

8 hours ago, VanessaB said:

It sounds like you’re talking about the 1800 character summary versus the actual 1-page proposal. You’d discuss something like that in your 1-page proposal. Given the limited space, you won’t have much room, so you’ll have to be concise and find a way to tie it into everything else you have in your proposal.

Thanks! And what would I discuss in the summary? Would it be about the research I want to complete?

sorry for all of the questions. These applications literally keep me up at night :( 

THANK YOU!!

1 hour ago, Jpsych_ said:

Thanks! And what would I discuss in the summary? Would it be about the research I want to complete?

sorry for all of the questions. These applications literally keep me up at night :( 

THANK YOU!!

You’re summarizing the research you’ve proposed and are planning to undertake. Don’t just copy parts of your proposal though. You’ll want to find another way to explain things. Explain things in plain, easy-to-understand language. If you get the funding, your summary could be posted for the public to read what your research is all about, so anyone from any discipline or the general public should be able to read the summary and understand what’s going to happen and what your research is all about.

18 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

You’re summarizing the research you’ve proposed and are planning to undertake. Don’t just copy parts of your proposal though. You’ll want to find another way to explain things. Explain things in plain, easy-to-understand language. If you get the funding, your summary could be posted for the public to read what your research is all about, so anyone from any discipline or the general public should be able to read the summary and understand what’s going to happen and what your research is all about.

Thank you!

16 hours ago, janelove said:

I feel this so much haha. I had the same question and emailed the grad coordinator a while ago asking if it would be okay to also attach a CV, and the only reply I got was "A CV is not required." This definitely did not answer my question so still unsure if I will attach my CV. I am also finding it difficult to include everything in the one page statement of interest, so I would really like to submit my CV as long as I am not in some way penalized for doing this. Also curious, are you submitting 2 references or 3? It doesn't specify on the RCT program page so I am assuming only 2 are needed?

I just went by what it says on the graduate applications page (https://gs.mcmaster.ca/how-to-apply/) and submitted two references. 

I ended up submitting my CV anyways. I sort of figured that if they don't want it they will just disregard it. Honestly, I have a feeling that although they don't require a CV, if provided with one, they will still use it in their evaluation. I really wish that they were more clear. It's a pretty important aspect to the application especially since the SOI is so short.