2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

1 minute ago, VanessaB said:

Yes, you need to include in-text citations as well as the corresponding reference list that follows the proposal. The proposal will be one page and your references will be on a second page.

Thanks! I meant the more informal 1800 character summary. Would I add in-text citations in that?

Is there a specific title we should have for our outline of proposed research document? Or can we just call it: "outline of proposed research"

Also, in the CCV, do we included transfer credit? Even if it was added to our degree? Do we need to include ALL past post-secondary education, even if it was not completed or irrelevant to the application?

Edited by Edge98

1 hour ago, Jpsych_ said:

Thanks! I meant the more informal 1800 character summary. Would I add in-text citations in that?

Ohhhh, okay! No, you don't need to put references into the summary description.

1 hour ago, Edge98 said:

Is there a specific title we should have for our outline of proposed research document? Or can we just call it: "outline of proposed research"

Also, in the CCV, do we included transfer credit? Even if it was added to our degree? Do we need to include ALL past post-secondary education, even if it was not completed or irrelevant to the application?

Are you talking about the education section? For that section, just list your degrees earned and in progress (if currently enrolled in a program). Don't worry about if you took a course here or there.

Just now, VanessaB said:

Are you talking about the education section? For that section, just list your degrees earned and in progress (if currently enrolled in a program). Don't worry about if you took a course here or there.

Yes I am. And okay perfect! I noticed it says to include transcript of transfer credit, so I should include that in addition to my bachelor's transcript correct? Thank you!

1 hour ago, Regina77 said:

thanks Vanessa that helps. am lucky in that my first degree was honors psych then went into 2nd degree for healthcare....so from what you are saying do you think your experience in education  and degree in psych helped your chances?

Yes and no. It varied across schools and programs. For example, the program I'm in now is housed in the Dept. of Educational Psychology, so it's a great fit just from that standpoint alone. Furthermore, the program I'm in combines school and clinical child psychology in a dual specialization, so given my teaching background and applied work with children, it was once again a great fit. As well, I want to do educational, arts-based research because one of my other degrees is in fine arts. Some schools and supervisors were more or less open to this line of research, and I found their openness (or lack thereof) varied depending on the focus of the program. My best guess is the combination of my applied experience, recent research experiences related to education and psychology, extensive volunteerism, and excellent references all played a role.

Edited by VanessaB

Just now, Edge98 said:

Yes I am. And okay perfect! I noticed it says to include transcript of transfer credit, so I should include that in addition to my bachelor's transcript correct? Thank you!

Yes, for the transcript section include every transcript even if there's one course on it.

Just now, VanessaB said:

Yes, for the transcript section include every transcript even if there's one course on it.

I started in a diploma program over 4 years ago that I did not complete, would I include transcripts for that too? It seems irrelevant so I would assume no, but I thought I should check anyways. Thank you for your help Vanessa!

Just now, Edge98 said:

I started in a diploma program over 4 years ago that I did not complete, would I include transcripts for that too? It seems irrelevant so I would assume no, but I thought I should check anyways. Thank you for your help Vanessa!

Yes, you must include every post-secondary transcript you have even if you think it's irrelevant.

Hey everyone! I hope you're doing well and are safe.

I'm a 4th year student in psychology and hoping to attend graduate school for clinical psychology, however I have decided to apply next fall instead. I know many of you are busy with applications still, but I was wondering if there was any useful tips/advice anyone could give me on the application process (i.e. statement of purpose, references, research experiences, etc.) or anything that you have learned. I don't really have strong research experience as a lot of the other students here (I've only volunteered in two labs, the second got cut short by Covid) and my cgpa is really low (2.88). However, in my third year I achieved a 3.51 and this semester I have been studying really hard to boost my grades. I have lots of volunteer and extracurricular experiences, but not much to do with psychology unfortunately. I am hoping to complete an independent study next semester as well as to work in a research lab in the summer (probably online). Is there any hope to get into clinical psych? I don't really know if there's any students who got into clinical psych without completing a thesis, so I'm a bit worried. I was even thinking about taking an extra year but was discouraged to do so by faculty and I was told it was best to just graduate and start working. I think it would be helpful to hear other students' point of view! Anything helps! Thank you and good luck in your own applications.

(*also I am hoping to apply to the programs offered at Waterloo, Queens, Windsor, McMaster, Ryerson, and maybe UPEI).

41 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

Yes and no. It varied across schools and programs. For example, the program I'm in now is housed in the Dept. of Educational Psychology, so it's a great fit just from that standpoint alone. Furthermore, the program I'm in combines school and clinical child psychology in a dual specialization, so given my teaching background and applied work with children, it was once again a great fit. As well, I want to do educational, arts-based research because one of my other degrees is in fine arts. Some schools and supervisors were more or less open to this line of research, and I found their openness (or lack thereof) varied depending on the focus of the program. My best guess is the combination of my applied experience, recent research experiences related to education and psychology, extensive volunteerism, and excellent references all played a role.

Exactly! reading your response is exactly what I am worried about that my applied experiences might not fit perfectly with the program  like sounding too medical etc .....anyhow hope all the pieces come together increase my chances...

6 hours ago, Regina77 said:

Exactly! reading your response is exactly what I am worried about that my applied experiences might not fit perfectly with the program  like sounding too medical etc .....anyhow hope all the pieces come together increase my chances...

Just a thought, but maybe in your letter/statement of intent you could explain why you think your experiences make you an excellent fit for the program? Even if you’re worried they’ll think you’re not a good fit, consider it your job to convince them. Basically think of it as “selling” yourself to a committee.

Edited by VanessaB

Hi! Does anyone know how long (word limit, page limit, etc.) the Statement of Interest is supposed to be for the Clinical Psychology (Child Track) program at the University of Windsor? I can't find information about SOI requirements anywhere on their website. Thanks!! 

Just now, PsychOtter said:

Hi! Does anyone know how long (word limit, page limit, etc.) the Statement of Interest is supposed to be for the Clinical Psychology (Child Track) program at the University of Windsor? I can't find information about SOI requirements anywhere on their website. Thanks!! 

Pretty sure it's 2 pages single spaced-- that's what I read and that's what I am sticking to!

"Applicants are required to write a personal statement regarding interest in graduate training in the field. Applicants should describe their research interests and indicate potential faculty member supervisors whose research interests are compatible with their own. The statement should be no more than two pages, single-spaced." 

^^This is on their Psychology department admissions page

2 hours ago, egyptianintoronto said:

Is anyone else not finding the RCT program at Mcmaster in the application portal? I am looking to apply for the research & clinical stream at Mcmaster (entry at the master's level). It doesn't give me the option to select the program though. Is anyone else having this same difficulty? Please let me know.

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 3.28.48 PM.png

There isnt a separate selection for it for Msc just select the Neuroscience and behaviour and specify in your letter of intent you are applying to RCT. Im pretty sure theres a box you select within the application too that asks you if you are applying for RCT on one of the later pages.

Anyone applying to York U also applying to OGS? I am considering not listing them for CGS-M, but then in order to apply to OGS I have to ask my references to complete an assessment form...

Does anyone know if they will have to mail it or email it? I'm confused about this process.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and planning on applying to uottawa. I contacted a bunch of potential supervisors and one of them responded back very positively but he is unfortunately not affiliated with the school of psychology (affiliated with the Royal though which is affiliated with the school of psychology). He told me to email the department to ask if it's all right, but I wanted to know if anyone has experience/knowledge of inter-department supervision in clinical psych at uottawa? thanks so much

On 11/20/2020 at 11:59 PM, Regina77 said:

thanks yet again. Another question are there any in your cohort or other cohorts coming with healthcare backgrounds like occupational health nutritionist nurses etc? I have a healthcare background and I wonder if it works against me but hope the program values interdisciplinary backgrounds or maybe not? what do you think?

Your career experience will NOT work against you, if anything, it will be welcomed. In my cohorts and others, there are a wide range of students with previous life-career experience including corporate sector (me!), health care, professional musicians/singers, activists, parents etc.

As long as you have the psych pre-requisites plus some research background and can make a case of how this enhances and informs your interest in psychology, you will be fine. One of the strengths of the OISE program is that the cohorts have an eclectic range of experiences, which makes class discussions and research ideas really novel. 

Hi! for the CCV, I added my in-progress honours thesis under "thesis and dissertations." However I noticed when I preview the CCV this shows up under publications, but my thesis is not published. Is it still okay to have this included or should I remove it? Thank you

7 hours ago, +ve regard said:

Your career experience will NOT work against you, if anything, it will be welcomed. In my cohorts and others, there are a wide range of students with previous life-career experience including corporate sector (me!), health care, professional musicians/singers, activists, parents etc.

As long as you have the psych pre-requisites plus some research background and can make a case of how this enhances and informs your interest in psychology, you will be fine. One of the strengths of the OISE program is that the cohorts have an eclectic range of experiences, which makes class discussions and research ideas really novel. 

Great! such a relief to hear. thanks!